If You are accessing, using or browsing this Site on behalf of an individual other than Yourself, which may be either a natural person or entity other than Yourself:
- You represent, warrant and covenant that You are at least age 18:
- You represent, warrant and covenant that You are authorized to engage in the activities that You conduct within the Site on behalf of that person or entity other than Yourself, which by way of illustration but not limitation includes the submission and receipt of any and all Personal Information on behalf of that person or entity other than Yourself;
- You agree that We can rely on Your representation that You are authorized to engage in the activities that You conduct within the Site on behalf of that natural person or entity other than Yourself; and
What Personal Information does Healthgrades collect?
Healthgrades collects several types of Personal Information. For example, to use some of its services and access certain areas of the Site, You must provide Personal Information that can be traced back to You, such as full name, street address and zip code, telephone number, e-mail, gender, date of birth, insurance coverage, social history and known health characteristics and medical needs. We collect this Personal Information that You voluntarily provide through the use of on-line data entry, survey, product purchase and registration forms. Healthgrades gathers most of this Personal Information from You during an initial voluntary User registration process for the Site. Healthgrades also occasionally asks You for Personal Information at other times, including when You complete optional survey forms, fill out optional contact forms for additional information on particular products and services or use a particular service.
When You visit the Site, Healthgrades may also automatically serve and collect data via or from Cookies and similar data collection technologies. A “Cookie” is a text file that a website sends to a visitor’s browser and is stored on Your computer, mobile phone, tablet, or other connected device (collectively, “Computer”). Cookies can store information about Your visit to and use of Our Site or other websites, can make that information available to Us or third parties, and can help Us offer You functionalities on Our Sites.
What about the collection of Personal Information from children?
Healthgrades Sites are general audience sites intended for users 18 years of age and older. We do not knowingly collect personal information from persons under age of 18.
How does Healthgrades use the Personal Information we collect?
Healthgrades may use the Personal Information we obtain to:
- Provide products and services you request.
- Advertise our and our affiliates’ and customers’ products and services.
- Communicate with you about new information or features available through the Site or that Healthgrades otherwise feels might be of interest to users of the Site.
- Allow Healthgrades and our third-party advertisers and retailers and their affiliates to communicate with you to deliver relevant information or offers.
- Operate, maintain, and improve the Site.
- Make improvements to the Site to provide our users with a more personalized, relevant and intelligent service.
- Identify the interests and needs of the users of our Site.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products, services, websites and apps; ensuring the security of our networks and information systems; performing accounting, auditing, invoicing, reconciliation and collection activities; and improving and maintaining the quality of our customer service operations).
- Perform data analyses (including market and consumer search and analytics, trend analysis and profiling, financial analysis and de-identification of personal information).
- Provide customer support and respond to and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments.
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activity, claims and other liabilities.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies.
- Establish, exercise and defend legal claims.
- Monitor and report compliance issues.
- For systems administration and troubleshooting purposes for the Site.
- To report aggregate information to Our advertisers and others.
In addition, we use clickstream data (data regarding usage of the Site, whether identifiable to users or de-identified) to determine usage patterns and how we may tailor our websites and apps to better meet the needs of our users.
What should You know about Cookies?
Kinds of Cookies We Use
Our Site may use the following types of Cookies:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These are Cookies we use to provide the Site and its services and features, as well as to prevent fraudulent activity, improve security, and for system administration. Without these necessary Cookies, We may not be able to provide the Site or certain services or features to You.
- Performance Cookies: These Cookies collect information about Your use of the Site and enable Us to track Site usage and traffic patterns, assess the performance of the Site, and improve the way it works. For example, they may show Us frequently visited pages, help Us record any difficulties You have with the Site, show Us whether Our advertising is effective, and help Us estimate the Site’s audience size.
1. Options for Managing Cookies:
Although most web browsers are initially set up to accept Cookies, if You prefer, You may decline the placement of a Cookie on Your hard drive by using the appropriate feature(s) of Your web browser software (if available) to delete the Cookie. Use your browser’s “Help” function for more information. You can also learn more about Cookies at http://allaboutcookies.org/. Please understand that certain areas within this Site may not function properly if the web browser will not accept Cookies.
You can also use Healthgrades’ cookie preference management tool to manage Your cookie preferences for the https://www.healthgrades.com website. To use this tool, click here: Privacy Preferences Center.
2. Choices Relating to Interest-Based Advertising related to Cookies
Some of the advertising networks and other vendors We work with may offer You with the opportunity to “opt-out” from interest-based advertising. To exercise this opt-out, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ and https://optout.networkadvertising.org/. Please note that opting out through these mechanisms does not mean You will no longer be served advertising. You will still receive online advertising, but it may not be tailored to your interests, and the websites You visit may still collect information about Your visits.
The Healthgrades’ cookie preference management tool helps you manage whether Cookies on the https://www.healthgrades.com website share information about your visit with third parties, including network advertisers. To use this tool, click here: Privacy Preferences Center.
Does Healthgrades disclose Your Personal Information to third parties?
- With respect to obtaining certain products and/or services from this Site, Healthgrades may disclose to a third party Your Personal Information that We gather from You during an initial voluntary User registration process for the Site ("Registration Information"); as a result, You do not have to enter Your Registration Information more than once. Healthgrades may also disclose Your Registration Information to certain third parties in connection with various programs and tools created and administered by third parties that are included in the Site as an additional service to users. The use of Your Registration Information by these Third Party Programs is described below in the "What about information You enter into Third Party Programs included in the Site?" section.
- We may provide Your Registration Information to Our marketing partners with whom You have explicitly authorized Us to share this information, and whose offers You have elected to receive via electronic delivery, telemarketing and direct mail. Additionally, We may employ other third parties to perform services or functions on Our behalf in order to improve Our Site, merchandising, marketing and promotional efforts, communications or other services, or to facilitate e-commerce transactions, including processing orders placed by credit card. Those third parties may include authorized contractors, consultants and other companies working with Us (collectively, "Agents"). These Agents only have access to Your Personal Information as needed to perform their functions, and they may not use any of Your Personal Information for any other purpose than providing or improving Healthgrades' services and offerings.
- Healthgrades also reserves the right to share or transfer Your Registration Information or other Personal Information as We determine in Our sole discretion to be necessary or appropriate in the following circumstances: to comply with a legal requirement; to enforce Our terms and conditions; to protect Our operations or those of any affiliate of Healthgrades; to protect Our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of any affiliate of Healthgrades, You or others; to disclose any activities or information about You to law enforcement or other government officials, including public or government authorities outside Your country of residence; in connection with an investigation of fraud, for the administration of justice, intellectual property infringements or other activity that is illegal or may expose Us or You to legal liability; in cooperation with various law enforcement inquiries; to allow Us to pursue available remedies or limit Our damages; and/or in emergency situations.
- Healthgrades discloses Personal Information to third parties or advertisers in aggregate form, that is, in a manner that cannot be traced back to You. For example, Healthgrades might tell an advertiser how many males between 20 and 30 years in age have visited the Site over a period of time.
How does Healthgrades use and disclose Your Protected Health Information?
In certain contexts, Healthgrades' use and disclosure of Your Protected Health Information is governed by HIPAA.
When You use the Appointment Services to request an appointment with a selected Healthcare Provider, all Protected Health Information that You submit with the Appointment Materials or created from Your use of the Appointment Services is used and disclosed by Healthgrades as a Business Associate (as defined by HIPAA) according to the terms of a Business Associate Agreement between Us and that Healthcare Provider. This means that Healthgrades may only use and disclose Your Protected Health Information on behalf of, or to provide services to, the Healthcare Provider for the appointment scheduling services available through the Appointment Services according to the terms of the Business Associate Agreement. There are exceptions to this use and disclosure rule, including that Healthgrades may use and disclose Your Protected Health Information (i) for its internal management and administration; (ii) to carry out its legal responsibilities; and (iii) to perform certain data aggregation services for the Healthcare Provider and other Healthcare Providers; provided that, any disclosures for Our internal management and administration or to carry out Our legal responsibilities are either required by law or made after Healthgrades obtains reasonable assurances from the person to whom the Protected Health Information is disclosed that it will be held confidentially and used or further disclosed only as required by law or for the purpose for which it was disclosed to that person.
Some of the appointment scheduling services available through the Appointment Services for a particular Healthcare Provider may be provided by subcontractors of Healthgrades. The Subcontractor must comply with the same terms and conditions for the Protected Health Information that apply to Healthgrades as a Business Associate of the Healthcare Provider.
What does Healthgrades do to keep Your Personal Information and Protected Health Information Secure?
On this Site and within Healthgrades, We seek to use appropriate administrative, technical and physical security measures that are designed to reasonably safeguard Your Personal Information and Protected Health Information under Our control.
Please be advised, however, that although Healthgrades has endeavored to create a secure and reliable Site for its users, the confidentiality and security of any communication or material transmitted to or from Healthgrades via this Site or e-mail cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure at any time. When disclosing any Personal Information or Protected Health Information, You should remain mindful of the fact that it is potentially accessible to the public, and consequently, can be collected and used by others without Your consent. Accordingly, You should consider carefully if You want to submit sensitive information that You would not want disclosed to the public and should recognize that Your use of the Internet and this Site is solely at Your risk. You, alone, are ultimately responsible for maintaining the secrecy for all Your Personal Information including Your Protected Health Information. Healthgrades has no responsibility or liability to anyone for the security of Your Protected Health Information or any of Your Personal Information transmitted via the Internet. Healthgrades urges all of its users to be careful and responsible whenever they are on-line.
If You have any reason to believe that Your interaction with Healthgrades through this Site is no longer secure, please immediately notify Us of this problem as described in the "Further questions or comments?" section below.
What should You know about external web sites?
What Choices Do I Have Concerning the Use of Personal Information?
You may opt-out:
- From all future use and disclosure of Your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes by requesting the removal of Your Personal Information from Healthgrades' database as described in the "Do You have the ability to access, change or remove Your Personal Information?" section below; or
- From receiving future marketing-related e-mails from Healthgrades by clicking on the "opt-out" link in any e-mail sent to You by Healthgrades.
Please note that if You opt-out as described above, Healthgrades will not be able to remove Your Personal Information from the databases of Our affiliates or unaffiliated third parties with whom We have already shared Your Personal Information as of the date of Your opt-out request. Please also note that if You do opt-out of receiving marketing-related messages from Us, Healthgrades may still send administrative messages to You.
Do You have the ability to access, change or remove Your Personal Information?
At any time, You may contact Healthgrades via e-mail to request:
- A summary of any of Your Personal Information retained by Healthgrades;
- A change to the Your Personal Information maintained by Healthgrades; or
- Removal of Your Personal Information from Healthgrades' database.
You should send Your request to ConsumerPrivacy@healthgrades.com. In the event Healthgrades receives such a request, Healthgrades may require You to confirm or verify any change to Your Personal Information.
Can You opt-out of Healthgrades' use and disclosure of Your Protected Health Information or access, change or remove Your Protected Health Information?
When You use the Appointment Services, You may receive various administrative e-mails automatically sent by Healthgrades. You cannot opt-out from receiving any administrative e-mail sent by Healthgrades.
Healthgrades treats as Protected Health Information all personally identifying information that You submit with the Appointment Materials to request an appointment with a selected Healthcare Provider and that Healthgrades or a Subcontractor creates from Your use of the Appointment Services. As described in the "How does Healthgrades use and disclose Your Protected Health Information?” section above, Protected Health Information is used and disclosed by Healthgrades according to the terms of its Business Associate Agreement with Your selected Healthcare Provider. To comply with HIPAA, Your Healthcare Provider must provide You with rights in certain circumstances with respect to Your Protected Health Information, regardless of whether Your requested appointment is scheduled or Your scheduled appointment is fulfilled. Very generally described, these rights include a right to restrict the uses and disclosures of, a right of access to, a right to amend and a right to receive an accounting of the disclosures of Your Protected Health Information. These limited rights will be described in detail in the Healthcare Provider's notice of privacy practices. If You wish to restrict the uses and disclosures of Your Protected Health Information, amend, or receive an accounting of the disclosures of Your Protected Health Information, then You must do so through Your Healthcare Provider. Upon termination of Our Business Associate Agreement with a particular Healthcare Provider, Healthgrades generally must return or destroy all Protected Health Information received on behalf of or created for that particular Healthcare Provider and then maintained in any form by Healthgrades or a Subcontractor. This means that until the Business Associate Agreement is terminated with that Healthcare Provider, Healthgrades or a Subcontractor can use and disclose Your Protected Health Information as described in the "How does Healthgrades use and disclose Your Protected Health Information?" section above following the termination of:
- any Appointment ID Number, which You received upon completion of the OAS scheduling process for the Healthcare Provider;
- Your account with the Healthcare Provider; the Healthgrades' Limited License and User Agreement; and/or
How to distinguish between Advertisements and Editorial Content?
Healthgrades believes that it is important for You to easily differentiate between advertising and independent, editorial content on the Site; thus, Healthgrades has developed an Advertising Policy that explains Healthgrades' approach to ensure that the advertising You see on the Site has no influence on the quality, accuracy or selection of editorial content that Healthgrades provides Healthgrades clearly identifies all advertising on the Site. When Healthgrades speaks of "advertising" or "advertisements," it refers to all forms of advertising, sponsorships and promotions for which Healthgrades receives compensation. Healthgrades has established guidelines on how it labels advertising so that You will know what is an advertisement and what is editorial content. Healthgrades uses clear and consistent language and visual cues or descriptors to distinguish advertising from editorial content.
- The phrases "Provided By" and "Sponsored By" are used to identify content that is created or influenced by an advertiser. Healthgrades identifies advertiser-influenced content as "Provided By" or "Sponsored By" advertising so that You can distinguish such content from editorially independent content for which Healthgrades has sole editorial control. You can recognize advertiser-influenced content on the Site by use of the "Provided By" or "Sponsored By" label and the name of the advertiser that appears in the sponsored content.
What about information You enter into Third Party Programs included in Healthgrades' Site?
California Privacy Practices
If you are a California resident, click here for more information about our privacy practices and your rights under California law.
Further questions or comments?
PRIVACY NOTICE – CALIFORNIA-SPECIFIC ADDENDUM
California Personal Information We Collect
We have collected the following categories of California Personal Information within the last 12 months:
|Identifiers||Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name or other similar identifiers.|
|Information under the California Customer Records statute||Personal information described in subdivision (e) of Section 1798.80 (California Customer Records statute). This means any information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is capable of being associated with, a particular individual, including, but not limited to, name, signature, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, driver’s license or state identification card number, education, employment, employment history, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.|
|Characteristics of Protected classifications under California or federal law||Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as demographic information (such as age, sex, medical conditions, and marital status).|
|Commercial information||Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement, browser type, domain names, access times, and referring website addresses.|
|Geolocation data||Geolocation data.|
|Sensory data||Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.|
|Professional or employment-related information||Current or past job history or performance evaluations and education level.|
|Non-public education information (per applicable law)||Education level.|
|Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this subdivision to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.|
Sale and Disclosure of California Personal Information
We have disclosed the following categories of Personal Information to other businesses or third parties for monetary or other valuable consideration within the twelve (12) months preceding the effective date of this Privacy Notice:
Identifiers, Characteristics of Protected Classifications, and Inferences. Names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, demographic data such as age and gender, and psychographic profile information such as interest in sports or technology. We share this information with certain healthcare provider customers to assist with marketing campaigns those customers conduct with our Healthgrades Hospital Products. These providers may only use this information as part of the services we provide to them.
Identifiers and Inferences. Pseudonymous identifiers for individuals who visit our websites and mobile apps and the devices such individuals use to visit our websites and mobile apps, data relating to usage of our websites and apps and inferences drawn from such usage data, and data acquired from third party marketing and digital advertising providers. We share this information with third party vendors that provide consumer behavioral analytics, social media, and digital advertising services to Healthgrades, and where applicable these vendors may use the information for their own purposes.
We do not disclose personal information of individuals we know to be under the age of 16 to business or third parties for monetary or other valuable consideration as a “sale” under California law, without affirmative authorization.
Use of California Personal Information
- Audits and reporting relating to particular transactions and interactions, including online interactions, you may have with us or others on our behalf;
- Detecting and protecting against security incidents, and malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting the same;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors in our systems;
- Short-term, transient use including contextual customization of ads;
- Providing services on our behalf or on behalf of another, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, fulfilling transactions, verifying identity information, processing payments, and other services. This includes:
- Delivering the services you have requested;
- Informing you of other products or services available from Healthgrades and its affiliates;
- Contacting you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current services or of potential new services that may be offered;
- Delivering customized content and advertising;
- Conducting internal research to develop and demonstrate technology; and
- Conducting activity to verify, enhance, and maintain the quality or safety of services or devices which we may own, control, or provide.
We may also use the information we collect for our own or our service providers’ other operational purposes, purposes for which we provide you additional notice, or for purposes compatible with the context in which the California Personal Information was collected.
Your California Rights
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights related to your California Personal Information. You may exercise these rights free of charge except as otherwise permitted under applicable law.
Right to Access/Know. You may request that we disclose to you:
- the categories of California Personal Information we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which the California Personal Information is collected;
- our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling California Personal Information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we share California Personal Information; and
- the specific pieces of information we have collected about you.
- To the extent that we sell your California Personal Information within the meaning of the California Consumer Privacy Act or disclose such information for a business purpose, you may request that we disclose to you:
- the categories of California Personal Information that we have collected about you
- the categories of California Personal Information about you that we have sold within the meaning of the California Consumer Privacy Act and the categories of third parties to whom the California Personal Information was sold, by category or categories of personal information for each third party to whom the California personal information was sold; and
- the categories of California Personal Information about you that we disclosed for a business purpose.
- To submit an opt-out request, click here: “Do Not Sell My Personal Information”
- To opt-out from the sale of personal information for valuable consideration to analytics, social media, and advertising partners, please visit our Privacy Preferences Center.
Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete California Personal Information about you which we have collected from you.
Right to Opt-Out and Right to Opt-In. You have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time (the “right to opt-out”).
You may request to exercise these rights by:
- Calling us toll-free at 800-332-2631, option 7
- By completing our rights request form available here
Residents of the State of California may also request a list of all third parties to whom we have disclosed certain personal information (as defined by California law) during the preceding year for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like such a list, please contact us via the Contact section provided below.
As required under applicable law, please note that we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to information or acting on your request to exercise your rights. We may require you to provide name, physical address, email address, contact information, and other information about your account or previous transactions with us to verify your identity in response to exercising requests of the above type. We may limit our response to your exercise of the above rights as permitted under applicable law.
Subject to applicable law, we may not discriminate against you because of your exercise of any of the above rights, or any other rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act, including by:
- Denying you goods or services;
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties;
- Providing you a different level or quality of goods or services; or
- Suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Agent Authorization and Disability Access
Under California law, you may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. You may make such a designation by providing the agent with written permission to act on your behalf. As permitted by law, we may require verification of the agent’s authorization or require you to verify your own identity in response to a request even if you choose to use an agent.
If you use assistive technology and the format of this Privacy Notice interferes with your ability to access information, please contact us at ConsumerPrivacy@healthgrades.com.
You may contact us with questions or concerns about our privacy policies or practices at:
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc.
1801 California St, STE 800
Denver, CO 80202
Email address: email@example.com
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.