Dr. Mark A. Sutor, DDS

Dr. Sutor's Office

Learn about this Dentist

Get to know Dr. Sutor

Dr. Sutor's Experience

No malpractice history found for Indiana.

• Other Education

• Health Net
    • HealthSmart
    • Medical Mutual of Ohio
    • Sagamore Health Network

*Please verify this information when scheduling an appointment

/* /.overlay-container */}

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Sutor has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Sutor

Dr. Sutor's Review Details
    4.4 based on 41 responses
    Experience with Dr. Sutor
    Dr. Sutor's Office & Staff
      Under 10 minutes (38)
    Dr. Sutor says

We promise to treat you with the highest level of honesty, integrity, timeliness, and professionalism. We are committed to being leaders in dentistry and to offering you the most advanced technology available to optimize your dental health. We appreciate the opportunity to serve your dental health needs and promise to never take that responsibility lightly. You are our guest, our purpose, and our passion.  Thank you!

Bloomington, IN |
    Dr. Sutor is efficient & friendly. He performed 2 quick procedures & the healing process went smoothly. The waiting room is comfortable, while dated (perhaps erring on Trumpish). His dental hygienist Joanna explained things clearly & was down to earth--wish I had her each visit. The office staff however turned a complete 180 once your procedure is over & payment. Upon insurance negotiations (my first time at that extent), they were both demeaning & rude to me & made little effort to save me $
    in Bloomington, IN |
    Dr. Sutor has a great team and everyone is very helpful. Holly is my hygienist and she is very kind and will answer your questions and concerns patiently. She is very professional and pays attention to details. Highly recommended!!
    in Bloomington, IN |
    Hands down, Pam is the best Dental Hygienist that has ever worked on this 68 year old's teeth: Gentle, empathetic, well-paced and thorough.
    in Elnora, IN |
    Was impressed that Dr. Sutor called that evening to check on how I was feeling. Makes you feel like you are more than a number and money in the pocket. Staff did great job too. Very personable and professional. Thanks! :)
    Have you seen Dr. Sutor?

• Non-Surgical Gum Treatment
    • Simple Tooth Extractions
    • Teeth Extraction
    • Upper Dentures

No malpractice history found for Indiana.

Texas A&M University Health Science Center / Baylor College of Dentistry

Graduated in 1988

Veterans Hospital Lexington, KY

Completed in 1989

University of Kentucky / College of Dentistry

Completed in 1991

Indiana University / School of Dentistry

Graduated in 1983

Dr. Sutor has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Sutor has no media or publications listed.

×

Dr. Sutor's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Periodontics
    ×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Sutor

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Sutor's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
    Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
    Staff friendliness and courteousness
    Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Sutor

Level of trust in provider's decisions
    How well provider explains medical condition(s)
    How well provider listens and answers questions
    Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Sutor says...

My name is Mark Sutor. I am a periodontist in Bloomington, IN. I am the youngest of three "Sutor Boys" raised by a single mom in Hickory Hills, IL.

I was the first person in my family to go "away" to college, where I attended Indiana University. An athletic scholarship allowed me to become a four year letterman in football from 1979-1983 at which time I was part of the first team in IU's history to win a post season bowl game (1979 Holiday Bowl). I feel very fortunate to have had that experience so I remain very active with IU education and athletes.

My graduate education lead me to Dallas, TX where I attended Baylor College of Dentistry from 1984-1988. The year that I graduated, 1988, my son Chad was born in the Texas summer heat. I was about to start my general practice residency in Lexington, KY in July, so I moved our few dental school belongings to Lexington with the plan to return for my first child's birth but Chad "decided" to come a little early so I found myself scrambling for a way to fly back to Dallas to witness this great miracle of childbirth, luckily I arrived 30 minutes before his birth! Chad started a food truck business in 2010 called The Big Cheeze and in January 2015 he became the proud father of a new golden retriever puppy named Blue. I had to soon return to Lexington to start my next "phase of post graduate education". The hardest part of that experience was that I had to leave my newborn son in Texas while I began my residency. I spent one year at the VA Hospital in Lexington doing a general practice residency where I got to learn a variety of skills in each aspect of dentistry.

Upon completion of this 1 year residency I then began my 2 year periodontal residency at U.K. School of Dentistry in 1989. My residency was filled with wonderful mentors and role models for my future career as a periodontist. I feel fortunate to have been exposed to so many great educators during that time.

After a lot of research and discussions with my family and friends, I decided to start my practice in Bloomington in 1991. At that time there were no organized continuing education opportunities for dentists in Monroe County and the surrounding counties so I saw an opportunity to provide high quality continuing education and a surgical experience with dental implants that weren't available at that time. I am the President and founder of "Hoosiers for Dental Excellence", which is a study club that emphasizes "advanced education and continued lifelong learning opportunities. It has over 20 members from South Central Indiana. It was the first study club of its kind in the entire state of Indiana when we began in 1998. Now there are over 200 nationwide.

In 1994, I was blessed with my daughter, Jennie. Born in Bloomington on a snowy night in January, she is the only true Hoosier in the family. I was raised with all boys, so having a daughter sure continues to teach me many life lessons. She enrolled at IU in 2012 as a psychology/biology major. She is a true dog lover, and has a beautiful golden retriever named Max.

I cannot imagine anything I could love more than being a periodontist and dental implant surgeon but if dentistry wasn't in my future, I probably would have been a football coach at the high school or college level. Dentistry and coaching both involve helping, teaching, motivating and striving for excellence which are qualities I love to share with the people in my life.

We are so fortunate to be able to treat a wide variety of patients young and old but the patients that stand out in my mind are the ones that value having a healthy, comfortable and esthetically pleasing smile for a lifetime.

I have been lucky to treat a wide variety of patients from all over the world but I still get a warm feeling in my heart when patients tell me how special they feel when they are treated in our office. I loved to hear our patients tell us how wonderful, kind, and caring our entire team is and how professionally they have been treated in all aspects of their visit with us.

One of the funniest moments in my career came when I arrived at my office and started to search for my daily surgical scrubs that I wear each and every day. Well, since my son was playing basketball at the time for Purdue, my staff thought it would be funny to have me wear "black and gold" Purdue scrubs. Well, to a diehard Hoosier fan and alumni, that was like a "stab in my Hoosier heart". We still laugh about that day my entire office wore those Purdue scrubs. By the grace of God, I survived.

One of the greatest compliments I have received in my career was when one of my patients told me that our office was the most professional, up to date caring, well-organized, health care offices she had ever experienced. Coming from a patient that was 85 year old, I considered that a wonderful compliment knowing and respecting the fact that she had many life experiences in which to compare.

I hope that my time and effort as a dental specialist and teacher will be remembered as one that helped people become as good as they can be. Our study club has given our dental professionals educational opportunities like nowhere else. I call it our dental school without walls. I feel fortunate to have been the leader in that educational journey with all of the members. These experiences have enhanced the dental care being delivered in our community and around the state.

In September 2014, I asked Theresa Ricker to marry me, so we are planning to get married in the next 1-2 years. Life takes many twists and turns but I feel very fortunate to have such a loving and caring partner in my life. I truly look forward to spending the rest of my days with her.

So that is my story. We are always accepting new patients and I would be honored if you would allow me the opportunity to be your dental specialist, to improve the quality of your life, for years to come.

Dr. Sutor's Care Philosophy

When choosing a practice for your dental implant and periodontal needs, remember that you deserve to be treated by experienced professionals who are focused on quality patient care and straightforward communication. You should expect a qualified and courteous team that respects your time and makes you a priority. Dental implant surgeon and periodontist Mark A. Sutor has been providing advanced and courteous periodontal care to the greater Bloomington area since 1991. Our staff thoroughly educates all of our patients so that everyone feels prepared and understands all of their treatment options. We pride ourselves on providing excellent care that works within our patients' busy schedules and budgets. We will go to great lengths to provide you with the highest level of care, and our beautifully decorated offices are designed to create a feeling of tranquility. We offer warm eye masks and blankets to all of our patients, as well as complimentary snacks and drinks. We have dedicated consultation rooms, and our treatment rooms have televisions with digital cable and a variety of music choices to help you feel relaxed. We also provide sedation dentistry for patients who experience anxiety when undergoing treatment. We are committed to providing you with the best care available, and take that responsibility very seriously. Our compassionate team offers treatments using the most advanced technology to ensure that our patients achieve excellent dental health. We provide patients with a comprehensive range of periodontal treatments including modern laser dentistry techniques. Our practice focuses on a conservative approach to dental care, and will always recommend the least invasive treatment options possible to meet your needs.

Dr. Sutor says...

Dr. Mark Sutor has been practicing since 1991.  He is a leader in the dental community leading a study club of 25 general dentists and specialists for over 10 years.  He is president of Seattle Study Club (Hoosiers for Dental Excellence) in Bloomington/Indianapolis as well as the Bloomington/Indianapolis Chapter of Spear Dental Study Club.

Dr. Sutor specializes in identifying and treating a variety of oral conditions, gum disease, the placement of dental implants.

Dr. Sutor says...

Dr. Sutor has placed nearly 10,000 implants over the course of his career in dentistry. He was also one of the first specialists in the nation to obtain his certification in LANAP (laser-assisted therapy) to treat periodontal disease.