At Your Appointment
What to Ask About Knee Osteoarthritis
What is labrum repair?
Labrum repair is surgery that treats a torn labrum. Labral tears often result from acute injuries, overuse injuries, and joint dislocations. Labrum repair relieves symptoms and restores joint stability, strength, and range of motion.
The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds a joint such as the hip – acetabular labrum – or shoulder – glenoid labrum. It forms a strong rim or cuff around the socket of ball and socket joints. This rim deepens the socket and provides stability to the joint. The labrum also serves as an attachment point for ligaments and tendons.
Injuries to the labrum can cause deep joint pain, joint looseness and instability, and changes in range of motion. Popping, clicking, catching or locking of the joint can also occur.
Labrum repair is major surgery with serious risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your treatment choices before having labrum repair.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Arthroscopic Labral Repair Protocol – Type II, IV and Complex Tears. Brigham and Women’s Hospital: Department of Rehabilitation Services. http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Patients_Visitors/pcs/RehabilitationServices/Physical%20Therapy%20St....
- Labral Tears. Cedars-Sinai. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Orthopaedic-Center/Sports-Medicine/Labral....
- Labral Tears FAQ. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. http://www.wakehealth.edu/Orthopaedic-Services/Knees-and-Hips/Labral-Tears-FAQ.htm.
- Shoulder Joint Tear (Glenoid Labrum Tear). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00426.
- SLAP Tears. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00627.
- What Is a Labrum/Labral Tear? Johns Hopkins Medicine: Orthopaedic Surgery. http://www.hopkinsortho.org/labrum_tear.html.