Healthgrades Announces Leading Hospitals In Early Covid Care Marking The Two-Year Anniversary Of Covid-19 Pandemic
The list honors hospitals around the country that provided exceptional care to patients and their communities while managing an influx in COVID-19 cases during the first months of the pandemic.
Denver, CO – March 2, 2022 – Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians, and health systems, today published the Leading Hospitals in Early COVID Care list to acknowledge 24 U.S. hospitals that provided best-in-class COVID-19 care to their patients and community during the first wave of the pandemic. These stand-out hospitals provided exceptional care while treating the highest volumes of coronavirus patients.*
The list recognizes the following hospitals:
- AdventHealth Orlando in Orlando, FL
- Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center in Oak Lawn, IL
- Ascension Providence Hospital, Southfield Campus in Southfield, MI
- Baptist Hospital of Miami, Miami, FL
- Baptist Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
- Baton Rouge General, Mid-City, Baton Rouge, LA
- Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI
- Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
- Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
- Lakeland Regional Medical Center, Lakeland, FL
- Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital in Houston, TX
- Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, TX
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York, NY
- North Shore Medical Center, Miami, FL
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville, GA
- NYU Langone Health Tisch Hospital in New York, NY
- Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans, LA
- Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando, FL
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, LA
- St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, FL
- Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook, NY
- Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA
- Yale New Haven Hospital in New Haven, CT
In the midst of uncertainty, these hospitals acted quickly to deploy strategies to support staff and provided top-notch care for their patients and community. Hospitals across the U.S. went above and beyond in providing care during the first wave of the pandemic. Although they all played a vital role in their respective communities, hospitals outside of the Northeast and South did not see the same high volume of patients as the hospitals that made the list.
“For over 20 years, Healthgrades has provided consumers with the answers they need to choose the best care for their family’s health,” said Burt Kann, EVP and Head of Product at Healthgrades. “We salute the many hospitals and healthcare providers who have stepped up during the pandemic, and celebrate this list of standout hospitals, who not only saw the largest influx of patients, but also excelled during one of the toughest times our nation has seen.”
Leaders of hospitals featured on the list also shared their perspectives on what they are most proud of regarding their team’s COVID-19 response, strategies deployed to successfully deliver care, and how they were able to best support doctors and nursing staff during challenging times.
“Our clinical teams deserve an incredible amount of appreciation for the fortitude they displayed throughout the pandemic response,” said George Ralls, MD, Senior Vice-President and Chief Medical Officer of Orlando Regional Medical Center. “Their dedication and commitment to delivering outstanding care to patients and support to family members and loved ones remained steadfast.”
Learn more about how Healthgrades helps Americans find the highest quality healthcare.
*To identify Leading Hospitals in Early COVID Care, Healthgrades used inpatient data from CMS for almost every hospital in the country, with the exception of military and Veterans Administration hospitals. To identify patients being treated for COVID-19, the following ICD-10 codes in any diagnosis code position were used: U07.1, B97.29, and B 34.2. The hospitals on the list treated more than 750 COVID patients January - September 2020, and achieved a below-average mortality rate of less than 24.6%. Since the first COVID-19 outbreaks were highly concentrated in the Northeast and South, hospitals in other parts of the country saw comparatively lower patient volumes. This does not diminish the outstanding work they exhibited since the start of the pandemic.
# # #
Healthgrades is dedicated to empowering stronger and more meaningful connections between patients and their healthcare providers. As the #1 platform for finding a doctor and a leader in healthcare transparency, we help millions of consumers each month find and schedule appointments with their provider of choice and prepare for their appointments with best-in-class, treatment-focused content.
Our health system, provider, and life sciences marketing solutions have been helping our partners reach and engage consumers who are on their way to the doctor for over 20 years.
Healthgrades is part of RV Health, a Red Ventures business, which has the largest consumer health and wellness audience online across its brand portfolio including Healthline, Healthgrades, Medical News Today, Greatist, Psych Central, Bezzy and Platejoy. Each month, RV Health helps more than 100 million unique visitors live their strongest and healthiest lives.
Start your search for the right care at healthgrades.com or learn more about our health system solutions at healthgrades.com/partners.