Learn more about Pediatric Nephrology Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A pediatric nephrologist specializes in the health needs of infants, children and adolescents with kidney diseases and disorders. Pediatric nephrologists diagnose and treat problems with children’s kidneys, such as kidney stones and kidney failure. They also help manage conditions related to kidney disease, such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
A pediatric nephrologist typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and kidney function
- Diagnoses and treats acute and chronic diseases and conditions that affect children’s kidneys including diabetes, childhood nephrotic syndrome, kidney failure, hemolytic uremic syndrome, hereditary kidney disease, and kidney stones
- Analyzes the results of kidney disease screenings including urine tests, blood tests, and biopsies
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Evaluates whether a child with kidney disease needs dialysis or a kidney transplant
- Orders and performs kidney dialysis procedures
- Provides care before and after kidney transplants and other kidney surgeries
- Creates lifestyle plans for helping patients maintain their kidney function including dietary and medication changes
- Collaborates with other healthcare providers, such as pediatric surgeons, pediatric urologists, nutritionists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and social workers, who help patients and their families manage their kidney conditions
A pediatric nephrologist may also be known by the following names: children’s kidney doctor, pediatric renal specialist, children’s renal specialist, pediatric kidney specialist, or children’s kidney specialist.
There are 77 specialists practicing Pediatric Nephrology in New York with an overall average rating of 4.4 stars. There are 35 hospitals in New York with affiliated Pediatric Nephrology specialists, including Strong Memorial Hospital, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center.