A pediatric neurologist specializes in caring for infants, children and adolescents with diseases and conditions of the brain and nervous system. This includes the spinal cord, nerves, muscles, and related blood vessels. Pediatric neurologists diagnose and treat many diseases, including seizures, sleep disorders, head injuries, learning disabilities, and other developmental problems. Pediatric neurologists are also experts in preventing neurological disease and in reducing neurological disability.
A pediatric neurologist typically:
- Evaluates a child’s medical history within the context of growth and development and educates the child and parents or guardians about brain and nervous system health and disease prevention
- Performs physical exams that include evaluating blood pressure, vital signs, and the health of the brain and nervous system
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Diagnoses and treats acute and chronic diseases and conditions that affect the brain and nervous system including headaches, learning disabilities, seizures, and concussions
- Screens, treats and monitors conditions that increase the risk of serious brain and nervous system conditions, such as a head injury that can lead to long-term memory loss and headaches
- Performs certain invasive procedures such as lumbar puncture
- Provides direct care for brain and nervous system conditions in the office and in the hospital
- Works closely with your child’s pediatrician or primary care doctor and other specialists and members of your healthcare team to provide optimal care
Pediatric neurologists may also be known by the following names: child brain doctor, child brain specialist, kids brain doctor, children’s neurologist, and children’s nerve doctor.
There is 1 specialist practicing Pediatric Neurology in Santa Cruz, CA with an overall average rating of 4.5 stars.