What is indigestion? Indigestion is a condition medically known as dyspepsia. This condition causes discomfort in the upper abdomen, resulting in belching, bloating and nausea. Indigestion most often occurs during or right after eating and is a very common digestive problem, often mistaken for heartburn. Most commonly, people suffer indigestion from overeating, drinking alcohol while eating, or eating greasy, fried or spicy foods. Symptoms of indigestion vary in intensity among individuals. Some people experience only mild symptoms, such as uncomfortable fullness and belching after a meal, while others may experience abdominal bloating, a burning feeling in the abdomen, and pain. Episodes of indigestion may subside quickly and can recur frequently, even daily. Among patients seeking medical care for indigestion symptoms, an underlying cause is discovered in only 25%. The remaining 75% are considered to have functional dyspepsia. Fortunately, indigestion can be treated with medications. More importantly, you can reduce your risk of indigestion by avoiding overly spicy, greasy or fried foods, not overeating, and aiding digestion by eating at least two hours before bedtime to avoid lying down right after your meal. Seek prompt medical care if you are being treated for indigestion but symptoms worsen, recur, or are persistent.