Dr. Stephen A. Wagner, DDS

Dr. Stephen A. Wagner, DDS

Maxillofacial Prosthodontics | Male | 68 years old

Learn about this dentist

Our patients are given all treatment options and are never over-treated. Dr. Wagner's main concern is for our patients' satisfaction. Our professional staff aims to meet your every need from maximizing your insurance benefits to assisting you with financing your planned treatment. With an in-house laboratory, Dr. Wagner can directly oversee his technicians on site. Board certified through The American Board of Prosthodontics and achieving a fellowship in the Academy of Prosthodontics, he is currently finishing a textbook on denture making for his publishers. He uses his own revolutionary Wagner Universal ImpressionTrays to make impression-making more comfortable than ever before.Read more

Personal Bio

Experience with Dr. Wagner
Dr. Wagner's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (5)
Albuquerque, NM |
I do not recommend this dentist. His office is poorly run. He takes forever to finish his work and as he nears retirement he takes frequent trips away from the office. He requires a minimum of 5 visits to make dentures and the process takes months and then more time for "adjustments." The office is noisy and hard to reach. It cannot be reached by public transportation. He doesn't solicit input from patients as to what services or type of dentures they want and there is no real informed consent.
I am sorry for your misunderstanding of our practice. Dr. Wagner is not retiring nor is he planning to retire. He does go out of town to attend professional conferences as is required from all serious professionals interested in maintaining their license and stature where he takes continuing education seminars to be the best prosthodontist he can be. Great results require 4 appointments, and healing for 8 weeks is required for a reliable impression. Sometimeswe run behind as happens everywhere.
in Albuquerque, NM |
I got lost for my first appointment and I was 5 minutes late and I was told I had to reschedule. I rescheduled, I guess trying to stay positive. Two months later, I received my confirmation phone call for my next appointment and let the girl know I had come down with Strep Throat and she said I must make the appointment. If not he will not see me at all ever. How would you feel? I am beyond words.
We never turn patients away who are a mere 5 minutes late. You may feel that it was only 5 minutes, but our appointments require that you be here for a full 30 minutes. If you are way too late for us to accomplish the details of that particular appointment, we have to turn certain patients away in order to keep our work flow on time for patients that arrive on time for their appointments. We would never want a patient with step throat to jeopardize the health of our staff or other patients.
in Albuquerque, NM |
Rapid solution to fixing a denture for an out of town visitor.
Thank you so much for recognizing all of the qualities that we strive to achieve with our patients. It is very satisfying to know that we have made you happy with our work.
Office lied on the phone about pricing. After 3 hrs drive more than doubled the price. Spent less than 5 minutes with Dr. Wagner. Staff chased us to parking lot. TOTAL UNPROFESSIONAL.
I remember exactly who you are. What you thought you were coming to see us for was inaccurate once we had completed the evaluation after not having seen you for many years. Coming from Taos to Albuquerque is a long drive, and we appreciate the trust that you once had in Dr. Wagner. However, if you don't want to comply with his treatment that he finds necessary, it is not our fault. This is why you seek a professional. I hope you can find another dentist who lets you dictate your dental treatment
Have you seen Dr. Stephen A. Wagner, DDS?

Compare Dr. Wagner

Compare this Dentist
View other dentists with similar experience to find the right dentist for you.

Dr. Wagner says...

My father, Arthur, was a dentist in Albuquerque followed by his three sons, I being the eldest. He was a great denture maker, and I became excited about dentistry from him. My interest in denture making led me one step further after receiving my DDS from USC with a fellowship at M.D. Anderson in Houston, Texas where I learned the art of maxillofacial prosthodontics. Not only did my studies enhance my denture making abilities, but I was presented with the advanced techniques of restoring the dentition of those afflicted with cancer, birth defects or trauma to the mouth and palate. Additionally I was trained in the prosthesis fabrication allowing patients missing facial features to face the world again. Our office produces implant-based dentures, artificial noses, ears and eye prostheses. My entire staff and I care for our patients as if they were family, and ours is a place where people are happy to be given hope and a second chance to openly face the world.

Dr. Wagner's Care Philosophy

Our patients are given all treatment options and are never over-treated. Dr. Wagner's main concern is for our patients' satisfaction. Our professional staff aims to meet your every need from maximizing your insurance benefits to assisting you with financing your planned treatment. With an in-house laboratory, Dr. Wagner can directly oversee his technicians on site. Board certified through The American Board of Prosthodontics and achieving a fellowship in the Academy of Prosthodontics, he is currently finishing a textbook on denture making for his publishers. He uses his own revolutionary Wagner Universal ImpressionTrays to make impression-making more comfortable than ever before.

Dr. Wagner says...

Part of the specialty of maxillofacial prosthodontics exceeds the scope of denture fabrication. Dr. Wagner's training is unique to New Mexico, as he provides services that are needed by patients with oral and sinus cancer, unrepaired cleft palates, and those with nerve damage to the soft palate.

On our staff is the remarkable Susan Habakuk trained in clinical medical anaplastology. She fabricates artificial facial parts for patients in need of a nose, ear, eye, or eye with facial tissue that is missing. She works in coordination with Dr. Wagner to service these procedures together.

Dr. Wagner says...

Dr. Wagner's prostheses always look natural. His technique not only provides a beautiful result, but his impression technique, unique to this office, creates a snug fit while the patient's bone is still vital. He always recommends that patients consider implants in the mandible (the lower jaw) as over time the bone diminishes without any root stimulation.  This leads to difficulty wearing the lower denture as the bone thins over time. If too much time passes after tooth extractions, the bone may diminish badly enough that implants won't even be an option. This procedure is done by an oral surgeon outside of our office.

When patients look to Dr. Wagner for help once they have had part of their palate removed due to cancer, they can feel confident that they will be able to speak clearly and eat comfortably by receiving a series of three obturators post surgery.

Patients who have undergone mandibular resections can be treated by Dr. Wagner, the only maxillofacial prosthodontist in NM and most of the southwest capable of restoring the dentition to such patients with implant-based dentures.

Dr. Wagner's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Maxillofacial Prosthodontics
  •  Malpractice claims in New Mexico not available

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for New Mexico.

• Edentulism

MD Anderson Cancer Ctr/U Tex

Completed in 1978

University New Mexico Hlth Scis Ctr

Graduated in 1971

Dr. Wagner does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wagner and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Maxillofacial Prosthodontics