Learn more about Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A family medicine doctor specializes in the comprehensive prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and ongoing care for a wide range of conditions. Family medicine is a broad specialty that focuses on your general, overall health rather than one type of disease or condition. Family medicine specialists often serve as a primary care doctor, providing preventive and therapeutic care services for the entire family through all stages of life.
Family medicine doctors treat a wide variety of conditions and often consult with other members of the patient’s medical team. A family doctor typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and teaches the patient about wellness and disease prevention
- Diagnoses and treats acute diseases and conditions including infections and injuries
- Screens, treats and monitors a range of chronic physical conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid disease, heart disease, and depression
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Performs minor surgical procedures and assists with major procedures
- Provides cancer screenings, such as skin and thyroid exams
- Performs reproductive health screenings including pelvic exams, Pap smears, breast exams, and sexually transmitted disease screenings
- Provides care, in some cases, for women during pregnancy, labor and delivery, and after delivery
- Provides family planning and contraceptive counseling including birth control prescriptions
Family medicine doctors may also be known by the following names: family physician, family practice doctor, family practitioner, family medicine physician, family medicine specialist, family doctor, primary care physician (pcp), and general practitioner.
There are 109 specialists practicing Family Medicine in Mount Vernon, WA with an overall average rating of 3.9 stars. There are 12 hospitals near Mount Vernon, WA with affiliated Family Medicine specialists, including Skagit Valley Hospital, Peacehealth United General Medical Center and Providence Regional Medical Center Everett.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Family Medicine Specialist in Mount Vernon, WA?
How can I find a Mount Vernon, WA Family Medicine Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Family Medicine Specialist in Mount Vernon, WA?
How can I book an appointment online with a Family Medicine Specialist in Mount Vernon, WA?
How can I find a Mount Vernon, WA Family Medicine Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Family Medicine Specialist in Mount Vernon, WA?