What is scar revision surgery?
Scar revision surgery improves the appearance of a scar. Scar revision surgery may involve relocating a scar. Most people seek scar revision surgery for cosmetic reasons. Scar revision surgery is sometimes medically necessary to restore function of the affected body part or to relieve symptoms, such as pain.
Scar revision surgery has risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your treatment choices before having scar revision surgery.
Types of scar revision surgeries
The types of scar revision surgeries include:
Punch graft involves punching out a core of skin containing the scar and filling it with a core of unscarred skin from another area. Punch grafts are especially useful for small, deep scars such as acne scars.
Scar excision involves cutting out the scar and closing the incision. A new scar will form, but it should be less visible than the original scar.
Z or W-plasty involves cutting a series of triangular flaps through the scar in a “Z” or “W” pattern. This can reposition the new scar into natural creases or relieve a contracted scar by cutting across fibrous tissue.
Other procedures that may be performed
Your doctor may perform other procedures in addition to scar revision surgery. These include:
Autologous fat transfer or collagen injection to fill in sunken or depressed scars
Dermabrasion and laser resurfacing to improve the surface appearance of the scar by treating the top skin layers
Skin grafting or skin flaps to take healthy skin from one area and transplant it to cover the area where the scar was surgically removed
Tissue expansion to create extra skin near the scar that will cover the area once the scar is surgically removed
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Batra RS. Surgical techniques for scar revision. Skin Therapy Lett. 2005;10(4):4-7. http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2005/10.4/2.html.
- Pile, JC. Evaluating postoperative fever: A focused approach. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2006;73 (Suppl 1):S62. http://www.ccjm.org/content/73/Suppl_1/S62.full.pdf+html.
- Scar Revision. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Reconstructive-Procedures/Scar-Revision.html.
- Scar Revision. Penn Medicine, University of Pennsylvania. http://www.pennmedicine.org/plasticsurgery/cosmetic/scar.html.
- Scars. University of Chicago Medicine. http://www.uchospitals.edu/online-library/content=p00313.
- Understanding Facial Scar Treatment. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/facial_scar.html.