A clinical cardiac electrophysiologist is a cardiologist who specializes in diagnosing and treating abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias) using cardiac imaging, electrophysiology studies, and procedures like cardioversion. Cardiac electrophysiologists care for people with serious and life-threatening arrhythmias, including atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia. They are also highly skilled in preventive care to reduce the risk of arrhythmias and associated complications.
A cardiac electrophysiologist typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and teaches the patient about arrhythmias, general heart health, and heart disease prevention
- Performs a physical exam including evaluation of blood pressure and vital signs, weight, and the health of the heart, lungs, and blood vessels
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Diagnoses and treats arrhythmias as well as acute and chronic diseases and conditions that affect the heart and blood vessels including coronary artery disease and angina
- Screens, treats and monitors conditions known to increase the risk of arrhythmias and heart disease, such as hypertension, smoking, and high cholesterol
- Performs procedures including pacemaker insertion and defibrillator implant
- Works closely with your primary care doctor and other members of your healthcare team to provide optimal care
A clinical cardiac electrophysiologist may also be known by the following names: cardiac electrophysiologist, heart arrhythmia doctor, heart rhythm doctor, cardiologist, and heart doctor.
There are 11 specialists practicing Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology in Hollywood, FL with an overall average rating of 4.6 stars. There are 16 hospitals near Hollywood, FL with affiliated Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology specialists, including Memorial Regional Hospital, Memorial Hospital West and Aventura Hospital & Medical Center.