Dr. Afshin Safa, MD

Dr. Afshin Safa, MD

Radiation Oncology  |

Dr. Afshin Safa, MD is a radiation oncology doctor who practices in Northridge, CA. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Read his story

Leavey Cancer Center

• Health Net of California
  • HealthCare Partners
  • WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Safa

See how frequently Dr. Safa performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Cancer
high
Thyroid Cancer
Prostate Cancer

Dr. Safa's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Safa's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Safa "Dr. Safa is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Radiation Oncology at UCLA School of Medicine. He is active in teaching residents and medical students in the art of bedside manners and how to help patients manage their emotional challenges while fighting cancer. Dr. Safa has practiced at Northridge Hospital Medical Center for over 17 years where he serves as the Chair of the Cancer Committee and the Medical Director of Radiation Oncology at Leavey Cancer Center. Dr. Safa has expertise in IMRT, IGRT, Stereotactic Radiation Therapy, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, and Brachytherapy. He is recognized in Best Doctors in America for over 13 years. He was awarded Humankindness Award by Dignity Health Hospitals for his exemplary compassionate care. "

This content was provided by Dr. Safa "As a UCLA Professor who is active in teaching radiation oncology residents, I  teach my patients as to what  is happening to their body and what to expect both emotionally and physically when diagnosed with cancer. Positive encouragement and proper nutrition are critical in this fight. We provide state of the art cancer care  in a friendly, compassionate setting.

We incorporate the latest scientific research with state-of-the-art radiation techniques in your treatment. I am committed to foster a strong relationship with each patient based on trust, open communication, and compassion. We offer integrative oncology services to support your well-being and decrease stress with on-site nutritionists, cancer care navigators, and supportive care /meditation services.

One my patient's wrote: "Going through such a difficult time, I never expected to be happy to see the smiling faces that greeted me every day let alone miss them when my treatment was over.""

• Radiation Oncology

• Cranial Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • External Beam Radiotherapy
  • Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
  • High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
  • Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
  • Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
  • Prostate Brachytherapy
  • Radiation Oncology Procedures
  • Radiation Therapy
  • Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Spinal or Cranial
  • Stereotactic Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• University of California, Los Angeles
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1991
  • University Of California, San Diego, School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1995
  • University of California At San Diego
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
  • University of California, Los Angeles. (UCLA)
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2000
  • University of California, Los Angeles. (UCLA)
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2000

• Listed in The American Breast Cancer Guide, 2005
  • AMA Physician Recognition Award, 1999
  • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2010
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/Whit, 2005-2006
  • Los Angeles Radiological Society Award for Contribution to the Growth & Development of the society, 2006
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2003-2004
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC:Woodward/White, 2007-2008
  • Listed in Best Doctors in America Aiken SC: Woodward/White, 2009-2010
  • RSNA Research Resident Grant- $30,000 Stipend for “Investigating the role of radiation therapy in prevention of restenosis in vascular grafts, 1998
  • First Place Scientific Exhibit Award for Oncology - Los Angeles Radiological Society, 1999
  • Winner of “Top Healthcare Professional in the Valley”. San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 2006
  • Listed in Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California Super Doctors, 2011
  • Positron Emission Tomography: An Independent Indicator of Radiocurability in Head and Neck Carcinomas, 2000
  • Accuracy and Clinical Impact of Mediastinal Lymph Node Staging with FDG-PET Imaging in Potentially Resectable Lung Cancer, 2000
  • Efficacy of radiation therapy in the local control of desmoplastic malignant melanoma, 2003
  • The role of radiation in the treatment of advanced juvenile angiofibroma, 2002
  • Radiation effects on the food chain 3/18/2011, 2011
  • Iodine dangers and the rush to purchase in the event of a nuclear disaster, 2011
  • Esophageal Cancer and Reflux disease, 2005
  • General radiation and radiation poisoning in response to the nuclear disaster in Japan, 2011

• Farsi

Dr. Safa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Safa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Safa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Safa to family and friends
Dr. Safa's Performance
in Northridge, Ca |
Dr. Safa and is team were what I consider to be top notch and excellent in care and simply listening to me as I went through this ordeal of radiation for esophageal cancer. From Gloria at the front desk to Jennifer the nurse and care and attention cold not have been better. You would be hard pressed to say anything negative about anyone on this team. Thank you Raymond, Jessica, Hasmukh and Tracey. I hope to never see you again but I am sure glad I saw you this time. Thank you!
in West Hills, CA |
I highly recommend Dr. Safa. He answered all my questions and calmed my anxieties about radiation treatment.
in Northridge, CA |
front (Gloria), to the nurse (Jennifer) and techs (Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica, and Tracey)- all of them were fantastic and great and cute!. especially Dr Safa.
in porter Ranch , CA |
(Gloria), to the nurse (Jennifer) and techs (Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica, and Tracey are very friendly and they make me fell great because they provide the great environment and comfort. . they always listen and answer my questions . thank you for being here for me. Maya
in Winnetka,, CA |
From the minute i first walked in the front door of the center i could sense the caring and supportive atmosphere . It all starts with Gloria is very pleasant calling me by name every day and was very helpful with paperwork and setting up of appointments. The clinical staff is excellent. Jennifer is easy to talk to and puts a person at ease immediately.. Jessica - Tracey & Raymond were absolutely wonderful. Dr. Safa is extremely good ... very thorough and completely answers all questions.
in Woodland Hills, CA |
I spent a lot of time with Jennifer, Raymond, Hasmukh, and Dr. Safa, and they made a bad situation as good as humanly possible. They were all very caring and helped me get through my successful treatments. I had a long recovery after and they continued to follow me and stay very concerned with my well being. The in house massages were amazing and helped me get through it physically as well as mentally. I look forward to my follow up appointments so I get to see this great group again.
in RESEDA CA |
eceptionist up front (Gloria), to the nurse (Jennifer) and techs (Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica, and Tracey)they all good friendly i love then all they are my family im so comfortable to be wit them theyare awesome thank you for caring me im so grateful to all of you dr safa is the best dr i meet thank you so much for all your help god blees all thanks so much everyone
in Chattsworth, CA |
outstanding patient care,thorough composonate,and always considerate of my needs & feelings. . what an outstanding team dr. safa has assembled to treat the patients with radiation oncology.Dr. safa is a great "bedside manner" doctor. The reciponist Grace holds every thing together at northridge. The sisters devoted to sacred heart ih chatsworth prayed for a succesful outcome for myradiation therapy. thank you to the staff for my sucessful outcomee. john.
in Arleta, CA |
When life is so precious and hope is a dream. Dr. Safa and his team, made our dream come true. Linne’s treatment was a grueling fight for her life. But with Dr. Safa’s team; UCLA Oncology & surgery we are blessed with the best results. Thank you Dr, Safa, Jennifer, Gloria, Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh for your most excellent care and treatment.
Phoenix, AZ |
I've come to Dr. Safa for about a year, and he is amazing. He and his staff were so wonderful and comforting to me at all times. I also want to thank Dr. Tang, who keeps an eye on my health too, and makes sure that I'm well.
in Winnetka, CA |
All the staffs are very helpful and friendly. Dr. Safa is very kind with patience. I feel very comfortable to talk to them,
in Winnetka, CA |
I don't even know what to say. The whole experience was wonderful. From the receptionist up front (Gloria), to the nurse (Jennifer) and techs (Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica, and Tracey). They all made the most depressing situation of my life, a lot more comfortable and positive. They catered to all my needs emotionally, mentally, and physically. They were there to support me, and I will forever be grateful to Dr. Safa and his amazing staff.
in Granada Hills, California |
I have full confidence in both Dr. Safa and all of his staff. They took me through a difficult journey and were with me every step of the way. The staff is kind and attentive. I have never felt rushed and could my questions answered. I appreciate that Dr. Safa is honest and clear with the treatment plan and after care. I do and have recommend this facility for anyone who is facing a life challenge with cancer. I am grateful for their treatment before and now.
in Encino CA |
When I found out that I am suffering from multi myeloma, I lost my hope completely and I was wondering what would happen in my short future life. I thought the world has come to an end for me until I met Dr. Safa. I am sure that with the help of Dr.Safa and his staff members I will be able to overcome and beat this disease! I am grateful to Dr. Safa for what he has done and will do and I highly recommend Dr. Safa to anyone who may need his service! Thank you!!!
in reseda |
They are all fabulous and I am so grateful . I can keep going on with my life and they were all particularly wonderful. and please don't let go of anyone of them especially Hasmukh
in Chatsworth CA |
Excellent and compassionate doctor and staffs.
in Northridge, CA |
Everything was great- I was treated 5 years ago with Gamma knife and i am doing great with no evidence of my cancer. Thanks
in Northridge, CA |
I started with my radiation treatments, very nervous and not knowing what to expect. At my first treatment I realized that I was in Perfect hands. Everyone could not be more caring, having treatment everyday I felt that this was a new family. I was always welcomed and felt SAFE. It was a very emotional journey and to have the support was priceless. A real bonus was Kendra being their when I finished up treatments for that perfect massage.
Phoenix, AZ |
stephanie-van-nuys My experience with Dr. Safa and his staff was excellent. Everyone made me feel so comfortable and at ease. It makes a world of difference having such excellent care from and incredible team.
in Northridge, CA |
I was a "dead man walking" when Dr. Safa and the team here at the Cancer Center recused me. During my radiation treatments, everyone from Jenniffer (Main RN), to Hasmukh, Raymond, Jessica and Tracy (Radiation Techs), to Gloria (Receptionist), are/were just awesome. They handled me with care when I was at my weakest, and gave me positive encouragement as they saw my condition improve. I am highly reccommending this staff because they know what they"re doing and truely care about their patients.
Sacramento, CA |
everyone here was great! Dr. Safa, Jessica, Tracey, Raymond Jennifer and Gloria are fantastics. They are very friendly.
in Santa Clarita |
. Jennifer, Gloria, Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh
in Phoenix, AZ |
I first want to say that the staff listed below have been wonderful. As we just indicated to Dr. Safa, our appointments weren't like coming to the doctors office, but felt as if we were coming to visit our extended family. Everyone was so generous with their time and their attidues were fantastic. In closing, we continue to look forward to our visits and would highly recommend Dr. Safa and his Staff. Jennifer, Gloria, Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh
in Van Nuys |
I loved everyone - When I left, I felt I lost part of my family and I really missed them when done. I loved them all, but I really appreciated Jennifer and Jessica. Gloria at the reception was awesome and helped with all my copays she helped me alot and worked her buttoff for me. , Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh were great too.
in Northridge, CA |
Jennifer, Gloria, Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh were just the ideal team to experience daily for awhile. Not only did they make me feel comfortable, but also listened well to my scheduling needs . I was also offered my musical preference during the sessions. Coming to the sessions was never a drag, but actually I looked at them as a time to see my buddies and relax for awhile.They definitely get 5 stars from me!
in West hills , CA |
I could not be more pleased or comfortable or taken care of as I was here. They did everything they could to make it comfortable. Nurse Jennifer was great , Hasmukh, Raymond , Jessica, were awesome . Gloria is very nice . I was absolutely happy with everyone. I would love to see them again for just checking in. hopefully I don't need anymore treatment.,
in Sacramento, CA |
Dr. Safa is a complete JOY, he listens, actually listens. His communication skills are great when dealing with difficult topics. The radiation staff, Jennifer, Hasmook, Ray, Jessica, always took care of me and showed they actually cared about me. They're professionalism, extensive knowledge, compassion, empathy, humor and smiles made my radiation treatment easier.
in Northridge, CA |
Dr Safa and staff were so kind to take time and give me full explanation of where I am. I have had two appointments and Jennifer had patience and understanding to listen to me at both. She showed kindness and caring while still being very professional It was unbelievable. Dr Safa explained my options so carefully in taking time to write things down for me. Between appointments I carried his paper and read it often. He updated it today with several comments. Thank you :-)..
Van Nuys |
excellent care ; made my pain go away
in Los Angeles |
I have completed my radiology and I have nothing but praise for Dr. Safa and his excellent support team; Jennifer, Gloria, Tracey, Jessica, Raymond and Hasmukh. I especially want to acknowledge Hasmukh and her wise care of my skin as it got annoyed with the radiation. She assisted me in easing any discomfort and created a "Christian Dior" bra that allowed me to have great comfort. Every person in this group makes you feel safe and supported. I can recommend them without hesitation.
Northridge, CA |
The amount of care and effort by the doctor Safa and his crew of nurses, Jackie, Hasmek, and all caretakers is undeniable. the staff is utterly friendly and caring. The receptionist, Gloria is extreamely helpful and acomodating. All in all we always feel comfortable and well taken care of every time we are here. I highly recommend Dr. Safa.
Northridge, CA |
Dr Safa is understanding & explains everything to you in ways anyone can understand. I have already told people how wonderful the staff is at the Leavey Cancer Center.
in Northridge, CA |
A doctor can only operate as well as the staff which supports him. I am very comfortable with Dr. Safa. He is approachable, and I feel it is easy to trust his knowledge. A doctor is only as great as the staff which supports him and the staff is fantastic. Jennifer is open, easy to talk to, and thorough in her examination, and finds answers to all of my questions. Hasmut handles most of my radiation, she helps me so much to stay calm. All of the people at this practice are wonderful. I felt cared
Elk Grove, CA |
Jennifer, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, and Tracy
in Pacoima, CA |
Jennifer, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, Tracy and Hoda What a Great Team! :) Thank you all for helping me feel as comfortable a possible during this crazy, scary time in life.
in Phoenix, AZ |
The staff was very informative on all the procedures Timing of procedure was available when requested Extremely friendly and courteous Felt really relieved after each session Would recommend this facility to everyone
sylmar,ca |
I would recommend Dr Safa and staff in a heartbeat. They treat you like you are family. They take time to listen to all your concerns, they are very knowledgeable and help make it easier to understand the illness and treatment. Everyone along the way is caring, patient and extremely nice. Gloria at front desk always welcomes you with a warm smile and greeting. Jennifer is amazing in making sure all your concerns are addressed by Dr Safa. Radiation team Hasmuk, Ray,Tracy Jessica are all Fantastic
in Los Angeles, CA |
So wonderful to be able to enter such an excellent facility and have folks like Jennifer, Roxan, Jessica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, and Tracy take care of me! They are all so kind and friendly. Dr Safa is very clear and makes sure you understand every detail of your treatment.
in pORTER RANCH, CA |
I feel that I recieved excellent and caring assisitance during the cancer treatment.
in Encino, California |
Dr. Safa and his entire staff were very helpful, explained every thoroughly and answered all my questions before, during and after my radiation treatments. Jennifer, Hasmukh, Raymond, Tracie, Araz and Jessica were very gentle and kind everyday during my treatments. Always helped me to get in the proper position and when I was finished. Dr. Safa went over Follow-Up Notes and filled me in on the fact the Anastrozole medication can have a tendency to put on weight which has already happened.
Canoga Park , CA |
Dr. Safa is a scientist that knows his stuff and cares about patients. He is very detail oriented and goes through all symptoms, and there is nothing that he doesn't see or pay attention. He selects the best prosedure and the one that the patient needs. Here is about life and death and every one of his staff are serious, well prepared, and kind at the same time. I knew that I was in good hands when I was with them. Jennifer, Roxan, Jesica, Raymond, Gloria, Hasmukh, Tracy, all were the best.
I saw Dr. Safa & his staff from March-April 2017 for radiation. Jennifer, the RN, was so friendly, it was a joy to see her. Raymond, Roxanne, Arza, Jessica, & Hasmukh were all very professional, and answered any questions I had during treatment. I was able to play my own music during treatment, and that helped my spirits a lot. Gloria, at the reception, was great as well, as was able to accommodate my schedule whenever I needed a change. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his excellent staff!
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa is kind, compassionate, honest and my husband and I always felt extremely comfortable and confident in his care. Additionally, his staff which includes Gloria, the receptionist, to the radiology staff and 100% professional, comforting, and very special. After our initial visit and thereafter, we looked forward to our daily visits to "the team". I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Safa as well as the technicians. They are angels!!!
in Sylmar, CA |
Dr. Safa always show great concern and care with my medical condition, the staff starting with Gloria and all the medical staff are just as caring, making me feel a very special patient. Thank you for everything. Luisa
in Northridge, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff made me feel so comfortable during this, the most stressful time of my life. His staff of Jennifer, Roxanne, Raymond, Arza, Jessica, Hasmukh, and Gloria, made it a pleasure to come here for each of the twenty eight days. They were friendly, upbeat, and compassionate. I was always taken on time, and made comfortable in the radiation room, with my favorite music playing, and getting "tucked in" with warm sheets. A few times I was so relaxed that I fell asleep!
Reseda, CA |
Dr. Safa and his team, including Jennifer, Hasmukh, Raymond, Tracey, Jessica, and Araz were very supportive and helpful during my treatment. I truly appreciate their expertise and care in their interactions. I highly recommend Dr. Safa and his team to anyone who needs a supportive and caring team of professionals as part of their recovery team.
in Simi Valley, CA |
Dr. Safa and his staff preformed perfectly. They explained each step of the way, were considerate, and accommodating. The outcome of my facial procedure was better then I expected.
in Chatsworth, CA |
Dr. Safa is one of the finest doctors I have seen. He is thorough, caring, and offers individual explanations to his patients. I feel vey comfortable every time I see him, and I look forward to my visits. His radiology treatments are well planned and easy. He spends as much time with his patients as the patient needs.
in Porter Ranch, CA |
I'm so lucky to be a patient of Dr. Safa and his entire support staff. They worked together as a fabulous team to listen, comfort and direct my physical and emotional needs throughout my 21 radiation treatments. I highly recommend anyone diagnosed with cancer to have a consultation. It's important to count your blessings, because they are one of them.
in Los Angeles, CA |
The doctor has a very warm friendly demeanor and explains all info in very clear understandable terms.
Have you seen Dr. Afshin Safa, MD?
Are you Dr. Safa?