Learn more about Geriatric Medicine Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A geriatrician specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of health conditions in older seniors and the elderly. Geriatric specialists typically treat adults older than 65 who have multiple chronic conditions, such as diabetes and thyroid disease, or serious injuries, such as hip fracture. They also provide regular, routine primary care for older adults. Geriatricians work in hospitals, private medical clinics, community health clinics, long-term care facilities, and assisted living facilities.
A geriatric doctor typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and teaches the patient about wellness and disease prevention
- Diagnoses and treats acute diseases and conditions including infections and injuries
- Screens, treats and monitors a range of chronic physical conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid disease, and heart disease
- Screens, treats and monitors a range of mental and emotional conditions, such as dementia, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse
- Assesses a person’s ability to perform everyday living activities, such as eating, dressing and driving
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Consults with other members of a patient’s medical and surgical team
- Provides cancer screenings, such as skin, breast, prostate and thyroid exams
A geriatrician may also be known as senior care doctor.
There are 74 specialists practicing Geriatric Medicine in San Antonio, TX with an overall average rating of 4.1 stars. There are 16 hospitals near San Antonio, TX with affiliated Geriatric Medicine specialists, including University Hospital - University Health System, Baptist Medical Center and Methodist Hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Geriatric Medicine Specialist in San Antonio, TX?
How can I find a San Antonio, TX Geriatric Medicine Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Geriatric Medicine Specialist in San Antonio, TX?
How can I book an appointment online with a Geriatric Medicine Specialist in San Antonio, TX?
How can I find a San Antonio, TX Geriatric Medicine Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Geriatric Medicine Specialist in San Antonio, TX?