Dr. Karl Smith, DDS

Dr. Karl Smith, DDS

Periodontics  |

Dr. Karl Smith has been in dental practice for over thirty-four years. He received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1981 and immediately entered General Practice in the US Air Force Dental Corps. He successfully completed three additional years of advanced education in the specialty of Periodontics with additional training in IV Sedation and Dental Implants in 1992, at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio and Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center. He won the John Pritchard Prize for outstanding research which included looking for a vaccine against bacteria that cause periodontal disease. Dr. Smith completed a Master of Business Administration degree with a Certificate in Health Services Management while working full time as a Periodontist. He hails originally from Michigan, but because he grew up in an Air Force family he lived in many different parts of the United States and also spent many years in Canada, Japan and Italy. Dr. Smith settled in Alexandria, VA in 1996 after he retired from the US Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel having completed four years of reserve and fifteen years of meritorious world-wide active duty service in 1996. He worked in a variety of multi-specialty group practices throughout Southern Maryland and Northern Virginia before opening of his own office in the City of Alexandria, Virginia in January of 2003. After opening his Northern Virginia office, Dr. Karl Smith missed working with patients and dentists in Southern Maryland and decided to open a second office in Waldorf, Maryland in the spring of 2005. Both offices are well known for their friendly and well-trained dental professionals and the most modern equipment and facilities. To learn the very best, most current and safe treatment options for his patients, Dr. Smith completes 100+ hours of continuing education and training each year. This allows him to provide the ultimate care and comfort for all types of challenging dental problems. He allows his team to excel by providing them with many hours of advanced education and training. With his encouragement and support, a large number of Dr. Smith's staff members have gone on to become physicians, nurses, dentists and hygienists. In his free time Dr. Smith enjoys traveling nationally and internationally. He is an expert skier and enjoys playing other sports including tennis. Family time with his five children and many grandchildren is very important to him. He follows a number of sports teams including his college team UCLA, as well as the local professional teams the Washington Capitals, Nationals and Redskins. When he was in college, Dr. Smith thought he should be a Dentist, Psychologist, or Meteorologist. He is always happy to predict the weather! Just ask! Dr. Smith's team describes him as a dentist with superpowers! They know that when he speaks with his patients, he does so with a great deal of care and concern, and because he has a genuine desire to improve their lives and smiles! Dr. Smith's colleagues and patients describe him as a gentle, easy-going person, and people travel from many states and countries to experience the comfort and professionalism of his office and patient-oriented staff.

Karl A. Smith, DDS, LLC

2500 N Van Dorn St Ste 128

Alexandria, VA 22302

• CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • DentaQuest
  • Diversified Dental Services
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Guardian
  • MetLife

Learn about Dr. Smith

I believe that all my patients are entitled to the best periodontal care possible, delivered in a clean and comfortable environment.

• Periodontics

• Root Canal
  • Teeth Extraction
  • Teeth Whitening
  • Tooth-Conserving Dentistry

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• University Of California At Los Angeles-Bs Psychology
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1977
  • University Of California, Los Angeles-Dds
    Medical School | Graduated 1981
  • General Practice-Us Air Force Dental Corps
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Periodontics, Iv Sedation and Dental Implants-University Of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio and Wilford Hall Usaf Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1992
  • Keller Graduate School Of Management
    Other Education | Completed 2001

Dr. Smith has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Smith has no media or publications listed.

• Filipino

Dr. Smith does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Smith and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Smith's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Smith to family and friends
Dr. Smith's Performance
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. G is the best! He took time to explain treatment as well as after effects. I just had dental work preformed this morning, and I am doing great. Ate breakfast and going about my day. Success, I would say!
in Alexandria, VA |
100% hands down best periodontist in the DMV and I have been to three. I have had gum grafts placed in 3 areas of my mouth. Each one was with a different office because of moving and also satisfaction with the office. I plan to have the fourth site done with Dr. Smith. The experience of the other two were much different and I had a sore roof of my mouth and when Dr. Smith did the last one, no pain. ZERO!. The staff helps a lot. They are AMAZING!
in Alexandria,VA |
Dr. Smith is the best! I've been a patient for over 5 years and no matter where he's at I go there. The staff is the best, always friendly and patient. He'll be my dentist for life. Highly recommended Doc and his staff (MJ, Katie and Beverly) ...the best.
Thank you Wayne. It is my pleasure to be your dentist. My team loves when you bring pics of the baby. Keep them coming!
in La Plata, MD |
I have recommend Dr. Smith to my two sisters, who are now current patients as well! I have received wonderful care and have always been treated with great respect. Dr. Smith and his staff are professional, knowledgeable, polite and friendly.
Thank you so much for your kind review. We love your family. You and your sisters are amazing women and it is our pleasure to be your dentist!
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Karl Smith is an exceptional dentist and continues to exceed my expectations. His staff is wonderful and the office is always clean and inviting.
Thank you so very much for your review. It is truly appreciated.
?, ? |
I have literally never had a worse experience in my entire life. I made an emergency appointment as a first time patient because I recently moved to the area and had an abscessed tooth. Upon verifying the infection via x-ray by a tech, the doctor refused to consult or speak with me in person and would not even prescribe an antibiotic. This place did NOTHING for me except send me away with a massive infection that landed me in the ER. Stay away from this place, it is a joke, and so is he.
in Waldorf, MD |
I have had growing anxiety over my dental procedures for years. I am so grateful to have finally found Dr. Smith and his talented staff. They have really helped to put me at ease.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Smith is a very honest dentist. I appreciate his forthcoming nature and recommendations of what is a real priority for my treatment. We are working together to address my needs.
Thank you so very much for your review. I appreciate having you as my patient.
in Waldorf. MD |
Dr. Smith is honest and straightforward about his treatment plan and what he will be able to do for you. I value his honesty in his recommendations.
Thank you so much for this review. It is my pleasure to serve your dental needs.- Dr. Smith
in Charlottesville, VA |
Dr. Smith came recommended to me both by my dentist and by several healthcare review sites. I had 2 gum operations at his office. Throughout, from processing in the waiting room, to the procedures to follow-up work, I felt as if he and his staff were both highly competent and explicitly concerned about my physical comfort and understanding about what was transpiring. They have a strong customer service focus, something that can get the short shrift by doctors.
Matt A., It has been my pleasure to serve your needs and I am sincerely thankful for your kind review. Dr. Smith
in Alexandria, VA |
I have been very pleased with the quality of service I receive at Dr. Karl Smith's office. He and his staff are great to work with.
Have you seen Dr. Karl Smith, DDS?

Visit Dr. Smith

Delta Insurance
    Delta Insurance POS
  • DentaQuest
  • Diversified Dental Services
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA