Dr. Afshin A. Safa, MD

Dr. Afshin A. Safa, MD

Radiation Oncology | Male | 48 years old

Provide state of the art medical care for our patients in a friendly, compassionate and professional setting.Read more

Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Cancer Center

Learn about this Doctor

Dr. Safa's Experience

See how Dr. Safa's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Safa

Dr. Safa accepts 11 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Safa has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Safa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Safa to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Safa
Dr. Safa's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (45)
in Woodland Hills, CA |
I am truly grateful, well, really fortunate, to have been under the care of Dr. Safa and his superhero-like staff: Jennifer, Hasmukh, Jessica, Raymond, Tracy and Gloria. From day one, I was treated with the utmost of care, compassion, thoughtfulness, and exactitude. Dr. Safa is a super-pro; a great communicator, easy to understand and his attention to detail and exactness is invaluable. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his exemplary staff - made my 6 weeks of radiation feel like 2 weeks.
in Van Nuys, CA |
I am truly grateful for the kind and caring staff of the radiation oncology department. They made radiation therapy as pleasant as possible. Thank you Dr. Safa, Jennifer, Gloria, Hasmukh, Raymond and Jessica and all those whose names I have forgotten.
in Santa Clarita, CA 91350 |
I trust Dr Safa completely. He is caring about his patients. He is patient, knowledgeable and honest when explaining my condition and expectations. I would recommend his services to my family and friends. My husband and I just love him. His staffs Jennifer, Gloria, Raymond and Hsook are just amazing as well.
in Chatsworth, CA |
I was the patient of Dr. Safa year 2002 for breast cancer and after 14 yrs. I became again his patient this yr. 2016 for lymphoma. I was surprised to see him again. He's so accommodating, friendly and everything well explained. I felt comfortable with him. I appreciate also Gloria at the reception (who for 14 yrs.) still there. She's very accommodation and helpful and always smiling to patients. I'm also thankful for the wonderful staff like Jennifer, Raymond and Jessica.
in Reseda , CA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Safa for the past 12 years and I have beaten my metastatic lung cancer to the brain and have no disease at 12 years. now I have another lung cancer which I was successfully treated with Stereotactic radiation for 5 sessions. Doing very well. I wanted to thank all the therapists and nurses and receptionists. they are a super team and I love them all.
in Northridge, CA. |
wonderful people. everything was made easy to understand. I was vary confident that it was the best possible treatment. Raymond and Jessica are the best. Cant say enough good things aout this team.
in Lancaster, CA |
Dr. Safa and his crew to include Hasmukh, Raymond, Jennifer and Gloria, were very helpful and knowledgeable. These are good people who did an excellent job. I was very happy with the entire experience. This was a low stress series of treatments and was always good to know that I was in good hands.
in Van Nuys, CA |
Cancer is supposed to be a negative and scary situation, but I enjoyed coming here because the people are so warm and welcoming. This is the first time I've had this positive experience in a doctor's office. Gloria and Jennifer are gems, always a warm welcoming smile. Raymond was the ultimate professional-friendly & warm. Dr. Safa is an amazing doctor. He took time to explain things to me, and I trusted him completely. I am sorry my treatments are over-I will miss each one!
in LA, CA |
Dr. Safa and Staff were great! My whole experience at the clinic was pleasant and stress free. I'm grateful for all the nurses; Jennifer, Hasmik, Gloria and all others. They treated me like family. Thank you all for your help and for making me feel good again.
in northridge , CA |
Dr. Safa is the most kind ,understanding ,doctor i have ever met .His staff -Jennifer,Hasmuk,Jessica and Raymond,are always ready to help you in any way you need them. Always patient and smiles that never end. Dr.Safa is always there if you have any questions or need him to explain anything,he is there for you. I cant say enough good things about him. thanks to all them Merry Brighty Knight
in Northridge, CA |
My husband had a follow-up appointment for his prostate cancer. After following up on my husband's radiation treatments, I had some questions regarding some of my health issues. Dr Safa graciously & willingly answered my questions. He really wasn't obligated in doing so, since this appointment was for my husband. That's a testament of a compassionate & caring doctor. Nurse, Jennifer always caring & upbeat with a good sense of humor. Our thanks to: Raymond, Hasmuk , Gloria &Yesinia.
Sacramento, CA |
Dr. Safa is just as excellent , he is clear an simple to understand.
in Porter Ranch, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff, Jennifer, Raymond Hamun, and Gloria are just wonde4rful. Actually after I completed my Radiation, I truly missed them. The treated me with love and affection to the point that I felt they were my dearest to my heart. I can only say they are the best! Nora
in Encino, CA |
My mom just completed 18 rounds of radiation. Dr. Safa and his staff are wonderful. Dr. Safa, Jennifer, Ray, and the staff have made my mom feel comfortable, safe, and important during this stressful time. They all listen to our needs and concerns. The massage therapists are wonderful as well.
Northridge, CA |
Dr Safa and his staff (Jennifer, Hasmik, Raymond, and Jessica) are extremely caring. Hospitals can be a scary and uncomfortable place, but everyone here goes above and beyond to make sure that you feel like a person who is cared for.
in Sylmar, CA |
Dr Safa is a wonderful doctor. He makes me feel calm and relaxed and gives me hope. He makes me feel like I can beat my illness. I would recommend him highly.
in Northridge, CA |
I have had wonderful care and therapy from Dr. Safa and his staff. I was treated with the utmost kindness and respect by Dr. Safa, Jessica, Raymond, Jennifer, and Gloria along with other staff members. They all made this experience less scary. Their explanations of what my treatment would entail and the time they spent with me was invaluable. Each one of them gave me their expertise in this field and their human skills were beyond excellent!
Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff are incredible and everytime I was here everything was perfect. I did not feel like a patient , I felt like a family From the beginning they have been there for me. This includes being met by Gloria front desk, who made me feel welcome and safe. Hasmukh, Raymond Jessica were professional and caring and helped me through some very difficult times. Dr. Safa and jennifer always concerned and had time for me and did not feel like a number. I felt like seeing my family
in Porter Ranch, Ca |
He is not only extremely knowledgeable but he relates to the patients on a personal level. He takes the time needed to insure you feel comfortable and understand the treatment plan.
in Northridge, CA |
Kind, considerate, patient and understanding. Knowledgeable,and explains everything in layman terms
in Stevenson Ranch, CA |
I felt very safe and well taken cared of not just by Dr. Safa but with everyone starting with Gloria, Jennifer, RN Hasmack and Raymond. I never felt sick and they never treated me like I am sick. I am always greeted with genuine smile. Thank you for taking care of me.
in Sherman Oaks, CA |
Dr. Safa and all the Leavey Cancer Center staff are professional, kind, and supportive. If every workplace exercised their same common sense and expert processes for success, we would have an awesome planet! The attitude in this center probably accounts for more than half of my healing, which sped my recovery time. I have bragged about the center to my friends; it is an oasis in the medical field. Congrats re: your award as a top cancer center in the U.S. So lucky to have come here!
in Porter Ranch, CA |
Dr. Safa has been treating me for over 15 years. He has done an excellent job on treating my prostate cancer. I would recommend him to my family and friends. during my appointments, he takes the time to explain everything to me.
in West Hills, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff are remarkable. From the beginning they have been there for me and my family. This includes being met by Gloria at the front desk, who made me feel welcome and safe. And, the radiation staff was incredible. Hasmukh, Raymond and Jessica were professional and caring and helped me through some very difficult times. Dr. Safa was always concerned about my well being on both a professional and personal level. I want to thank the entire staff for all of their help.
in Sherwod Fprest. CA 91325 |
It was 4 years ago I met with Dr Safa as being referred from USC Norris Cancer center. My PSA number is going up - again . It has been <0.03 for the 2 years I was under the Lubron Therapy.. Was I scared - YES, but not for long. In the conversation with Dr Safa I had that inner feeling that he will permanently kill the cancer and get the job done.The treatment was started soon after and Dr Safa's staff was just so caring and professional through all the 38 visits Very Thankful the job got done
in Sylmar, CA |
Dr. Safa shows true compassion and care while still very professional. He seems to understand what his patient is going through and takes the time to explain, in layman's terms, the procedures and treatments. This difficult time in my life was made easier to deal with, knowing that I had a strong support group with Dr. Safa and his staff. His staff is always very attentive, helpful and compassionate.
Dr. Safa and his staff are exceptional. From the very first appointment the staff was welcoming and genuinely care about you. They explain treatments thoroughly and make things as comfortable as possible during treatment. Even after treatment is complete they are still interested in how you are doing. I am extremely pleased with the level of service provided by Dr. Safa and his wonderful staff. I would recommend this office without hesitation.
in NORTHRIDGE , CA 91324 |
he care he make you feel at home he ask me to quit smoking i quit.he is the best.
in Sylmar, CA |
My involvement with Dr. Safa's office was not as a patient, but through bringing my mother-in-law for several of her radiation appointments. I told Dr. Safa how Impressed I was with his team. Clearly they had been doing their jobs for a long time and even after that they had not lost their caring attention to their patients. What I found interesting was that they also treated me, a family member, with that same level of sensitivity. What a great group of professionals!
in Van Nuys Ca |
the staff here is very professional, it is always a pleasure to come when we bring our father here . you dont have to wait long in the waiting room, they greet you and your whole family and it is an all round great experience.
in Newhall, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff have been and are beyond helpful, effective, caring and in addition charming. When my treatment is concluded I know I will miss them. They have made a frightening illness and procedure bearable. They have alleviated my fears as well as my pain. Thank you Gloria, Jennifer, Raymond, Jessica and Hasmukh.
Dr Safa was amazing. He told me all my options and we came up with a plan. I am happy to say I am cancer free now. His staff was amazing as well. Raymond was my tech and he always made me feel at ease. Everyone did their best to make this an easy experience.
in Chatsworth, CA |
He is a very nice, caring, knowledgeable doctor. He has lots of patient. He is the best of the best.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa has been wonderfull and caring. He has explained my treatment in an easy to understand way. Jennifer RN and Gloria receptionist are really nice and caring also. They are both very upbeat, it's always nice to see them. The radiation techs are very professioanl and nice. I would totally recommend others to come here for excellent care The whole office has been great. Michelle Lockwood
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa communicated the best than any other doctor that I have met in my lifetime. I have many doctors in my lifetime- and I am 82 years old. His staff and specially his nurse are excellent and she was marvelous kind and considerate.
in West lake Village, CA |
Dr. Safa has been treating my brain tumor for the past 2 years. He and his staff has done an excellent job in taking care of both my medical needs and mental needs. They have constantly encouraged me to stay positive, and they have been there always (even at off hours) when I need medication or referral. Dr. Safa did the whole head radiation and Gamma knife in May 2014, and have done regular checkup ever since. I firmly believe that Dr. Safa's team are very valuable and really save life.
in Sylmar |
Dr Safa is very knowledgeable and caring. He takes the time to explain everything in detail to make sure I understand to the extent of writing notes for me to review should I forget anything. I am never rushed and feel he truly cares. He not only makes me feel comfortable but also makes sure my family understands everything aswell. I would highly recomend Dr. Safa and his team they make you feel like family.
in Chatsworth, CA |
As the caregiver I didn't expect that my thoughts and well being would matter so much to Dr Safa and his team, I was mistaken. From the very first appointment everyone in the office gave me their support in taking care of my loved one. They made sure that I had all of the tools and resources needed to make my job easier. Dr Safa made sure that I understood what was going on and answered all of my questions. I am so grateful that we had this marvelous team to walk with us during this journey.
in Northridge, CA |
I don't think I have ever been treated with so much care and compassion as I have when visiting Dr Safa and his amazing staff. From the minute you walk in the door, you are treated as family, from the office staff at the front desk to the nurses and therapists helping with my daily care to Dr Safa himself. Going through such a difficult time I never expected to be happy to see the smiling faces that greeted me every day let alone miss them when my treatment was over.
in Pasadena |
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Safa, radiation therapists Jessica, Raymond, Hasmukh, and Nurse Jennifer. I was extremely scared of radiation for Stage 3 breast cancer, but after just one visit meeting everyone, I was completely at ease and trusted I made the right choice to come here. Everyone there was compassionate, understanding, and very knowledgeable. Getting 35 radiation treatments (5 days a week for 7 weeks) became less daunting and more like visiting family.
Sherman Oaks, CA |
Dr. Safa is an enormously compassionate physician, as well as extremely competent and knowledgable. In addition, his entire staff/team is absolutely outstanding. Everyone from the receptionist, the nurse and the radiation oncology technicians are warm, caring, competent and efficient. We have been so satisfied with the care.
in Winnetka, CA |
Not only Dr. Safa, but his entire staff was more than excellent, especially Jennifer, Raymond and the radiology techs. Treatment and personnel were wonderful.
Reseda, CA |
He is one of the best physicians I have consulted, His explanation of procedures and treatment are very clear, that I understand well . He is also very kind and caring. I would recommend him to any patient need his service, without any hesitation. Moreover his staff also have a kind and caring attitude when i visit.
in Northridge, CA |
My grandmother has been a patient of Dr. Safa's since the beginning of 2016 due to her medical problem. Dr. Safa and the staff of Thomas & Dorothy Leavey Cancer Center have been a pleasure to see. Although her situation isn't curable, it has been a wonderful/smooth experience for us every time we make a visit either for radiation therapy or a general followup. Highly recommended healthcare provider(s).
in Reseda, CA |
He is one of the best Doctors I know. He is kind and caring. Explains everything so that I understand it. Always ask if I have an questions for him. I could not ask for anything more. Plus his staff is so nice and helpful and aways has a smile on their faces. Love this place and would tell everyone to go here.
in San Fernando, Ca. |
Everytime I walk into this office, I am greeted with sincerity and kindness. Dr. Safa has always been thorough and honest. I always leave with a positive attitude and appreciation of his work and am glad that I have found this staff that treats me like no other.
in Simi Valley, CA |
Getting a diagnosis of cancer is a life changing moment, you have to have a team that you have faith in, a team that you can trust to take care of you. I found that team lead by Dr. Safa. I aways felt this was a passion for him. All my questions were answered with thoughtful intelligent answers. This is not a widget business, I can't imagine going through this with a factory doctor giving you 15 minutes of alloted time. This is very personal work done skillfully by Dr. Safa.
in Northridge, California |
Terrific, very knowledgable and helpful in understanding my challenges.
Calabasas, CA |
excellent physician and easy to talk to
Have you seen Dr. Afshin A. Safa, MD?
Are you Dr. Safa?

• Metastatic Cancer
  • Prostate Cancer

• Brachytherapy
  • Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
  • Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
  • Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
  • Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery

No malpractice history found for California.

University Of California, San Diego, School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1995

University of California At San Diego

Completed in 1996

University of California, Los Angeles. (UCLA)

Completed in 2000

• Listed in The American Breast Cancer Guide, 2005
    • AMA Physician Recognition Award, 1999
    • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2010
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/Whit, 2005-2006
    • Los Angeles Radiological Society Award for Contribution to the Growth & Development of the society, 2006
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2003-2004
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC:Woodward/White, 2007-2008
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2009-2010
    • RSNA Research Resident Grant- $30,000 Stipend for “Investigating the role of radiation therapy in prevention of restenosis in vascular grafts, 1998
    • First Place Scientific Exhibit Award for Oncology - Los Angeles Radiological Society, 1999
    • Winner of “Top Healthcare Professional in the Valley”. San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 2006
    • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2011
    • Positron Emission Tomography: An Independent Indicator of Radiocurability in Head and Neck Carcinomas, 2000
    • Accuracy and Clinical Impact of Mediastinal Lymph Node Staging with FDG-PET Imaging in Potentially Resectable Lung Cancer, 2000
    • Efficacy of radiation therapy in the local control of desmoplastic malignant melanoma, 2003
    • The role of radiation in the treatment of advanced juvenile angiofibroma, 2002
    • Radiation effects on the food chain 3/18/2011, 2011
    • Iodine dangers and the rush to purchase in the event of a nuclear disaster, 2011
    • Esophageal Cancer and Reflux disease, 2005
    • General radiation and radiation poisoning in response to the nuclear disaster in Japan, 2011

• Farsi

Dr. Safa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Safa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Safa's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Radiation Oncology
  • Board certified in Radiation Oncology

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Safa

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Safa's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Safa

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Safa's Care Philosophy