Learn more about Cardiology Specialists and how to choose the right one for you
A cardiologist specializes in caring for people with conditions and diseases of the heart and blood vessels. Cardiologists diagnose and treat many diseases, including coronary heart disease, angina, arrhythmias, heart attack, and heart failure. These heart doctors are also experts in the prevention of heart disease.
A cardiologist typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and educates the patient about heart health and heart disease prevention
- Performs a physical exam including evaluating blood pressure, vital signs, weight, and the health of the heart, lungs, and blood vessels
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Diagnoses and treats acute and chronic diseases and conditions that affect the heart and blood vessels including coronary heart disease, angina, arrhythmias, heart attack, and heart failure
- Screens, treats, and monitors conditions known to increase the risk of heart disease, such as hypertension, smoking, and high cholesterol. For some complex risks, such as having diabetes, a cardiologist will provide referrals to other specialists such as an endocrinologist.
- Performs procedures, such as EKG, echocardiogram, and cardiac catheterization
- Works closely with your primary care doctor and other specialists and members of your healthcare team to provide optimal care
Cardiologists may also be known by the following names: cardiac doctor, cardiovascular disease doctor, heart specialist and heart doctor.
There are 433 specialists practicing Cardiology in Bethesda, MD with an overall average rating of 4.4 stars. There are 76 hospitals near Bethesda, MD with affiliated Cardiology specialists, including Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Suburban Hospital and Holy Cross Hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a same-day appointment with a Cardiology Specialist in Bethesda, MD?
How can I find a Bethesda, MD Cardiology Specialist who takes my insurance?
How can I find a female Cardiology Specialist in Bethesda, MD?
How can I book an appointment online with a Cardiology Specialist in Bethesda, MD?
How can I find a Bethesda, MD Cardiology Specialist who sees patients after hours?
How can I find a top-rated Cardiology Specialist in Bethesda, MD?