Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD

Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD

Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics  ·
Male
Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD is an orthodontics & dentofacial orthopedics practitioner in Clifton, NJ and has been practicing for 35 years. He graduated from University Of Pennsylvania / School Of Dental Medicine in 1978 and practices orthodontics & dentofacial orthopedics and orthodontics.Read his story

1425 Broad St

Clifton, NJ 07013

Learn about Dr. Raphael

Dr. Raphael's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Raphael "I have been a specialist in orthodontics for nearly 30 great years. My Dad, with whom I practiced for the last years of his career, told me my temperament would be well suited to the profession. He was right. I love it. I attended Bucknell University (BA, 1974), U. of Pennsylvania (DMD, 1978), and Fairleigh-Dickinson (Orthodontics, 1983). While Orthodontics is a lot of fun and providing beautiful smiles to people of all ages is very gratifying, I have learned that there are many more important things about the mouth than just appearance. While most orthodontists look at crooked teeth as "the problem" to be solved, I see crooked teeth as a sign that there is another imbalance within the person owning the teeth. More on that later.... I love learning about new and better ways to help people. It's part of my personal mission to usher this new generation into a healthier lifestyle. So many children are suffering from asthma, allergies, digestive issues, attention problems, obesity, and more...problems that were not nearly as common when I was growing up. Why is that? And what can be done? Answering these questions is the focus of the many hours of continuing education that I take and teach. This year, I have 10 times the required hours of continuing education that the Board requires. . My focus is on the relationship between 1) the shape of the human face, 2) how well we breathe, and 3) how straight the teeth are as a result. I use methods that help all three areas. I teach these principles at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in NYC. I'm involved in the American Association of Orthodontists, the American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, the Passaic County Dental Society (past-President), the NJ Association of Orthodontists (current Vice-president). I'm also a member of some organizations that want to see things change in American health: The American Association for Physiological Medicine and Dentistry (former Board of Directors) and the International Association of Facial Growth Guidance are just two. I do have some fun. I like the arts (theater, music, dance, painting). I have a new upright bass. I play mostly in my basement though...I have a great family. Wacky, but great. At least we laugh at our dysfunctions. My wife, Lisa, owns a great preschool. My kids are now a sailor, a teacher, a fireman, and an entrepreneur. My three dogs mess up the bed and pee in the closet. But, hey, it's a life."

This content was provided by Dr. Raphael "Most people go to an orthodontist to have something done to them - like braces or aligners. I do that, too, but I also help people find ways of feeling and being healthier. That is something that people do for themselves. It might be helping them breathe or sleep or eat or stand better. It might be helping someone overcome habits that harm them long term. I teach people how to avoid and prevent long term problems, too.

The hard part about preventive orthodontics (or medicine, for that matter) is that the patients have to understand and want a result more than they want to be sick. And I know that can be easier said than done. At our Center, we are dedicated to helping our patients achieve what they truly want.

"

2  Practice Areas

• Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
  • Orthodontics

• Breathing-Related Sleep Disorders
  • Malocclusion (Bad Bite)
  • Pediatric Airway Difficulties
  • Pediatric Sleep Disorders
  • Skeletal Dysplasia - Orofacial Anomalies

• Fixed Orthodontic Correction
  • Non-Surgical Orthodontic Procedures
  • Orthodontic Aligners
  • Orthodontic Treatment, Adult
  • Orthodontic Treatment, Early

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Bucknell University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1974
  • University Of Pennsylvania / School Of Dental Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1978
  • Fairleigh Dickinson University / School Of Dentistry
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1983

Dr. Raphael has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Raphael has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Raphael does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Raphael and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Raphael's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Raphael

Dr. Raphael?
Dr. Raphael's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD
Dr Raphael is just not a regular Orthodontist. He is very specialized and focuses more on the Airway alignment than just the teeth alignment. If some one is interested in normalizing the breathing with avoiding adenoid surgery. I would highly recommend Dr Raphael. He would fix the issue with out...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD?
Dr Barry practices the cutting edge orthodontics in a kid friendly environment. Focusing on proper development and proper breathing rather than forcing the jaw into shape. We have had great results without having to resort to braces. I recommend Dr. Barry highly. Good music too.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD?
Dr Barry was highly recommended to us by a number of friends. He didn't disappoint. I didn't even bother with the second opinion I had scheduled. Dr Barry is not simply an expert, medical practitioner, but rather a man on a quest. He wants to heal people's habits, help them integrate into their...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Barry Raphael, DMD?

How was your experience with Dr. Raphael?