A geriatrician specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of health conditions in older seniors and the elderly. Geriatric specialists typically treat adults older than 65 who have multiple chronic conditions, such as diabetes and thyroid disease, or serious injuries, such as hip fracture. They also provide regular, routine primary care for older adults. Geriatricians work in hospitals, private medical clinics, community health clinics, long-term care facilities, and assisted living facilities.
A geriatric doctor typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and teaches the patient about wellness and disease prevention
- Diagnoses and treats acute diseases and conditions including infections and injuries
- Screens, treats and monitors a range of chronic physical conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid disease, and heart disease
- Screens, treats and monitors a range of mental and emotional conditions, such as dementia, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse
- Assesses a person’s ability to perform everyday living activities, such as eating, dressing and driving
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Consults with other members of a patient’s medical and surgical team
- Provides cancer screenings, such as skin, breast, prostate and thyroid exams
A geriatrician may also be known as senior care doctor.
There are 37 specialists practicing Geriatric Medicine in Alameda, CA with an overall average rating of 3.6 stars. There are 13 hospitals near Alameda, CA with affiliated Geriatric Medicine specialists, including Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Summit and Saint Francis Memorial Hospital.