Dr. Afshin Safa, MD

Dr. Afshin Safa, MD

Radiation Oncology  |

Dr. Safa is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Radiation Oncology at UCLA School of Medicine. He is active in teaching residents and medical students in the art of bedside manners and how to help patients manage their emotional challenges while fighting cancer. Dr. Safa has practiced at Northridge Hospital Medical Center for over 17 years where he serves as the Chair of the Cancer Committee and the Medical Director of Radiation Oncology at Leavey Cancer Center. Dr. Safa has expertise in IMRT, IGRT, Stereotactic Radiation Therapy, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, and Brachytherapy. He is recognized in Best Doctors in America for over 13 years. He was awarded Humankindness Award by Dignity Health Hospitals for his exemplary compassionate care.

Leavey Cancer Center

• Health Net of California
  • HealthCare Partners
  • WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Safa

I teach my patients as to what  is happening to their body and what to expect both emotionally and physically when diagnosed with cancer. Positive encouragement and proper nutrition are critical in this fight.

I provide state of the art cancer care for my patients in a friendly, compassionate setting. I treat based on proven science  and  not hype. I will do my best to deliver the highest quality evidence based radiation oncology.  My patients and I make decisions together based on their needs/expectations and my professional expertise.

One my patient's wrote: "Going through such a difficult time, I never expected to be happy to see the smiling faces that greeted me every day let alone miss them when my treatment was over."

Dr. Safa's Experience

Dr. Safa's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Radiation Oncology

• Cranial Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • External Beam Radiotherapy
  • Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
  • High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
  • Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
  • Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
  • Prostate Brachytherapy
  • Radiation Oncology Procedures
  • Radiation Therapy
  • Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Spinal or Cranial
  • Stereotactic Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• University of California, Los Angeles
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1991
  • University Of California, San Diego, School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1995
  • University of California At San Diego
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
  • University of California, Los Angeles. (UCLA)
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2000
  • University of California, Los Angeles. (UCLA)
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2000

• Listed in The American Breast Cancer Guide, 2005
  • AMA Physician Recognition Award, 1999
  • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2010
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/Whit, 2005-2006
  • Los Angeles Radiological Society Award for Contribution to the Growth & Development of the society, 2006
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2003-2004
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC:Woodward/White, 2007-2008
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2009-2010
  • RSNA Research Resident Grant- $30,000 Stipend for “Investigating the role of radiation therapy in prevention of restenosis in vascular grafts, 1998
  • First Place Scientific Exhibit Award for Oncology - Los Angeles Radiological Society, 1999
  • Winner of “Top Healthcare Professional in the Valley”. San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 2006
  • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2011
  • Positron Emission Tomography: An Independent Indicator of Radiocurability in Head and Neck Carcinomas, 2000
  • Accuracy and Clinical Impact of Mediastinal Lymph Node Staging with FDG-PET Imaging in Potentially Resectable Lung Cancer, 2000
  • Efficacy of radiation therapy in the local control of desmoplastic malignant melanoma, 2003
  • The role of radiation in the treatment of advanced juvenile angiofibroma, 2002
  • Radiation effects on the food chain 3/18/2011, 2011
  • Iodine dangers and the rush to purchase in the event of a nuclear disaster, 2011
  • Esophageal Cancer and Reflux disease, 2005
  • General radiation and radiation poisoning in response to the nuclear disaster in Japan, 2011

• Farsi

Dr. Safa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Safa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Safa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Safa to family and friends
Dr. Safa's Performance
in West hills , CA |
I could not be more pleased or comfortable or taken care of as I was here. They did everything they could to make it comfortable. Nurse Jennifer was great , Hasmukh, Raymond , Jessica, were awesome . Gloria is very nice . I was absolutely happy with everyone. I would love to see them again for just checking in. hopefully I don't need anymore treatment.,
in Sacramento, CA |
Dr. Safa is a complete JOY, he listens, actually listens. His communication skills are great when dealing with difficult topics. The radiation staff, Jennifer, Hasmook, Ray, Jessica, always took care of me and showed they actually cared about me. They're professionalism, extensive knowledge, compassion, empathy, humor and smiles made my radiation treatment easier.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr Safa and staff were so kind to take time and give me full explanation of where I am. I have had two appointments and Jennifer had patience and understanding to listen to me at both. She showed kindness and caring while still being very professional It was unbelievable. Dr Safa explained my options so carefully in taking time to write things down for me. Between appointments I carried his paper and read it often. He updated it today with several comments. Thank you :-)..
Van Nuys |
excellent care ; made my pain go away
in Los Angeles |
I have completed my radiology and I have nothing but praise for Dr. Safa and his excellent support team; Jennifer, Gloria, Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh. I especially want to acknowledge Hasmukh and her wise care of my skin as it got annoyed with the radiation. She assisted me in easing any discomfort and created a "Christian Dior" bra that allowed me to have great comfort. Every person in this group makes you feel safe and supported. I can recommend them without hesitation.
Northridge, CA |
The amount of care and effort by the doctor Safa and his crew of nurses, Jackie, Hasmek, and all caretakers is undeniable. the staff is utterly friendly and caring. The receptionist, Gloria is extreamely helpful and acomodating. All in all we always feel comfortable and well taken care of every time we are here. I highly recommend Dr. Safa.
in Arleta, CA |
Dr. Safa was recommended by our Drs from UCLA. His staff of Jennifer, Gloria, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh made our visits for treatment easy and quick. Thank you Dr. Safa & Staff for our positive outcome. Linne & Douglas Lee
Northridge, CA |
Dr Safa is understanding & explains everything to you in ways anyone can understand. I have already told people how wonderful the staff is at the Leavey Cancer Center.
in Northridge, CA |
A doctor can only operate as well as the staff which supports him. I am very comfortable with Dr. Safa. He is approachable, and I feel it is easy to trust his knowledge. A doctor is only as great as the staff which supports him and the staff is fantastic. Jennifer is open, easy to talk to, and thorough in her examination, and finds answers to all of my questions. Hasmut handles most of my radiation, she helps me so much to stay calm. All of the people at this practice are wonderful. I felt cared
Elk Grove, CA |
Jennifer, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, and Tracy
in Pacoima, CA |
Jennifer, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, Tracy and Hoda What a Great Team! :) Thank you all for helping me feel as comfortable a possible during this crazy, scary time in life.
in Phoenix, AZ |
The staff was very informative on all the procedures Timing of procedure was available when requested Extremely friendly and courteous Felt really relieved after each session Would recommend this facility to everyone
sylmar,ca |
I would recommend Dr Safa and staff in a heartbeat. They treat you like you are family. They take time to listen to all your concerns, they are very knowledgeable and help make it easier to understand the illness and treatment. Everyone along the way is caring, patient and extremely nice. Gloria at front desk always welcomes you with a warm smile and greeting. Jennifer is amazing in making sure all your concerns are addressed by Dr Safa. Radiation team Hasmuk, Ray,Tracy Jessica are all Fantastic
in Los Angeles, CA |
So wonderful to be able to enter such an excellent facility and have folks like Jennifer, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, and Tracy take care of me! They are all so kind and friendly. Dr Safa is very clear and makes sure you understand every detail of your treatment.
in pORTER RANCH, CA |
I feel that I recieved excellent and caring assisitance during the cancer treatment.
in Encino, California |
Dr. Safa and his entire staff were very helpful, explained every thoroughly and answered all my questions before, during and after my radiation treatments. Jennifer, Hasmukh, Raymond, Tracie, Araz and Jessica were very gentle and kind everyday during my treatments. Always helped me to get in the proper position and when I was finished. Dr. Safa went over Follow-Up Notes and filled me in on the fact the Anastrozole medication can have a tendency to put on weight which has already happened.
Canoga Park , CA |
Dr. Safa is a scientist that knows his stuff and cares about patients. He is very detail oriented and goes through all symptoms, and there is nothing that he doesn't see or pay attention. He selects the best prosedure and the one that the patient needs. Here is about life and death and every one of his staff are serious, well prepared, and kind at the same time. I knew that I was in good hands when I was with them. Jennifer, Roxan, Jesica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, Tracy, all were the best.
I saw Dr. Safa & his staff from March-April 2017 for radiation. Jennifer, the RN, was so friendly, it was a joy to see her. Raymond, Roxanne, Arza, Jessica, & Hasmukh were all very professional, and answered any questions I had during treatment. I was able to play my own music during treatment, and that helped my spirits a lot. Gloria, at the reception, was great as well, as was able to accommodate my schedule whenever I needed a change. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his excellent staff!
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa is kind, compassionate, honest and my husband and I always felt extremely comfortable and confident in his care. Additionally, his staff which includes Gloria, the receptionist, to the radiology staff and 100% professional, comforting, and very special. After our initial visit and thereafter, we looked forward to our daily visits to "the team". I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Safa as well as the technicians. They are angels!!!
in Sylmar, CA |
Dr. Safa always show great concern and care with my medical condition, the staff starting with Gloria and all the medical staff are just as caring, making me feel a very special patient. Thank you for everything. Luisa
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff made me feel so comfortable during this, the most stressful time of my life. His staff of Jennifer, Roxanne, Raymond, Arza, Jessica, Hasmukh, and Gloria, made it a pleasure to come here for each of the twenty eight days. They were friendly, upbeat, and compassionate. I was always taken on time, and made comfortable in the radiation room, with my favorite music playing, and getting "tucked in" with warm sheets. A few times I was so relaxed that I fell asleep!
Reseda, CA |
Dr. Safa and his team, including Jennifer, Hasmukh, Raymond, Tracey, Jessica, and Araz were very supportive and helpful during my treatment. I truly appreciate their expertise and care in their interactions. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his team to anyone who needs a supportive and caring team of professionals as part of their recovery team.
in Simi Valley, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff preformed perfectly. They explained each step of the way, were considerate, and accommodating. The outcome of my facial procedure was better then I expected.
in G.H. California |
The DR. Safa has been an amazing doctor. He is extremely knowledgable and always very proactive in in care and and treatment. He has the most worderful group of people working with him, everyone from Jennifer, Gloria, Hasmukh, Tracey, Arza , and Raymond. They made my daily visits so much easier during this difficult time. I'm so grateful to everyone here. They all work so hard and are always there whenever you need them . I feel like I've made a new group of friends in the process. Thank you!
in Chatsworth, CA |
Dr. Safa is one of the finest doctors I have seen. He is thorough, caring, and offers individual explanations to his patients. I feel vey comfortable every time I see him, and I look forward to my visits. His radiology treatments are well planned and easy. He spends as much time with his patients as the patient needs.
in Porter Ranch, CA |
I'm so lucky to be a patient of Dr. Safa and his entire support staff. They worked together as a fabulous team to listen, comfort and direct my physical and emotional needs throughout my 21 radiation treatments. I highly recommend anyone diagnosed with cancer to have a consultation. It's important to count your blessings, because they are one of them.
in Los Angeles, CA |
The doctor has a very warm friendly demeanor and explains all info in very clear understandable terms.
in Arleta, CA |
They made me look good. Happy with everything done to make my skin cancer on the nose go away. Excellent job by the technicians and staff, Raymond and Jessica. Excellent job by Gloria and Jennifer . very nice and courteous people who were kind to me. Love them all.
winnetka, CA |
We are very pleased with the radiation treatment my father received by Dr. Safa and his extraordinary Team (Gloria, Jennifer, Jessica and Raymond). Very tentative and compassionate, they make you feel you are in good hands!
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safais is an attentive, very kind person. He listens to you and explains the answers he gives to your questions. Dr. Safa is a friendly person who is very concerned that you understand your situation in laymen terms, and that you fully know and understand your options. He spends enough time with you so that you can leave his office knowing as much as possible. I feel very confident in his care and with his advice. I strongly recommend Dr. Safa, and feel good that he is my doctor.
91306 |
every one in his office super nice and help full always answered my questions.
in Porter Ranch, CA |
I would like to personally thank Dr. Afshin A. Safa for his professionalism, compassion and hard work. Dr. Safa went above and beyond in making me comfortable about radiation treatment I received. He followed up his work with numerous phone calls explaining all the side effects and calming me and my family at the time when we needed it the most. I also would like to thank Jennifer, Raymond, Tracey, Gloria and others whose name I can not spell in assisting me and making the whole procedure easy
in Winnetka, CA |
Dr. Safa and the staff are so wonderful. We initially found Dr. Safa through our Primary Care Doctor. We were first greeted by Gloria at the front desk who is so lovely, warm and welcoming. Prior to meeting Dr. Safa we then met with Jennifer who made us feel relaxed and made the time go by so quickly. After going through all the medical history we were finally able to meet with Dr. Safa. Our experience with the doctor and staff was so comforting. They truly made us feel like family.
in Reseda, CA |
DR. Dr,Safa was a wonderful doctor in explaining my radiation oncology treatment. He deserves a five star rating and all of his staff deserves a five star plus rating. Dr. Safa and his staff are well trained and are so considerate, and answers any question. Thanks Dr. Safa and all your staff for taking such concern with us. wife and sons. I don't have list of staff, ALL deserve 5 STAR Plus. Thanks very much see you in September. THANKS AGAIN.
in Chatsworth, CA |
Hello there, our experience with Dr. Safa and the staff was exemplary. The Doctor and the staff that worked with me, Jennifer, Jessica, Raymond and Gloria were all so kind, caring and professional making my treatments something that I actually looked forward to. Thank you all again for taking such good care of me, Betty May Ward
in Winnetka, CA |
Dr. Safa and his entire team consistently exhibit a superior level of care, compassion, and concern for their patients and their patients' family members. Although Dr. Safa's primary concern is treating his patient's cancer, Dr. Safa is extremely mindful of treating his patients' mental and emotional well being to ensure the most optimum outcome. I would strongly and sincerely recommend Dr. Safa to anyone in need of of a radiation oncologist.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr,Afshin A.Safa is very good doctor to take care my medical problems since I been with him . I'M so happy and Thank you
in Northridge, CA |
I had the most wonderful experience with Dr. Safa and his staff. They are very friendly, and they know what they are doing. Dr. Safa is excellent. His knowledge and his personal manner made me feel so confident, comfortable and relaxed. I was never stressed or worried. He always explained things and made me feel informed. I trusted him. His staff was personable and warm, every single time. Gloria, jennifer, and each of the radiologists, Tracy, Kelly, Raymond. All were fantastic! NICE staff!
in Reseda, CA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Safa at Leavey Cancer Center. He is a compassionate, caring and highly trained professional. He has been my physician for more than a year and I would not hesitate to recommend him to family/friends. He has a very calming demeanor and I always felt I was receiving the best of care. His nurse Jennifer is also outstanding and so well suited to this type of work. She is infintely kind, compassionate and caring. Superior care!
in Winnetka, CA |
everything was excellent. Loved my doctor, loved the nurse- very very good. loved the therapists. I was treated like a king here. I appreciate all they did for me for 9 weeks of radiation. They were better than any place else I was before. I recommend them more than anywhere else in the whole world. They gave their time for me and I really appreciate them. they helped me everytime I needed help.
in Chatsworth Ca |
Dr Safa and his staff has been with me now 5 years since my cancer diagnosis and they are the most professional and caring people that i have encountered any hospital or doctors office. Especially in radiology department i want to mention some names like Hashmuck, ,Jennifer and Raymond that are outstanding individuals who care for they patients beyond normal care.I want to thank the hospital for having such a wonderful people working here where we the patients need it the most.
in Reseda, CA |
Dr Safa and staff have been very professional and courteous throughout my treatment. Jennifer, Hasmukh, Raymond and Traci have been great throughout the entire process. Gloria from the front office has also been very helpful and always kind.
in northridge, ca |
I forgot to add receptionist, Gloria, to my list of Dr. Safa's staff which is extremely friendly, warm, & efficient.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa is a warm, kind and gentle soul who truly cares about his patients. He is never rushed or insensitive to our needs, explains diagnoses and treatment clearly and with compassion, then listens and answers questions the same way. My team—from Gloria on the front desk, to Jennifer, my nurse, Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica and Tracey, my radiation therapists, and Kendra, my masseuse—welcomed me like family and made the process as comfortable and effortless as possible. I cannot thank them enough.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr Safa has wonderful bedside manners. His compassion, wisdom (practical/clinical) & attentiveness is obvious from the very first appointment. He took time to make sure I understood my treatment options, which he derived through clinical expertise (including reaching out to other specialists), research/guidelines & personal/patient factors. Most remarkable is his guidance in addressing an individualized life care plan for the whole person vs just the radiation treatment itself.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Safa is very thorough in explaining to me before and after the treatment. Before the treatment, I learn about treatment status and all necessary information about Prostate cancer. Dr. Safa helps me resolve my side effects problem during the treatment. I get prescription to ease my pain. Dr. Safa has a well train team to look after my treatment, too. Thanks for his dedication.
in Northridge, CA |
The minute I talked to Dr. Safa, I knew I was lucky to find a great doctor with experience, understanding and kindness. He answered all my questons, and made me feel comfortable and confident about my treatment plan. His team Hasmukh, Raymond, Traci, Jessica, Gloria and Jennifer were also all supportive, available when needed, and helped me feel positive about my treatment plan everyday. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his team!
in Canoga Park, CA |
Dr. Safa is very professional and caring. He's meticulous in giving detailed instructions during and after my radiation therapy. The treatment provided by Dr. Safa and his staff was exceptional and very efficient. I'm now recovering and very grateful having been treated by Dr. Safa. Thank you Dr. Safa. I would also like to extent my thank to Hasmuk, Raymond, Jessica, Gloria, Tracy, and Jennifer, for providing the utmost care before, during and after my radiation therapy. My profound gratitude!
in Los Angeles |
Part 2: There was not enough space in my last review to also thank Raymond, Tracy, and Christine. They are an important part of the team. You will be well taken care of by anybody you work with.
in Reseda, California |
I highly recommend Dr. Safa 100% - My radiation therapy is now completed and I will truly miss Dr. Safa and his wonderful staff. Dr. Safa and his staff, Nurse Jennifer, Gloria, coordinator/receptionist, and Hasmukh, and my technicians Raymond and Jessica were so professional and caring and they are a credit to the Leavey Cancer Center, which is a wonderful hospital. I truly appreciate the care Dr. Safa and staff have shown me. It was such a pleasant experience and I never had one complaint!
Have you seen Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Are you Dr. Safa?