Learn more about Dentistry Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A general dentist, or simply dentist, specializes in primary dental care: the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity (mouth, teeth and gums) and the maxillofacial area (head, neck, face and jaw). Dentists also maintain the function and appearance of these areas. The overall goal is to help people keep their teeth, mouth and gums healthy.
A dentist typically:
- Evaluates the patient's dental and medical history and performs an oral exam
- Teaches patients about dental conditions and diseases, good oral hygiene, and oral disease prevention
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests, such as X-rays and saliva tests, and prescribes medications including antibiotics and pain medications
- Diagnoses oral and maxillofacial diseases and conditions based on an evaluation of tests and exams
- Provides preventive oral and primary dental care including dental cleanings and fluoride treatments
- Treats various oral and maxillofacial diseases and conditions including tooth decay, gum disease, and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
- Works closely with other dental specialists and members of your healthcare team as needed to ensure optimal care
A general dentist may also be known by the following terms: dentist, primary dentist, tooth doctor, family dentist, Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), and Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD).
There are 981 specialists practicing Dentistry in Scottsdale, AZ with an overall average rating of 4.4 stars. There are 21 hospitals near Scottsdale, AZ with affiliated Dentistry specialists, including HonorHealth Scottsdale Osborn Medical Center, Mercy Gilbert Medical Center and Honorhealth Scottsdale Shea Medical Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Dentistry Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ?
How can I find a Scottsdale, AZ Dentistry Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Dentistry Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ?
How can I book an appointment online with a Dentistry Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ?
How can I find a Scottsdale, AZ Dentistry Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Dentistry Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ?