Learn more about Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A pediatric hematologist-oncologist specializes in researching, diagnosing and treating blood disorders and cancer in children. Pediatric hematologist-oncologists care for children with blood conditions, such as anemia and bleeding disorders, and cancers, such as brain cancer and leukemia. They often work as part of a healthcare team that includes surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, nurses, and social workers.
A pediatric hematologist-oncologist typically:
- Performs a physical exam and takes a medical history
- Orders and interprets laboratory, imaging, genetic and surgical tests to confirm and analyze the presence of cancer
- Provides preventive screening for blood disorders, such as sickle cell anemia and bleeding conditions
- Diagnoses and treats childhood cancers and acute and chronic diseases and conditions that affect a child’s blood, including problems with blood cell production and blood clotting
- Provides a care plan for cancer treatment, which may include recommending surgery to remove cancer and precancerous cells, radiation therapy, or bone marrow transplantation
- Prescribes medications
- Orders or provides medical treatments to eliminate cancer, such as medication therapy, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and immunotherapy
- Orders or provides palliative therapies, such as medications and physical therapy to manage pain and symptoms
There are 66 specialists practicing Pediatric Hematology & Oncology in Chicago, IL with an overall average rating of 4.5 stars. There are 6 hospitals near Chicago, IL with affiliated Pediatric Hematology & Oncology specialists, including Rush University Medical Center, Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and The University Of Chicago Medical Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialist in Chicago, IL?
How can I find a Chicago, IL Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialist in Chicago, IL?
How can I book an appointment online with a Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialist in Chicago, IL?
How can I find a Chicago, IL Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Specialist in Chicago, IL?