What is ear reshaping (otoplasty)?
Ear reshaping, or otoplasty, is surgery to correct misshapen or deformed ears. Ear reshaping is a type of plastic surgery on the outer ear. Doctors may recommend otoplasty for medical reasons, such as the repair of ear abnormalities from birth defects or injuries. Some people seek otoplasty for cosmetic reasons to change the size or shape of their ears.
Ear reshaping is a common but major surgery with risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all your cosmetic or treatment choices before having ear reshaping.
Other procedures that may be performed
Your doctor may perform other procedures in addition to ear reshaping to enhance the appearance of your ears. For example, your doctor may recommend ear pinning surgery, another type of otoplasty, if you feel your ears stick out too far.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Ear Surgery: Otoplasty. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/ear-surgery.html.
- Ear Surgery. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/otoplasty.html.
- Ear Pinning (Otoplasty). Palo Alto Medical Foundation. http://www.pamf.org/plasticfacialsurgery/Services/earpin.html.
- Ear Plastic Surgery. American Academy of Otolaryngology -Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/earPlasticSurgery.cfm.
- Ear Reshaping. NHS. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ear-reshaping/Pages/Introduction.aspx.
- Otoplasty (Ear Reshaping). The Cleveland Clinic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/Cosmetic_Surgery/hic_Otoplasty_Ear_Reshaping.aspx.
- Ear Surgery (Otoplasty). The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. http://www.surgery.org/consumers/procedures/head/ear-surgery.
- Congenital Ear Deformity. Shriners Hospitals for Children. http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/CareAndTreatment/Burns/CongenitalEarDeformity.aspx.
- Malformations of the External Ear. TheFetus.net. http://www.sonoworld.com/Fetus/page.aspx?id=205.