What is hybrid coronary bypass?
Hybrid coronary bypass is surgery that combines minimally invasive robot-assisted bypass with coronary angioplasty and stenting. Your surgeon may recommend this surgery if you have a major blockage in the left anterior descending (LAD) coronary artery and smaller blockages in other coronary arteries. Some hospitals are equipped to provide both procedures at the same time, while others provide the procedures in two stages.
Your coronary arteries are the vessels that supply the heart muscle with blood. Bypass surgery uses a graft to create a new route for blood to flow around a narrowed or blocked coronary artery. A graft is a healthy vessel taken from other places in your body.
Coronary angioplasty widens or opens a blocked or narrowed coronary artery. Stenting involves inserting a mesh tube inside your coronary artery and expanding it to keep it open after angioplasty. Stents remain in place to keep your coronary artery open.
Hybrid coronary bypass is major surgery that has risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your treatment choices before having hybrid coronary bypass.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Bonatti J, Schachner T, Bonaros N, Lehr EJ, Zimrin D, et al. Robotically Assisted Totally Endoscopic Coronary Bypass Surgery. Circulation. 2011;124: 236-244. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/124/2/236.full.
- Hybrid Approach to Coronary Artery Disease. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalprofs/hybrid-approach-coronary-artery-disease.html.
- Hybrid Intervention. University of Maryland Medical Center. http://umm.edu/programs/heart/services/programs/surgery/cabg/hybrid.
- Pile, JC. Evaluating postoperative fever: A focused approach. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2006;73 (Suppl 1):S62. http://ccjm.org/content/73/Suppl_1/S62.full.pdf.
- Robotically Assisted Coronary Bypass Surgery. Cleveland Clinic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/surgery/robotically-assisted-coronary-artery-bypass-sur....
- Verhaegh AJ, Accord RE, van Garsse L, Maessen JG. Hybrid coronary revascularization as a safe, feasible, and viable alternative to conventional coronary artery bypass grafting: what is the current evidence? Minim Invasive Surg. 2013;2013:142616. doi: 10.1155/2013/142616. Epub 2013 Apr 3. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mis/2013/142616/.