Healthgrades Online Appointment Scheduling Authorization
Healthgrades Online Appointment Scheduling HIPAA Authorization
Healthgrades offers certain services in order to facilitate the booking of appointments with healthcare providers (“Appointment Service”). As part of the Service, Healthgrades collects, uses, shares, and exchanges your health history forms and other health-related information with your selected provider. Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended (“HIPAA”), some of this information may be considered “protected health information” or “PHI” if such information is received on behalf of your selected provider.
Protection of PHI
HIPAA protects the privacy and security of PHI by limiting use and disclosure of PHI by most healthcare providers (who are “Covered Entities” as defined under HIPAA) as well as companies, like Healthgrades, that provide certain types of services to Covered Entities as their “Business Associate” (as defined under HIPAA).
Information Not Subject to HIPAA
The purpose of this patient authorization (“Authorization”) is for you to give your written permission to allow Healthgrades to use and disclose your PHI in the same way as we use and disclose your Non-PHI. Even if Healthgrades is acting as a Business Associate on behalf of your selected provider, Healthgrades needs your Authorization to be able to use and disclose your PHI in the same way it can currently use and disclose your Non-PHI when it is not working as a Business Associate of your provider, but is instead working on its own behalf. Therefore, when Healthgrades relies on your informed consent as agreed in this Authorization, and uses and discloses PHI as described in this Authorization, it is not working as a Business Associate and the HIPAA requirements that apply to Business Associates will not apply to such uses and disclosures.
Specifically, you agree that Healthgrades may use your PHI to:
- enable and customize your use of the Healthgrades services, including the Service;
- provide you alerts or other Healthgrades services regarding your current or future appointments;
- notify you regarding providers we think you may be interested in learning more about;
- share information with you regarding services, products or resources about which we think you may be interested in learning more;
- provide you with updates and information about Healthgrades services, including the Service;
- market to you about Healthgrades and third party products and services;
- conduct analysis for Healthgrades’ business purposes;
- support development of the Healthgrades services, including the Service; and create de-identified information and then use and disclose this information in any way permitted by law, including to third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts;
You also agree that Healthgrades can disclose your PHI to:
- third parties assisting Healthgrades with any of the uses described above;
- Your healthcare providers to enable them to refer you to, and make appointments with, other providers on your behalf, or to perform an analysis on potential health issues or treatments, provided that you choose to use the applicable Healthgrades Service;
- a third party as part of a potential merger, sale or acquisition of Healthgrades;
- our business partners who assist us by performing core services (such as hosting, billing, fulfillment, or data storage and security) related to the operation or provision of our services, even when Healthgrades is no longer working on behalf of your healthcare providers;
- a provider of medical services, in the event of an emergency; and organizations that collect, aggregate and organize your information so they can make it more easily accessible to your providers.
If Healthgrades discloses your PHI, it will require that the person or entity receiving your PHI agrees to only use and disclose your PHI to carry out its specific business obligations for Healthgrades. However, Healthgrades cannot guarantee that any such person or entity to will not re-disclose it in ways that you or we did not intend or permit.
Expiration and Revocation of Authorization
Your Authorization remains in effect until you provide written notice of revocation to Healthgrades.
YOU MAY REVOKE THIS AUTHORIZATION AT ANY TIME AND FOR ANY (OR NO) REASON.
If you wish to revoke this Authorization, you may: (a) if You are a registered user of healthgrades.com, revoke Your authorization within your account settings page; or (b) if You are not a registered user of healthgrades.com notify Healthgrades by submitting a revocation request to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your revocation, please provide the email address you used for the purpose of the Service. Requests for revocation will take effect within upon Healthgrades’ receipt of your revocation. Your decision not to execute this Authorization or to revoke it at any time may affect your ability to use the Appointment Service, but will not affect your ability to use other Healthgrades services. A revocation of Authorization is effective when Healthgrades receives it, but it does not have any effect on actions taken in reliance on the Authorization before your revocation is processed.