Learn more about Counseling Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A counselor provides support and guidance to individuals, couples, families, and groups. Counselors work in a variety of settings to help people work through or overcome their personal, social and psychological challenges. A counselor who offers primarily mental and behavioral health counseling may be known as a mental health counselor or therapist. Guidance counselors help people with their educational and career goals.
The practice of counseling varies depending on the counselor’s specialty, setting and patient. In general, a counselor may:
- Provide individual, group, family, and couples/marriage counseling
- Provide school and career planning guidance
- Advocate for patients and certain populations, such as abused women, children, and the disabled, to help them overcome institutional and social barriers
- Perform risk assessments and personality tests
- Evaluate and develop counseling plans for their patients, re-evaluating and modifying these plans as needed
- Provide coping skills and therapeutic techniques to patients, such as breathing techniques, talk therapy, and the use of visual imagery
- Collaborate, refer, and consult with other professionals, such as teachers, psychologists, social workers, and psychiatrists
- Involuntarily commits patients in emergency situations
Many different types of healthcare professionals can practice counseling, including licensed counselors, social workers, marriage and family therapists, and psychologists. Counselors may also be known by the following names: therapist, psychotherapist, psychoanalyst, and guidance counselor.
There are 1169 specialists practicing Counseling in Lincoln, RI with an overall average rating of 4.0 stars. There are 9 hospitals near Lincoln, RI with affiliated Counseling specialists, including Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, Rhode Island Hospital and Kent Hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Counseling Specialist in Lincoln, RI?
How can I find a Lincoln, RI Counseling Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Counseling Specialist in Lincoln, RI?
How can I book an appointment online with a Counseling Specialist in Lincoln, RI?
How can I find a Lincoln, RI Counseling Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Counseling Specialist in Lincoln, RI?