What is Essure?
Essure provides permanent birth control for women. Essure involves inserting a small coil, called a micro-insert, into both fallopian tubes. The body forms scar tissue over the micro-inserts. This permanently blocks the fallopian tubes so a man’s sperm cannot reach a woman’s egg and fertilize it to begin a pregnancy.
The fallopian tubes are located in the lower abdominal (pelvic) area. They connect the ovaries to the uterus and provide a passage for sperm to move to a woman’s egg and for a fertilized egg to move into the uterus.
The Essure procedure is generally considered safe, but it does have risks and potential complications. They are many other birth control methods, each with its own risks and level of effectiveness. Discuss all of your birth control options with your doctor or healthcare provider to understand which option is right for you.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Birth control methods fact sheet. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women’s Health. http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm.
- Common Questions about Essure. Conceptus Inc. http://www.essure.com/what-is-essure/common-questions.
- Hysteroscopic Sterilization: History and Current Methods. Greenberg, James A. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Summer; 1(3): 113–121. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2582641/.
- Sterilization for Women and Men. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq011.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20120806T1648034907.
- Use of Hysterosalpingography After Tubal Sterilization. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Gynecologic_Practice/....
- What Can I Expect? Conceptus Inc. http://www.essure.com/what-can-i-expect/essure-confirmation-test.
- What is Essure? Conceptus Inc. http://www.essure.com/what-is-essure/what-is-essure.