At Your Appointment
What to Ask About Knee Osteoarthritis
What is a synovial biopsy?
A synovial biopsy is a minimally invasive procedure that helps diagnose joint problems. This includes inflammatory conditions, infections, arthritis, cancer, and autoimmune disorders. Your doctor uses either a needle or an arthroscope to remove a sample of joint tissue. An arthroscope has a tiny camera that allows your doctor to view the inside of a joint. Your doctor will send the joint tissue sample to a lab for testing.
Synovial biopsy is a minor procedure, but it involves some risk and potential complications. You may have less invasive diagnostic options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your diagnostic options before having a synovial biopsy.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Arthroscopy. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00109.
- Bresnihan B. Are synovial biopsies of diagnostic value? Arthritis Res Ther. 2003;5(6):271-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14680502.
- Bresnihan B, Tak PP, Emery P, Klareskog L, Breedveld F. Synovial biopsy in arthritis research: five years of concerted European collaboration. Ann Rheum Dis 2000;59:506-511. http://ard.bmj.com/content/59/7/506.full.
- Joint Aspiration (Arthrocentesis). Kids Health from Nemours Foundation. http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medical/arthrocentesis.html.
- Singhal O, Kaur V, Kalhan S, Singhal MK, Gupta A, et al. Arthroscopic synovial biopsy in definitive diagnosis of joint diseases: An evaluation of efficacy and precision. Int J App Basic Med Res 2012;2:102-6. http://www.ijabmr.org/article.asp?issn=2229-516X;year=2012;volume=2;issue=2;spage=102;epage=106;aula....
- Vordenbäumen S, Joosten LA, Friemann J, Schneider M, Ostendorf B. Utility of synovial biopsy. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11(6):256. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19951395.