An endodontist is a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the dental pulp, tooth root, and surrounding tissues. The dental pulp is the soft connective tissue inside a tooth that contains blood vessels and nerves. An endodontist is a root canal specialist. The overall goal of endodontists is to help people retain their natural teeth with preventive care and endodontic surgery.
An endodontist typically:
- Evaluates the patient's dental and medical history and performs a dental and oral exam
- Teaches patients about dental and oral conditions and diseases, good oral hygiene, and oral disease prevention
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests such as X-rays
- Prescribes medications including antibiotics and pain medications
- Diagnoses diseases and conditions of the dental pulp, tooth root, and tissue surrounding the root
- Treats various diseases affecting dental pulp and root of the tooth including pulp infections and cracked teeth
- Administers anesthesia and performs root canals, tooth extractions, and endodontic surgery
- Makes referrals to and collaborates with other dental specialists to ensure optimal care
An endodontist may also be known by the following terms: dentist, root canal dentist, root canal doctor, or root canal specialist.
There are 41 specialists practicing Endodontics in Colorado Springs, CO with an overall average rating of 4.6 stars. There are 6 hospitals near Colorado Springs, CO with affiliated Endodontics specialists, including University of Colorado Health - Memorial Hospital Central, Penrose-St. Francis Health Services and St. Francis Medical Center.