A naturopath specializes in naturopathy or naturopathic medicine. Naturopathy is a form of alternative medicine based on the principle of vis medicatrix naturae, or the healing power of nature and the human body. Depending on state regulations, a naturopath may be a naturopathic doctor, medical or osteopathic doctor (MD or DO), another licensed healthcare provider, or an unlicensed layperson.
A naturopath typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s health and illness holistically (as a whole)
- Conducts in-depth patient interviews to learn about a person’s lifestyle, diet, stress levels, exercise habits, environment, family history, and his or her mental, emotional and spiritual state
- Performs a physical exam
- Educates patients about health and wellness
- Orders and interprets laboratory tests and imaging exams if licensed to do so by the state
- Prescribes medications if licensed to do so by the state
- Supports the body’s natural ability to heal and restore itself to health
- Prevents illness by identifying risk factors for disease and intervening to reduce risk
- Treats the patient holistically (as a whole) to individualize therapy
- Diagnoses and treats the cause of disease rather than focusing on the symptoms of a disease
A naturopath may also be known by the following names: naturopathic doctor (ND), traditional naturopath, or naturopathic practitioner.
There are 32 specialists practicing Naturopathy in Bend, OR with an overall average rating of 4.5 stars. There are 3 hospitals near Bend, OR with affiliated Naturopathy specialists, including St. Charles Bend, Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center and Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center.