Dr. Dalbert W. Fear Jr., DDS

Dr. Dalbert W. Fear Jr., DDS

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery | Male | 60 years old

75 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

Learn about this dentist

Dr. Fear is no stranger to the dental field: his wife is a general dentist, his brother is an orthodontist, and he is extremely proud that his daughter is following in his footsteps and completing her training in oral and maxillofacial surgery. In addition to his family ties to the Michigan medical community, Dr. Fear believes that it is extremely important to work collaboratively with other medical professionals and train future dentists and oral surgeons in order to help improve the overall quality of dental care offered in this community. Dr. Fear is an active member of the Department of Surgery at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor. He has been the hospital Section Head of Dentistry and Oral Surgery since 1997. Dr. Fear serves as a clinical instructor in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. He has been the president of the Michigan Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Michigan Council of Dental Specialists, and the Washtenaw District Dental Society.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Fear Jr.'s Experience

Visiting Dr. Fear Jr.

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Fear Jr. has admitting privileges.

Dr. Fear Jr.'s Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fear Jr. to family and friends
Dr. Fear Jr.'s Performance
in Ann Arbor MI |
Absolutely the best surgeon ever! Not only did he do my first jaw surgery, he fixed my jaw again. I was in an accident and he did the second one to fix a botched job done in Miami. He is truly the best, I wouldn't let anyone do any work on me if wasn't him.
Saline, mi |
Is very competent and courteous. He puts you in the chair, explains the procedure, gives you a fairly painless anesthetic, waits an appropriate amount of time, and quickly takes out the tooth. You get a strong pain reliever prescription which covers any discomfort that might arise. You are given post operative instructions that are clear and helpful. Someone from the office calls you the next day to make sure you're doing all right. All in all, not bad, if you need a tooth extracted.
Thank you for the wonderful review. We strive to give our patients the best possible outcome and we are happy that you had such a great experience.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Excellent care, no recovery issues.
Thank you for recommending our practice. We appreciate you sharing your great experience. Please tell your friends and family!
in Chelsea, MI |
Dr. Fear was very informative and let know exactly what needed to be done. Very happy with results
It is our pleasure to make your experience as pleasant as possible. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please tell your friends and family!
in Rockwood, MI |
Liked the doctor, friendly, efficient, knowledgeable, so that is the main thing that count's. Because front desk left a little to be desired. Jessica was very short and curt with my Mom when she asked a question. Even cutting her off mid sentence. There is a better way to have a discussion, no need for snottiness.
Ann Arbor, MI |
Our appointment with Dr. Fear was fine but I would not go back to this office because they had my 8 year old daughter waiting for over an hour for her quick 10 min appointment. When I asked why we were waiting so long (maybe the doc had and emergency...totally understandable) I was told that since the other appts would be quicker she had them go before us. We had people seen before us that had appts 45 min after ours was scheduled. Totally unacceptable and for that they lost a patient!
Due to HIPAA laws, we cannot comment on your specific situation online, but please know that patient satisfaction and quality of care are our utmost priorities. If you would please phone our office to further discuss your situation, we can address your concerns directly.
in Hillsdale, MI |
Very efficient, professional and experience which shows in his precise application of his skilled treatments.
We are pleased to hear that your procedure went well. Thank you for the 5-star review! Please tell your friends and family!
in Jackson, MI |
The surgery was very quick. I woke up with no pain. It was a great experience!
It means the world to us that you had a great experience. Thank you for the review! Please tell your friends and family!
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Before the procedure, I think a detailed explanation of what the surgery involves and the possible side effects, pro and con, would have been appreciated. It was never clear to me whether the gas was flowing properly through my mask. I felt no effect. Is there a method to evaluate its application? Would the second follow-up surgery be necessary if the first surgery has been performed thoroughly? Also, I felt that not adequate time elapsed for the numbing injection to be completely effective
in Petersburg |
I am 72 years old and been to a lot of dentist. Dr. Fear is the best I have ever been to. As soon as you talk to him you know that you made the right decision by going to him. I would recommend Dr fear to anyone I know or meet.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Amazing Doc... makes you feel so comfortable and does a great job. However... I have had multiple appointments now and every single time I have waited at least an hour in the waiting room past my appointment time.
Hi Sarah, thank you for choosing us as your oral healthcare practice. Our patients' care is our highest priority and unfortunately situations arise that take more time than anticipated. We always strive for efficiency and would love to discuss this matter further. Please contact our office.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Dr Fear and his staff were absolutely wonderful. My 13 year old son had his wisdom teeth removed and received the best care and outstanding results. They made him feel calm and comfortable and there were no complications. They were also very friendly. I highly recommend Dr. Fear and Team. Thank you!
Thank you for the 5-star review, Tracy! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for choosing us.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
I'm not the bravest person when it comes to going to the Dentist even at my age. But I do have the upmost faith and trust in Dr. Fear Jr., all my procedures have been painless and with 100% plus on the outcome. He's lucky to have such a caring and professional staff at his side, I know I appreciate them.
in Monroe |
He is very thorough. You can tell that he loves his job. He explains things so you can understand what's going on. He's got a great personality.
Ypsilanti, MI |
Dr Fear took great care of my daughter. She had her wisdom teeth out and it went very smoothly. The staff was very friendly. We had a post op question over the weekend and the on call Doctor responded very quickly.
in Milan, MI |
Dr Fear took great care to ensure that I was pain free during the whole event. Great Job.
in MI |
Great staff...friendly and relaxed atmosphere. They provided excellent care/treatment for our son, really helped him work thru his fears and anxieties.
in Morenci, Mich. |
Dr. Fear and his staff were very professional and really put me at ease when I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The surgery was quick and easy with no complications. I highly recommend Dr. Fear.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Dr. Fear is a true professional. This includes his staff and facility. I have 100% trust in him and would not even consider someone else.
in Belleville, MI |
Dr. Fear and all his staff are great! Very kind, thorough, and overall sense of calmness that helps the patient. My son did great having his wisdom teeth out without the IV and only being numbed.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Excellent health care provider.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Very good "bed side manner" and incredibly efficient, quick appointments. Got my wisdom teeth out and both the pre-op and the op were very fast with very little waiting room times.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
The best care ever! Dr. Fear has extracted my wisdom teeth; there were absolutely no complications. The office staff is well trained, kind, and attentive. Recently I had a tooth extracted for an implant, and that too went smoothly. Hopefully no more oral surgery for me, but if need be, I won't see anyone else but Dr. fear.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Very well organized and works with skill and confidece!
in Ann Arbor, MI |
I normally have a difficult time with dental procedures and I would recommend Dr Fear to anyone! My husband and I have both had great experiences under his care!
in Adrian, MI |
I am very nervous about going to dentists. Dr. Fear and his associate made me feel safe. They were friendly, explained everything very well and the procedure was quick and painless. Instructions for after care were delivered in terms easily understood.
in Clinton, MI |
I Had oral surgery done and was quite nervous, but, the assistant made me feel very much at ease and explained enough of what I would have happen that I felt at ease after our discussion. She was very friendly and had a great personality that helped me feel calm. Dr. Fear was also helpful in making me feel at ease as well and before I knew it, my tooth was extracted and I was able to go home . I appreciated the calls from the assistant checking to see how I was doing. Thank you TEAM FEAR Alpha
Ann Arbor, MI |
I was referred to Dr. Fear to have three wisdom teeth extracted. I was very nervous about having this done. Dr. Fear answered all my questions and addressed my concerns in a way that helped me to relax. The procedure went smoothly. I had very little swelling, no bruising, and no pain afterward. Dr. Fear is a truly skilled professional.
He came into my room. Shook my hand, addressed me by my name. He sat down and explained my situation, pointed out my xray and best option was extraction. He did not appeared rushed and waited to answer questions. The procedure was pretty painless. Excellent chair-side (like bedside) manner.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
My 4th visit in the past ten years, and all have gone fine, with no complications. My recovery time from surgery was much faster than I anticipated..
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Having a tooth removed in never a pleasure, particularly during the process, however I would recommend Dr. Fear because he asked enough how do you feel questions to get me through the experience.
in Adrian, MI |
Dr. Fear pulled my tooth and I did not even know it. It was over before I knew it...
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Dr. Fear has removed two of my teeth and I have received two dental implants from him. On each occasion, the procedure was essentially painless. Dr. Fear and his staff did an outstanding job at both explaining what was involved beforehand and in very efficiently performing the procedures. I have been very impressed by Dr. Fear's efficiency and professionalism. I would have no hesitation in recommending him to friends.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
This was my second experience with Dr. Fear over a 15 year period. I found him to be very professional, yet friendly. I was especially impressed by his willingness to answer all my questions.
in JASPER, Michigan |
I would recommend Dr. Fear , he was very good at what he does ,didn't have any problems, he had a great bed side Manor too.
in Jackson, MI |
very satisfied with procedure. He was very professional, friendly, confident and well educated. provided necessary information to patient making me feel secure. Thanks.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
My procedure was done efficiently and with a minimum of discomfort. The healing process has been easy and with no problems
Adrian, MI |
Warm and friendly, spent adequate time going over procedure
in Hudson MI |
Everyone was very nice and professional. Made sure I was comfortable and were a great help with my after care instructions!
in Ann Arbor, MI |
I am very strongly impressed with the excellent professionalism of him and his assistant.
Very good...absolutely no issues
in Onsted, MI |
Everyone in the office was very professional and so nice from the minute I walked in the door till I left. I had an extraction and once I was numb I procedure took less than 5 minutes..
New York, NY |
After a previously bad experience at the dentist I was very apprehensive about having my four wisdom teeth removed. I didn't have to worry at all. Dr Fear and his staff made me feel completely relaxed and were exceptionally friendly and professional throughout my visit. I cannot recommend him highly enough!
in Ypsilanti, MI |
Everyone in the office...professional and friendly, I was in, had the procedure(tooth extraction) complete in less than an hour, very good after care instructions.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
I've had to schedule three separate procedures over the years with Dr. Fear. Each visit was explained in detail to me, I was made comfortable and I had no problem with healing. Staff is very helpful, pleasant and give you their full attention whether on the phone or in person. Office is neat, professional and you can tell folks like working there.
Milan, MI |
Dr. Fear and his staff was wonderful, in and out no wait time. would and have recommended to all friends and Co-workers at UPS.
in Ann Arbor, MI |
Professional, courteous, reassuring by manner alone, direct and to the point, and especially shares my no pain rule...his assistant this time, as in the past, was obviously trained in Dr. Fear's practice principles.
in Tecumseh, MI |
Everyone in the office, from the person I scheduled with, to the staff in the office on the day of my appointment, to Dr. Fear's dental assistant, to Dr. Fear - were friendly and competent. I had no problems after my tooth was extracted. I would recommend the entire team very highly.
in Willis, Mi |
He was very good and a great listener to find out what and how I am with pain and going to dentist. I highly recommend him and the group their.
in Tecumseh, MI |
My experience with Dr. Fear has been excellent.
Have you seen Dr. Dalbert W. Fear Jr., DDS?

Compare Dr. Fear Jr.

Compare this Dentist
View other dentists with similar experience to find the right dentist for you.

Dr. Fear Jr. says...

Dr. Dalbert Fear has been serving the Michigan community with high-quality oral and maxillofacial surgery services for almost 30 years. He began practicing at Michigan Oral Surgeons in 1986 following his residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Michigan Hospital and has since developed a close relationship with this tight-knit community. When Dr. Fear first joined the practice, he had the privilege of working closely with Dr. Timothy Pickens and Dr. Gilbert Small, both of whom were instructors during his education.

Dr. Fear Jr.'s Care Philosophy

Dr. Fear is no stranger to the dental field: his wife is a general dentist, his brother is an orthodontist, and he is extremely proud that his daughter is following in his footsteps and completing her training in oral and maxillofacial surgery. In addition to his family ties to the Michigan medical community, Dr. Fear believes that it is extremely important to work collaboratively with other medical professionals and train future dentists and oral surgeons in order to help improve the overall quality of dental care offered in this community.

Dr. Fear Jr.'s experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• Dentofacial Anomalies