Dr. Afshin Safa, MD

Radiation OncologyMaleAge 52

Dr. Safa

Leavey Cancer Center

18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge, CA 91325

Dr. Afshin Safa, MD is a Radiation Oncology Specialist in Northridge, CA. He is affiliated with medical facilities Northridge Hospital Medical Center and Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Safa to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Radiation Oncology Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Safa is affiliated with Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center Los Angeles, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Safa's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Safa's Top Procedures and Conditions

Ductal Carcinoma in Situ

Dr. Safa treats Ductal Carcinoma in Situ more than 57% of his peers

Dr. Safa treats this condition more than 57% of his peers

Gynecologic Cancer

Dr. Safa treats Gynecologic Cancer more than 55% of his peers

Dr. Safa treats this condition more than 55% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Cervical Cancer
  • Ovarian Epithelial Cancer
  • Uterine Cancer
  • Vaginal Cancer
  • Vulvar Cancer
Hide other areas of care

Dr. Safa's conditions and procedures:

• Lung Cancer
  • Lymphoma
  • Peritoneal Cancer
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery

Dr. Safa accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Safa has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(818) 885-5331Find providers who accept this insurance

Dr. Safa's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Safa

99.51923076923077%

Dr. Safa?
  • Explained conditions well (198)
  • Listened & answered questions (197)
  • Staff friendliness (197)
  • Appointment was rushed (1)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
I had completed 5 sessions of radiation with Dr. Safa and the nurse Jennifer. They were really professional and took great care for me. Explained things in detail as well. Thank you Jennifer and Dr. Safa
JC – Feb 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
My mother Dorothy wanted to share the experience she had at Northridge Hospital, which was extraordinary thanks to the kindness, helpfulness and encouragement she received by not only Doctor Safa but also his amazing staff during a very difficult time for my mother and our family. Thank you.
Kathleen Casey – Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
My radiation experience turned out to not be as scary as I thought it would thanks to Dr. Safa and his professional team. They walked me through every step of the process and it turned into a friendly routine despite the uncertainty of the Covid and the novelty of the treatment for me. They were always on time and always ready for me. Dr. Safa responded to all my doubts, worries and questions about radiation and cancer, both in person and on virtual visits. I’m grateful to have had such good care during Covid times.
Carla – Dec 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Dr. Safa and his staff at Northridge Hospital were so wonderful and kind to me during my radiation therapy. Beginning with Annette the receptionist, Jennifer and Roxanna his nurses, technicians Hasmukhben, Raymond, Tracy and Jessica. I was so nervous and afraid to even go to my first visit; but Dr. Safa sat and talked with my husband and I for about 45 minutes and put me at about as much ease as is possible going into something that was terrifying to think about. Any question I asked of a technician, they gave me a full explanation. I probably asked questions most people don't but I needed to know details. Dr. Safa referred a book to me, written by another radiation oncologist, Roy Vongtama, MD. The book is titled, "Healing Before You're Cured". What a life changer this book is and was for me. I refer this book to friends that are ill, or anyone who is interested in expanding their minds and healing. I am very thankful to have been in the care of Dr. Safa and his staff.
Paula S – Nov 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Doctor Safa and his entire team treated me with successful results while exhibiting the professionalism, expertise, and caring emotional support. I highly recommend Doctor Safa.
Gary Marcus – Nov 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
follow up appointment from radiation treatment. The doctor was friendly and informative and spoke positively of my condition and I felt comfortable. Also, was given a list of what to eat healthy, nutritionally for cancer patients.
Oct 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Dr. Safa and his staff were very good at reducing the fear and stress that came with my cancer diagnosis and radiation follow up treatments. They were always very knowledgeable and, especially, compassionate and kind. My treatments unfortunately took place at the same time as the Covid-19 pandemic and even though everyone felt the undue stress and fear of exposure to the virus, Dr. Safa and his staff gave the best of care with the highest regard to everyone's safety.
Jul 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
He's great. He's knowledgeable. He's fun to talk to. Easy to get along with. Concerned but not overly serious.
Jul 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
I received my radiation treatment post mastectomy and chemotherapy at Northridge Hospital's Leavey Cancer Center. My radiologist, Dr. Afshin Safa, was wonderful throughout my treatments. He took all the time needed to explain the procedure, listened to and answered all my questions. His expertise and knowledge were reassuring to me and I felt well taken care of and safe under the care of Dr. Safa. His nurse, Jennifer, as well as his team of technicians were outstanding as well. Knowledgeable, efficient, caring, a pleasure to be around. Everybody went above and beyond to ensure my safety and comfort while administering life saving treatments. Thank you, Dr. Safa and Team!
Doris Madden – Jun 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Dr, Safa and his staff are wonderful. I did my Radiation treatments with them and they made me feel safe especially since I had to do the treatments during the COVID-19 pandemic. Special thanks to Dr. Safa, Dr. Roy, Mrs. H, Raymond, Jennifer, Jessica, Tracey, Roxanne and Annette at the front office.
Maria – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
My experience with Dr. Safa and his staff was absolutely positive. I shared with family and friends that working with Dr.Safa and his entire staff made my journey with radiation treatment a positive experience. He was very kind, informative, and helped me understand everything that was happening. I would strongly recommend anyone in need of Radiation Oncology to see him.
Oneida Wieder – May 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Safa by my Medical Oncologist because I had an unpleasant experience with a different Oncology Radiologist at a totally different hospital system. My husband and I made the long drive to meet with Dr. Safa and have a consultation about my treatment plan. Upon my initial meeting with him, I felt confident that I would be in excellent care with him. There are so many questions that you have when going through this type treatment, that it can feel a little overwhelming. However, Dr. Safa was very thorough in explaining what was going to happen and how it was going to happen; that it made me feel calm, relaxed, and trusting. I'm very grateful that I was led to Dr. Safa and his team. They treated me with compassion, love, and respect. It was a very encouraging atmosphere and so accommodating. I fell in love with the staff and appreciate Jennifer, Hasmukh, Tracy, Raymond, Annette, and Jessica for their contribution in my care. They are all superstars!!
Lori B. – May 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Dear Indignity Top Guns, A MOST INTIMATE Casual Relationship! Every day you peek at my inners. Yes you know more about my bodily functions than anyone would ever wish to know. All whom walk or roll through your door (PRE-Security) are utterly Vulnerable to your professionalism. It is sorta of like getting on a Nazi freight train only it turns out to be exactly the opposite experience. You earn our trust daily. The care you shower on those in your care is incomparable. The patience you'll show your Patients is a TRULY great gift. The reverence you show and your respect for our privacy is consistently remarkable. See patience above. You are the most kind of your kind. AND you give hope to the hopeless. It is an exception that you so exceptional people come here daily and give so much,,, again, and Again, and AGAIN. You have made this a fond memory rather than a bad dream. Not all can convey what you mean to us, but,,, WE all share a deep gratitude for just how you do what you do. $
$teven G. – Mar 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Dr. Safa is very caring and does a thorough examination and answers every question I asked him. He is one of the best doctors I've had treating me in 80 years. His staff is so responsive and caring. You can't get any better medical care for cancer. They are the best!
Evan Binn – Mar 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Words can't describe the love and compassion you receive from Dr. Safa and his staff. (Hasmukn,Jessica,Raymond,Tracey and Jennifer the nurse. I would recommend him to anybody who needs Cancer treatments. Annette is at the front desk who always greets you with a smile.
Joan – Feb 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
I try to find a sliver lining where I can. It is hard to fine one when you are diagnosed with cancer. One of the biggest silver linings I have found was being introduced to Dr. Safa and his amazing team: notably Jennifer, Raymond, Jessica, Hasmuk (I know I totally misspelled her name) and Gloria (at the front desk). The care, the knowledge, the compassion that they deliver is everything that someone going through and ordeal like this needs. There is no way to express how much they mean to my husband and me. All we can do is write a stellar review and resting easy knowing that there is an amazing team helping us get through this.
Steve Linkchorst – Feb 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Doctor and staff went above and beyond to make my elderly dad feel like a king through his treatment. Extremely professional and thorough. Excellent "bedside manner" for an emotionally laboring time. Would recommend to anyone needing radiation treatment.
Jan 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
I want to the THANK Dr Safa and his TEAM Jennifer,Raymond,Jessica and Hashuk for their EXCELLENT service while they were taking care of my Skin Cancer at their facilities,,They are Tops.. I am back to normal without the Skin Cancer..The way they TREAT you is beyond your imagination. LOVE AND CHEERS
  • Long wait times
George Spiro Dibie ASC – Jan 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
When you require long term procedures it helps to have a staff that is more than just pleasant but actually makes it "fun" Gloria is a delight and the first person you meet. Jennifer is engaging makes you feel like you are having a conversation with a friend Jessica and Raymond ( Yes I included you :-) ) make the procedure easy explaining every step and again you feel like you are with friends. If you get a massage with Fernando that is magic. and then there is Dr. Safa who takes his time and answers every question and makes you laugh. I even got to meet Dr. Roy whose book healing before you are cured is a must read. If you need radiation they are your true team. They make you almost wish you had more treatments.. Almost but not really.
Harriet – Nov 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Dr. Safa is a very knowledgeable and kind doctor and helped make my radiation the best experience it could be. I am grateful for his treatment and help.
Ronna Binn Hersh – Nov 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Safa?

As a UCLA Professor who is active in teaching radiation oncology residents, I  teach my patients as to what  is happening to their...Read more

Dr. Safa is an Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology at UCLA School of Medicine. He is active in teaching residents and medical students in the...Read more

• Radiation Oncology

• Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/Whit, 2005-2006
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC:Woodward/White, 2007-2008
  • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2010
  • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2011
  • RSNA Research Resident Grant- $30,000 Stipend for “Investigating the role of radiation therapy in prevention of restenosis in vascular grafts, 1998
  • Listed in The American Breast Cancer Guide, 2005
  • Winner of “Top Healthcare Professional in the Valley”. San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 2006
  • First Place Scientific Exhibit Award for Oncology - Los Angeles Radiological Society, 1999
  • Listed in America’s Top Doctors, 2005-2006
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2003-2004
  • Los Angeles Radiological Society Award for Contribution to the Growth & Development of the society, 2006
  • AMA Physician Recognition Award, 1999
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2009-2010
  • Outstanding Achievement Awards in Physics & Math, 1988

• >Positron Emission Tomography: An Independent Indicator of Radiocurability in Head and Neck Carcinomas, 2000
  • >Efficacy of radiation therapy in the local control of desmoplastic malignant melanoma, 2003
  • >Accuracy and Clinical Impact of Mediastinal Lymph Node Staging with FDG-PET Imaging in Potentially Resectable Lung Cancer, 2000
  • >The role of radiation in the treatment of advanced juvenile angiofibroma, 2002
  • >Iodine dangers and the rush to purchase in the event of a nuclear disaster, 2011
  • >Radiation effects on the food chain 3/18/2011, 2011
  • >General radiation and radiation poisoning in response to the nuclear disaster in Japan, 2011
  • >Esophageal Cancer and Reflux disease, 2005