Dr. Adam Tripp, MD

PsychiatryMaleAge 45

Psychiatry

Dr. Adam Tripp, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Suny Upstate Medical University (Syracuse) medical school in 2006. He is affiliated with medical facilities UPMC Presbyterian and UPMC St. Margaret. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Adam Tripp, MD

Tripp Psychiatry LLC

230 N Craig St Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Pennsylvania

Check Dr. Tripp's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcohol or Substance Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Conversion Disorder
  • Dementia or Depression Screening
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychological Evaluation
  • Psychological Evaluations Prior to Bariatric Surgery
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Tobacco Use Disorder

Dr. Tripp accepts

Dr. Tripp accepts the following insurance:

Select

A+
A+ psychiatrist dr tripp
Jun 24, 2022
Bad Experience
I had a very bad experience with this doctor/office. It was very difficult to get an appointment and I was yelled at for not knowing they had intake paper work on their website (which was difficult to find even when they described where to go). The doctor was terse and condescending. I eventually sought care elsewhere because I felt unheard and poorly treated on a personal level.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Joe – May 28, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
Dr. Tripp has a calming, personal and direct approach that really gets to the core of what's going on without feeling cold, clinical, or removed from emotion. He and the folks he works with are just super kind and understanding, and really supportive of getting better. They really live up to their name. When I came to Dr. Tripp, I had been at a personal rock bottom from years of alcoholism and undiagnosed bipolar disorder slowly ruining my life. I was in genuine crisis when we met, almost completely dissociated and really contemplating suicide. If I hadn't seen Dr. Tripp when I did, and if I didn't get his expert care, I don't know that I'd even be here writing this. Thank you Dr. Tripp, and to everyone else at Better Stories. Much love, be well.
Mar 09, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
As a member of the LGBTQ+ community it is incredibly important to find healthcare providers that truly understand how to support and treat you. I have been seeing Dr. Tripp for several years. He and the entire team at Better Stories are the absolute best. I have lived all over the United States and the team at Better Stories is incredibly responsive and practice secure encrypted electronic communication. They truly respect you. This level of service is not easy to find. I can recommend Dr. Tripp and his team without any hesitation.
Oct 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
Dr. Tripp seems to lack empathy and appears as narcissistic as some of his patients probably are. He checks up on how your mood is and so forth, but shows no desire to even smile, make even a minimal amount of small talk, or even crack a joke. I know he is a psychiatrist and there are psychotherapists out there where one can do all of that with, but I sure can't wait until the appointment is over when talking with him. He has an icy stone cold personality (at least when dealing with patients). I feel worse at the end of every appointment I have with him than I did at the beginning and feel as if I'm some worthless object he's talking to rather than a person.
  • Appointment was rushed
Sep 17, 2021
Excellent physician. 5/5
Jul 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
My young adult child was seen via telehealth by one of the nurse practitioners in Dr. Tripp's office. When they reached out to her expressing that they have been fighting suicidal urges on a regular basis and that they wanted to make a plan in case they needed to go to the hospital, the nurse told them that "they weren't sick enough for that"!! She completely ignored or dismissed everything that they had to say about their own mental health. They were devastated and it made their condition even worse because they started to doubt themselves and their own feelings. Never again will we go to this practice - so unprofessional.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jul 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
Dr Tripp is fantastic -- I saw him for nearly 2 years and the only reason I don't see him now is because my insurance changed. My fiancé also saw him for a while and also had a good experience, he only left because he does not want to take medications at the moment. I have severe treatment-resistant depression (plus more controlled GAD), and Dr Tripp was very open to non-drug treatments since the medicines I tried didn't help. If I had been able to stay with him, our next plan was for TMS therapy or ketamine therapy. Can't recommend him enough!
Amelia – Dec 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr Tripp’s for about 3 years. He is an excellent practitioner that not only understands his field but is constantly encouraging alternative and holistic care. He treats the entire patient. He has been most patient in helping me through my psychiatric issues. Dr Tripp is straightforward and no nonsense yet always petitions for my input. I’m very thankful he is one of my healthcare providers.
Sep 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
I researched psychiatrists for months before a friend recommended Dr. Tripp. I am extremely happy with my first visit. He is very knowledgeable and direct, also kind and understanding. He fully explained my diagnosis and treatment options. I really appreciate how he went over each possible medication then asked how I felt about them. I would definitely recommend him.
Brandy in Pittsburgh , PA – Jul 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
I started seeing Dr Tripp about 6 months ago. I had 2 visits to ER's in 5 days due to depression and severe panic attacks. I literally couldn't function. The ER visits to 2 hospitals in the Eastern part of Pittsburgh only resulted in "sorry, we aren't really equipped to help you unless you are going to hurt yourself. His help was worth the wait. I've been seeing Dr Tripp and supplementing with psychologist visits for therapy. It's been a long road but worth the effort.
Bill in Pittsburgh, PA – Jun 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
I saw Dr. Tripp for a couple of years, and he was the first psychiatrist to take me off medication, and I have been med free for 3 months. Working in collaboration with my therapist we developed a plan for me to continue with exercise and psychotherapy and yoga, and I came off 3 medications. If I ever needed meds in the future I would definitely go back.
Jill – May 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
Dr. Tripp was tremendously smug, arrogant, and rude. One would think a professional who is in a field dedicated to talking with patients would be capable of talking with patients. Dr. Tripp, however, acts toward and speaks to people as if they are the burden with which he must deal. I can not believe that he actually chose to go into mental health. A medical field with less patient interaction would have been more appropriate for his demeanor. Avoid.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Apr 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
Intelligent, honest, practical, and really able to provide effective traditional and more current options. Choices and options are collaborative and customized to each patient. Exceptional patient care!
Jean in Pittsburgh – Apr 17, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
Very responsive and helpful - takes patient preferences seriously.
Barbara in Pittsburgh, PA – Mar 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Tripp for over a year. He had been recommended to me by my old psychiatrist when she retired. My bipolar disease had been well under control for several years, and I was very pleased that Dr. Tripp felt that there was no reason to mess around with my medications. He understood that there is no one who understands my condition better than me. He is very easy to work with, and really knows his stuff.
Ron in Pittsburgh PA – Feb 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Adam Tripp, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Tripp?

While making the right diagnosis is important and often crucial to receiving the best treatment, my ultimate goal is to help you maximize your quality...Read more

• Psychiatry

2011
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
2008
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
2006
Suny Upstate Medical University (Syracuse)
1998
State University Of New York College At Potsdam

• NCDEU 2010 New Investigator Award Program. NCDEU 2010 Meeting, Boca Raton, FL., 2010
  • APA/Lilly Resident Research Award. American Psychiatric Association. Annual APA Meeting, Honolulu, HA., 2011
  • Alpha Omega Alpha, Gamma Chapter, Best Research Poster Award, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, 2005
  • APIRE Janssen Resident Psychiatric Research Scholars. American Psychiatric Association. Annual APA meeting, New Orleans, LA., 2010
  • Society for Biological Psychiatry Meeting 2012 Top Poster Award Finalist. Philadelphia, PA., 2012
  • SUNY Chancellors Award for Student Excellence. SUNY Upstate Medical University. Syracuse, New York, 2006
  • NIMH Brain Camp II. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Banbury Center, NY., 2010
  • Research Colloquium for Junior Investigators. American Psychiatric Association. Annual APA Meeting, Honolulu, HA., 2011
  • Marc Hollender Award in Psychiatry. Psychiatry Department, SUNY Upstate Medical University. Syracuse, New York., 2006
  • A. Geno Andreatta Student Affairs Award, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, 2006
  • University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Psychiatry Department Outstanding Graduating Resident. Pittsburgh, PA., 2011
  • John Bernard Henry Endowed Scholarship Award, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, 2006
  • Student Citizen Scholarship, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, 2005