An endocrinologist specializes in diagnosing and treating hormone imbalances, diabetes, and other problems with your body’s endocrine glands. Endocrine glands include the thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas, ovaries, testicles, hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal glands. An endocrinologist is a diabetes specialist, but also manages the complex health needs of adults with many other endocrine, metabolic or glandular conditions that often affect many body systems.
An endocrinologist typically:
- Evaluates your medical history and past test results
- Performs a physical exam
- Orders and interprets laboratory tests, hormone tests, and imaging exams
- Performs fine-needle aspirations
- Prescribes medications and radiation therapy
- Recommends surgery as needed
- Diagnoses and treats diabetes, thyroid disorders, bone problems, obesity, metabolic syndrome, growth problems, and endocrine cancer
Endocrinology is a subspecialty of internal medicine. For doctors certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, the formal subspecialty is endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism. Endocrinologists may also be known by the following names: diabetes doctor, metabolic doctor, or hormone specialist.
There are 81 specialists practicing Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism in Oakland, CA with an overall average rating of 3.9 stars. There are 16 hospitals near Oakland, CA with affiliated Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism specialists, including California Pacific Medical Center - Pacific Campus, San Francisco General Hospital and Stanford Hospital and Clinics.