Learn more about Gastroenterology Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A gastroenterologist specializes in preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, or digestive system. This includes the esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas and gallbladder. A GI specialist focuses on the health needs of adults with digestive problems.
A gastroenterologist typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and educates the patient about digestive health and disease prevention
- Performs colonoscopies, endoscopies, and other imaging exams of the digestive tract
- Orders and interprets laboratory tests and GI function studies
- Prescribes medications
- Screens, treats and monitors GI cancers
- Diagnoses and treats digestive disorders including ulcers, reflux conditions, bowel diseases, motility problems, and liver disease
- Performs endoscopic procedures on the digestive system, such as biopsies, polyp removal, intestinal dilation, placement of drainage tubes, and tumor removal without surgery
A gastroenterologist may also be known by the following names: GI specialist, GI doctor, or stomach doctor.
There are 186 specialists practicing Gastroenterology in Decatur, GA with an overall average rating of 4.1 stars. There are 41 hospitals near Decatur, GA with affiliated Gastroenterology specialists, including Northside Hospital, Piedmont Hospital and Emory University Hospital Midtown.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Gastroenterology Specialist in Decatur, GA?
How can I find a Decatur, GA Gastroenterology Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Gastroenterology Specialist in Decatur, GA?
How can I book an appointment online with a Gastroenterology Specialist in Decatur, GA?
How can I find a Decatur, GA Gastroenterology Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Gastroenterology Specialist in Decatur, GA?