What is a gastrectomy?
A gastrectomy is the surgical removal of part or all of the stomach. Your doctor may recommend a gastrectomy to treat cancer, benign tumors, severe ulcers, and other conditions that damage the stomach. Your doctor may perform a gastrectomy for some ulcers of the small intestine just after your stomach. Some types of bariatric surgery (weight-loss surgery) include a gastrectomy.
Gastrectomy is a major surgery with significant risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your treatment choices before having a gastrectomy.
Types of gastrectomy
The types of gastrectomy procedures include:
- Partial gastrectomy is the removal of part of the stomach. Your doctor attaches your small intestine to the remaining healthy part of the stomach.
- Total gastrectomy is the removal of the entire stomach. Your doctor attaches the small intestine to the esophagus.
- Sleeve gastrectomy (also called vertical sleeve gastrectomy and stomach stapling) is the removal of a large part of the stomach to help with weight loss. Your doctor uses staples to create a smaller stomach and attaches the small intestine to the remaining stomach.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Gastrectomy. Baylor College of Surgery. http://www.debakeydepartmentofsurgery.org/home/content.cfm?proc_name=gastrectomy&content_id=272.
- Gastrectomy. Medline Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002945.htm.
- Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer Syndrome (CDH1). Stanford Medicine Cancer Institute. http://cancer.stanford.edu/patient_care/services/geneticCounseling/HDGC.html.
- Post-Gastrectomy Syndrome Overview. Cleveland Clinic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/post_gastrectomy_syndrome/dd_overview.aspx.
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy. PubMed Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004677/.
- Pile, JC. Evaluating postoperative fever: A focused approach. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2006;73 (Suppl 1):S62.http://ccjm.org/content/73/Suppl_1/S62.full.pdf