Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Adam Sonabend Worthalter, MD
Dr. Sonabend sees patients at Northwestern Medicine and is an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. His primary clinical focus is the surgical management of tumors of the brain and skull base, including brain metastasis from other cancers, intraventricular tumors, gliomas such as oligodendrogliomas, ependymomas, astrocytomas and glioblastomas, CNS lymphoma, meningiomas, and craniopharyngiomas. He is also interested in trigeminal neuralgia and its surgical management. As a surgeon, he integrates techniques such as laser ablation, radiosurgery, convection-enhanced delivery, stereotaxic navigation, fluorescent microscopy, microsurgery, as well as awake and asleep brain mapping techniques with electrophysiology to achieve safe and effective resections. Dr. Sonabend earned his medical degree at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, where he graduated obtaining the Gabino Barreda Medal for the Highest Academic Achievement. Dr. Sonabend worked as a research associate at The University of Chicago Brain Tumor Laboratory, where he pioneered the use of stem cells for adenoviral gene therapy for glioblastoma. He then trained in neurological surgery at Columbia University Neurological Institute of New York. During this time, Dr. Sonabend continued his research in neuro-oncology and tumor biology. Dr. Sonabend's move to Northwestern University will allow him to take advantage of the infrastructure, and robust clinical research expertise to develop a clinical trial using a personalized approach to TOP2-targeting therapies for gliomas. Dr. Sonabend's research focuses on the use of molecular analysis to personalize treatments for patients with malignant brain tumors and the delivery of these treatments directly into the brain to improve their efficacy while avoiding unnecessary side effects. He is involved in several clinical trials to test novel and promising therapies for patients with brain tumors. In 2015, he was one of only 16 physicians-scientists, and the only neurosurgeon in the U.S., to receive a prestigious NIH Early Independence Award.

Arkes

676 N Saint Clair St Ste 2210

Chicago, IL 60611

Learn about Dr. Sonabend Worthalter

We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and compassionate, and care for you as a person.

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter's Experience

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery

• Neurosurgery
  • Neuro-Oncology

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter does not have any board certifications listed.

• Acoustic Neuroma

• Skull Base Surgery
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Stereotactic Neurosurgery
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Universidad Nacional Autonoma De Mexico
    Medical School | Graduated 2007
  • New York Presbyterian Hosp Columbia Univ Medical Ctr
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2009
  • New York Presbyterian Hosp Columbia Univ Medical Ctr
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2015

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sonabend Worthalter and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sonabend Worthalter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sonabend Worthalter to family and friends
Dr. Sonabend Worthalter's Performance
in Bayside, NY |
In 2016 an MRI had shown that I had a brain tumor had grown from a slip and fall.After much research I found Dr.Sonabend to have the credentials and expertise to remove it.From my first meeting with him to the day of surgery Dr.Sonabend and his incredible team made me feel so comfortable and reassured that everything will be okay.The operation was a complete success.If anyone is searching for a top neurosurgeon he is the doctor you want.Columbia Neurosurgery should be so proud to have him there
in Yonkers, NY |
Dr. Adam Sonabend is a phenomenal neurosurgeon. He always makes me feel at ease when I see him, despite the severity of my condition. I wouldn't trust anyone more than I trust Dr. Sonabend. He spent a lot of time explaining my condition to my family and I. I had a meningioma the size of a grapefruit that needed to be removed. The surgery was a big success. No complications. I would highly recommend him for any neurosurgery you need done.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Sonabend is so wonderful. Was caring, patient and helpful every step of the way!
in Nanuet, NY 10954 |
Dr. Sonabend, had such a pleasant way when he started out " I know something about you but I don't know everything I' ll tell you what I know and you can fill in ". So pleasant made one feel at ease immediately. The time he took to explain everything covering all angles and giving the patient time to ask questions, he actually covered everything. I left the office relieved and felt I found the Doctor that I wanted the caring, thoughtful, understanding person I was lookin
in Rye Brook, NY |
Dr. Sonabend is gifted and caring surgeon. His surgical skills are amazing. I required a very difficult brain stem tumor surgery. I came out of the surgery with no complications. I had a quick recovery. Dr. Sonabend spent a lot of time with me and my family both before and AFTER the surgery. He answers all questions quickly no matter how small they might seem. He followed up with me on numerous occasions after the surgery. I would trust him with any and all medical decisions.
in Bronx, NY |
Great Doctor made me and family feel comfortable the whole time and we are very pleased with the outcome.
in New York City |
he is an amazing Nuerosugeron!
in New York, NY |
He is very smart and also very kind. He spent a lot of time with us, explained things clearly, and took the time to answer every question we had. His surgical skills seem terrific, as the difficult brain biopsy he performed on my husband resulted in absolutely no complications. His administration assistant is on top of everything, returns calls and emails promptly, and she too is also very kind and supportive.
Have you seen Dr. Adam Sonabend Worthalter, MD?
Are you Dr. Sonabend Worthalter?

See our Neurosurgery Specialist at Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital