Dr. Afshin A. Safa, MD

Dr. Afshin A. Safa, MD

75 reviews

Radiation Oncology | Male | 48 years old

Dr. Safa has practiced at Northridge Hospital Medical Center for over 16 years where he serves as the Chair of the Cancer Committee and the Medical Director of the Harold and Carole Pump Radiation Oncology Department. Dr. Safa has expertise in IMRT, IGRT, SBRT, Gamma Knife Stereotactic Radiosurgery, and Brachytherapy. He is recognized in Super Doctors and Best Doctors in America for over 13 years. Professional Societies: Chair, Code Utilization Committee-American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Past President-Los Angeles Radiological Society (LARS) Read more

Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Cancer Center

Provide state of the art medical care for our patients in a friendly, compassionate and professional setting.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Safa's Experience

See how Dr. Safa's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Safa

Dr. Safa accepts 11 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Safa has admitting privileges.

Dr. Safa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Safa to family and friends
Dr. Safa's Performance
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safais is an attentive, very kind person. He listens to you and explains the answers he gives to your questions. Dr. Safa is a friendly person who is very concerned that you understand your situation in laymen terms, and that you fully know and understand your options. He spends enough time with you so that you can leave his office knowing as much as possible. I feel very confident in his care and with his advice. I strongly recommend Dr. Safa, and feel good that he is my doctor.
91306 |
every one in his office super nice and help full always answered my questions.
in Porter Ranch, CA |
I would like to personally thank Dr. Afshin A. Safa for his professionalism, compassion and hard work. Dr. Safa went above and beyond in making me comfortable about radiation treatment I received. He followed up his work with numerous phone calls explaining all the side effects and calming me and my family at the time when we needed it the most. I also would like to thank Jennifer, Raymond, Tracey, Gloria and others whose name I can not spell in assisting me and making the whole procedure easy
in Winnetka, CA |
Dr. Safa and the staff are so wonderful. We initially found Dr. Safa through our Primary Care Doctor. We were first greeted by Gloria at the front desk who is so lovely, warm and welcoming. Prior to meeting Dr. Safa we then met with Jennifer who made us feel relaxed and made the time go by so quickly. After going through all the medical history we were finally able to meet with Dr. Safa. Our experience with the doctor and staff was so comforting. They truly made us feel like family.
in Reseda, CA |
DR. Dr,Safa was a wonderful doctor in explaining my radiation oncology treatment. He deserves a five star rating and all of his staff deserves a five star plus rating. Dr. Safa and his staff are well trained and are so considerate, and answers any question. Thanks Dr. Safa and all your staff for taking such concern with us. wife and sons. I don't have list of staff, ALL deserve 5 STAR Plus. Thanks very much see you in September. THANKS AGAIN.
in Chatsworth, CA |
Hello there, our experience with Dr. Safa and the staff was exemplary. The Doctor and the staff that worked with me, Jennifer, Jessica, Raymond and Gloria were all so kind, caring and professional making my treatments something that I actually looked forward to. Thank you all again for taking such good care of me, Betty May Ward
in Winnetka, CA |
Dr. Safa and his entire team consistently exhibit a superior level of care, compassion, and concern for their patients and their patients' family members. Although Dr. Safa's primary concern is treating his patient's cancer, Dr. Safa is extremely mindful of treating his patients' mental and emotional well being to ensure the most optimum outcome. I would strongly and sincerely recommend Dr. Safa to anyone in need of of a radiation oncologist.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr,Afshin A.Safa is very good doctor to take care my medical problems since I been with him . I'M so happy and Thank you
in Northridge, CA |
I had the most wonderful experience with Dr. Safa and his staff. They are very friendly, and they know what they are doing. Dr. Safa is excellent. His knowledge and his personal manner made me feel so confident, comfortable and relaxed. I was never stressed or worried. He always explained things and made me feel informed. I trusted him. His staff was personable and warm, every single time. Gloria, jennifer, and each of the radiologists, Tracy, Kelly, Raymond. All were fantastic! NICE staff!
in Reseda, CA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Safa at Leavey Cancer Center. He is a compassionate, caring and highly trained professional. He has been my physician for more than a year and I would not hesitate to recommend him to family/friends. He has a very calming demeanor and I always felt I was receiving the best of care. His nurse Jennifer is also outstanding and so well suited to this type of work. She is infintely kind, compassionate and caring. Superior care!
in Winnetka, CA |
everything was excellent. Loved my doctor, loved the nurse- very very good. loved the therapists. I was treated like a king here. I appreciate all they did for me for 9 weeks of radiation. They were better than any place else I was before. I recommend them more than anywhere else in the whole world. They gave their time for me and I really appreciate them. they helped me everytime I needed help.
in Chatsworth Ca |
Dr Safa and his staff has been with me now 5 years since my cancer diagnosis and they are the most professional and caring people that i have encountered any hospital or doctors office. Especially in radiology department i want to mention some names like Hashmuck, ,Jennifer and Raymond that are outstanding individuals who care for they patients beyond normal care.I want to thank the hospital for having such a wonderful people working here where we the patients need it the most.
in Chatsworth, CA |
Dr. Safa is a caring, personable, knowledgeable doctor who took great care of me. His staff Hasmuk, Jessica Raymond, Jennifer and Traci, with their compassion, kindness, tender hearts and thoughtful advice made a scary time in my life easier to face and deal with. They do treat you like family, they care how your feeling and they want you to feel better. Their kindness and compassionate hearts definitely made the weeks I spent in radiation easier, thank you. I'll never forget any of you.
in Reseda, CA |
Dr Safa and staff have been very professional and courteous throughout my treatment. Jennifer, Hasmukh, Raymond and Traci have been great throughout the entire process. Gloria from the front office has also been very helpful and always kind.
in northridge, ca |
I forgot to add receptionist, Gloria, to my list of Dr. Safa's staff which is extremely friendly, warm, & efficient.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa is a warm, kind and gentle soul who truly cares about his patients. He is never rushed or insensitive to our needs, explains diagnoses and treatment clearly and with compassion, then listens and answers questions the same way. My team—from Gloria on the front desk, to Jennifer, my nurse, Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica and Tracey, my radiation therapists, and Kendra, my masseuse—welcomed me like family and made the process as comfortable and effortless as possible. I cannot thank them enough.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr Safa has wonderful bedside manners. His compassion, wisdom (practical/clinical) & attentiveness is obvious from the very first appointment. He took time to make sure I understood my treatment options, which he derived through clinical expertise (including reaching out to other specialists), research/guidelines & personal/patient factors. Most remarkable is his guidance in addressing an individualized life care plan for the whole person vs just the radiation treatment itself.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Safa is very thorough in explaining to me before and after the treatment. Before the treatment, I learn about treatment status and all necessary information about Prostate cancer. Dr. Safa helps me resolve my side effects problem during the treatment. I get prescription to ease my pain. Dr. Safa has a well train team to look after my treatment, too. Thanks for his dedication.
in Northridge, CA |
The minute I talked to Dr. Safa, I knew I was lucky to find a great doctor with experience, understanding and kindness. He answered all my questons, and made me feel comfortable and confident about my treatment plan. His team Hasmukh, Raymond, Traci, Jessica, Gloria and Jennifer were also all supportive, available when needed, and helped me feel positive about my treatment plan everyday. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his team!
in Canoga Park, CA |
Dr. Safa is very professional and caring. He's meticulous in giving detailed instructions during and after my radiation therapy. The treatment provided by Dr. Safa and his staff was exceptional and very efficient. I'm now recovering and very grateful having been treated by Dr. Safa. Thank you Dr. Safa. I would also like to extent my thank to Hasmuk, Raymond, Jessica, Gloria, Tracy, and Jennifer, for providing the utmost care before, during and after my radiation therapy. My profound gratitude!
in Los Angeles |
Part 2: There was not enough space in my last review to also thank Raymond, Tracy, and Christine. They are an important part of the team. You will be well taken care of by anybody you work with.
in Reseda, California |
I highly recommend Dr. Safa 100% - My radiation therapy is now completed and I will truly miss Dr. Safa and his wonderful staff. Dr. Safa and his staff, Nurse Jennifer, Gloria, coordinator/receptionist, and Hasmukh, and my technicians Raymond and Jessica were so professional and caring and they are a credit to the Leavey Cancer Center, which is a wonderful hospital. I truly appreciate the care Dr. Safa and staff have shown me. It was such a pleasant experience and I never had one complaint!
in Sylmar, CA |
The first time I went to the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Cancer Center I was a little concerned about having radiation therapy. Dr. Afshin Safa explained during the consultation my prognosis and my options and he made it very easy for me to understand the information. Thank You Dr. Safa and your staff for being so reassuring and letting me know I was going to be okay. Thank you for your instructions and for caring for all your patients. I recommend Dr. Safa and his staff with all my heart. Luisa S
in Woodland Hills, CA |
I am truly grateful, well, really fortunate, to have been under the care of Dr. Safa and his superhero-like staff: Jennifer, Hasmukh, Jessica, Raymond, Tracy and Gloria. From day one, I was treated with the utmost of care, compassion, thoughtfulness, and exactitude. Dr. Safa is a super-pro; a great communicator, easy to understand and his attention to detail and exactness is invaluable. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his exemplary staff - made my 6 weeks of radiation feel like 2 weeks.
in Van Nuys, CA |
I am truly grateful for the kind and caring staff of the radiation oncology department. They made radiation therapy as pleasant as possible. Thank you Dr. Safa, Jennifer, Gloria, Hasmukh, Raymond and Jessica and all those whose names I have forgotten.
in Santa Clarita, CA 91350 |
I trust Dr Safa completely. He is caring about his patients. He is patient, knowledgeable and honest when explaining my condition and expectations. I would recommend his services to my family and friends. My husband and I just love him. His staffs Jennifer, Gloria, Raymond and Hsook are just amazing as well.
in Chatsworth, CA |
I was the patient of Dr. Safa year 2002 for breast cancer and after 14 yrs. I became again his patient this yr. 2016 for lymphoma. I was surprised to see him again. He's so accommodating, friendly and everything well explained. I felt comfortable with him. I appreciate also Gloria at the reception (who for 14 yrs.) still there. She's very accommodation and helpful and always smiling to patients. I'm also thankful for the wonderful staff like Jennifer, Raymond and Jessica.
in Reseda , CA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Safa for the past 12 years and I have beaten my metastatic lung cancer to the brain and have no disease at 12 years. now I have another lung cancer which I was successfully treated with Stereotactic radiation for 5 sessions. Doing very well. I wanted to thank all the therapists and nurses and receptionists. they are a super team and I love them all.
in Northridge, CA. |
wonderful people. everything was made easy to understand. I was vary confident that it was the best possible treatment. Raymond and Jessica are the best. Cant say enough good things aout this team.
in Lancaster, CA |
Dr. Safa and his crew to include Hasmukh, Raymond, Jennifer and Gloria, were very helpful and knowledgeable. These are good people who did an excellent job. I was very happy with the entire experience. This was a low stress series of treatments and was always good to know that I was in good hands.
in Van Nuys, CA |
Cancer is supposed to be a negative and scary situation, but I enjoyed coming here because the people are so warm and welcoming. This is the first time I've had this positive experience in a doctor's office. Gloria and Jennifer are gems, always a warm welcoming smile. Raymond was the ultimate professional-friendly & warm. Dr. Safa is an amazing doctor. He took time to explain things to me, and I trusted him completely. I am sorry my treatments are over-I will miss each one!
in LA, CA |
Dr. Safa and Staff were great! My whole experience at the clinic was pleasant and stress free. I'm grateful for all the nurses; Jennifer, Hasmik, Gloria and all others. They treated me like family. Thank you all for your help and for making me feel good again.
in northridge , CA |
Dr. Safa is the most kind ,understanding ,doctor i have ever met .His staff -Jennifer,Hasmuk,Jessica and Raymond,are always ready to help you in any way you need them. Always patient and smiles that never end. Dr.Safa is always there if you have any questions or need him to explain anything,he is there for you. I cant say enough good things about him. thanks to all them Merry Brighty Knight
in Northridge, CA |
My husband had a follow-up appointment for his prostate cancer. After following up on my husband's radiation treatments, I had some questions regarding some of my health issues. Dr Safa graciously & willingly answered my questions. He really wasn't obligated in doing so, since this appointment was for my husband. That's a testament of a compassionate & caring doctor. Nurse, Jennifer always caring & upbeat with a good sense of humor. Our thanks to: Raymond, Hasmuk , Gloria &Yesinia.
Sacramento, CA |
Dr. Safa is just as excellent , he is clear an simple to understand.
in Porter Ranch, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff, Jennifer, Raymond Hamun, and Gloria are just wonde4rful. Actually after I completed my Radiation, I truly missed them. The treated me with love and affection to the point that I felt they were my dearest to my heart. I can only say they are the best! Nora
in Encino, CA |
My mom just completed 18 rounds of radiation. Dr. Safa and his staff are wonderful. Dr. Safa, Jennifer, Ray, and the staff have made my mom feel comfortable, safe, and important during this stressful time. They all listen to our needs and concerns. The massage therapists are wonderful as well.
Northridge, CA |
Dr Safa and his staff (Jennifer, Hasmik, Raymond, and Jessica) are extremely caring. Hospitals can be a scary and uncomfortable place, but everyone here goes above and beyond to make sure that you feel like a person who is cared for.
in Sylmar, CA |
Dr Safa is a wonderful doctor. He makes me feel calm and relaxed and gives me hope. He makes me feel like I can beat my illness. I would recommend him highly.
in Northridge, CA |
I have had wonderful care and therapy from Dr. Safa and his staff. I was treated with the utmost kindness and respect by Dr. Safa, Jessica, Raymond, Jennifer, and Gloria along with other staff members. They all made this experience less scary. Their explanations of what my treatment would entail and the time they spent with me was invaluable. Each one of them gave me their expertise in this field and their human skills were beyond excellent!
Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff are incredible and everytime I was here everything was perfect. I did not feel like a patient , I felt like a family From the beginning they have been there for me. This includes being met by Gloria front desk, who made me feel welcome and safe. Hasmukh, Raymond Jessica were professional and caring and helped me through some very difficult times. Dr. Safa and jennifer always concerned and had time for me and did not feel like a number. I felt like seeing my family
in Porter Ranch, Ca |
He is not only extremely knowledgeable but he relates to the patients on a personal level. He takes the time needed to insure you feel comfortable and understand the treatment plan.
in Northridge, CA |
Kind, considerate, patient and understanding. Knowledgeable,and explains everything in layman terms
in Stevenson Ranch, CA |
I felt very safe and well taken cared of not just by Dr. Safa but with everyone starting with Gloria, Jennifer, RN Hasmack and Raymond. I never felt sick and they never treated me like I am sick. I am always greeted with genuine smile. Thank you for taking care of me.
in Sherman Oaks, CA |
Dr. Safa and all the Leavey Cancer Center staff are professional, kind, and supportive. If every workplace exercised their same common sense and expert processes for success, we would have an awesome planet! The attitude in this center probably accounts for more than half of my healing, which sped my recovery time. I have bragged about the center to my friends; it is an oasis in the medical field. Congrats re: your award as a top cancer center in the U.S. So lucky to have come here!
in Porter Ranch, CA |
Dr. Safa has been treating me for over 15 years. He has done an excellent job on treating my prostate cancer. I would recommend him to my family and friends. during my appointments, he takes the time to explain everything to me.
in West Hills, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff are remarkable. From the beginning they have been there for me and my family. This includes being met by Gloria at the front desk, who made me feel welcome and safe. And, the radiation staff was incredible. Hasmukh, Raymond and Jessica were professional and caring and helped me through some very difficult times. Dr. Safa was always concerned about my well being on both a professional and personal level. I want to thank the entire staff for all of their help.
in Sherwod Fprest. CA 91325 |
It was 4 years ago I met with Dr Safa as being referred from USC Norris Cancer center. My PSA number is going up - again . It has been <0.03 for the 2 years I was under the Lubron Therapy.. Was I scared - YES, but not for long. In the conversation with Dr Safa I had that inner feeling that he will permanently kill the cancer and get the job done.The treatment was started soon after and Dr Safa's staff was just so caring and professional through all the 38 visits Very Thankful the job got done
in Sylmar, CA |
Dr. Safa shows true compassion and care while still very professional. He seems to understand what his patient is going through and takes the time to explain, in layman's terms, the procedures and treatments. This difficult time in my life was made easier to deal with, knowing that I had a strong support group with Dr. Safa and his staff. His staff is always very attentive, helpful and compassionate.
Dr. Safa and his staff are exceptional. From the very first appointment the staff was welcoming and genuinely care about you. They explain treatments thoroughly and make things as comfortable as possible during treatment. Even after treatment is complete they are still interested in how you are doing. I am extremely pleased with the level of service provided by Dr. Safa and his wonderful staff. I would recommend this office without hesitation.
Have you seen Dr. Afshin A. Safa, MD?
Are you Dr. Safa?

Dr. Safa says...

Dr. Safa has practiced at Northridge Hospital Medical Center for over 16 years where he serves as the Chair of the Cancer Committee and the Medical Director of the Harold and Carole Pump Radiation Oncology Department. Dr. Safa has expertise in IMRT, IGRT, SBRT, Gamma Knife Stereotactic Radiosurgery, and Brachytherapy. He is recognized in Super Doctors and Best Doctors in America for over 13 years.

Professional Societies:

• Chair, Code Utilization Committee-American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
  • Past President-Los Angeles Radiological Society (LARS)

Dr. Safa's Care Philosophy

Dr. Safa says...

• Expertise in Malignancies including : Bladder Cancer, Brain Tumor, Breast Cancer; Gastrointestinal Malignancies; Gynecologic Oncology; Head and Neck Cancers; Lung Cancer; Lymphoma; Melanoma; Multiple Myeloma; Pancreatic Cancer; Prostate Cancer and Rectal Cancer

Dr. Safa's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Radiation Oncology
  •  Board certified in Radiation Oncology

• Listed in America’s Top Doctors, 2005-2006
    • Outstanding Achievement Awards in Physics & Math, 1988
    • Listed in The American Breast Cancer Guide, 2005
    • AMA Physician Recognition Award, 1999
    • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2010
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/Whit, 2005-2006
    • Los Angeles Radiological Society Award for Contribution to the Growth & Development of the society, 2006
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2003-2004
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC:Woodward/White, 2007-2008
    • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2009-2010
    • RSNA Research Resident Grant- $30,000 Stipend for “Investigating the role of radiation therapy in prevention of restenosis in vascular grafts, 1998
    • First Place Scientific Exhibit Award for Oncology - Los Angeles Radiological Society, 1999
    • Winner of “Top Healthcare Professional in the Valley”. San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 2006
    • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2011
    • Positron Emission Tomography: An Independent Indicator of Radiocurability in Head and Neck Carcinomas, 2000
    • Accuracy and Clinical Impact of Mediastinal Lymph Node Staging with FDG-PET Imaging in Potentially Resectable Lung Cancer, 2000
    • Efficacy of radiation therapy in the local control of desmoplastic malignant melanoma, 2003
    • The role of radiation in the treatment of advanced juvenile angiofibroma, 2002
    • Radiation effects on the food chain 3/18/2011, 2011
    • Iodine dangers and the rush to purchase in the event of a nuclear disaster, 2011
    • Esophageal Cancer and Reflux disease, 2005
    • General radiation and radiation poisoning in response to the nuclear disaster in Japan, 2011

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Safa's Board Certifications

University Of California, San Diego, School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1995

University of California At San Diego

Completed in 1996

University of California, Los Angeles. (UCLA)

Completed in 2000

University of California, Los Angeles

Graduated in 1991

• Farsi

Dr. Safa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Safa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Radiation Oncology
  • Oncology

• Brachytherapy
  • Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
  • Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
  • Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
  • Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery