What is dental bonding?
Dental bonding is a cosmetic procedure that improves the look of chipped, cracked, discolored and misshapen teeth. Dental bonding is also used for many other purposes in dentistry. This article focuses on dental bonding for cosmetics. It involves applying a composite resin material that makes your teeth look like intact teeth that are white or another desired shade.
Dental bonds are like shallow dental fillings. They are not as durable as dental veneers or crowns, which are also used to repair or improve the look of damaged teeth. Dental bonds are typically used on the front teeth for cosmetic procedures. Otherwise, dental bonding does frequently take place on the back teeth as well.
Dental bonding is generally very safe, but it does have risks and potential complications. It is only one method used to repair teeth or enhance their appearance. Discuss all of your treatment options with your dentist to understand which options are right for you.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Are There Other Alternatives for Improving My Smile? Colgate Oral and Dental Health Resource Center. http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Cosmetic-Dentistry/Bonding/Bonding-Basic....
- Bonding. Colgate Oral and Dental Health Resource Center. http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Cosmetic-Dentistry/Bonding/Bonding-Basic....
- Cosmetic Dentistry. The American Society for Dental Aesthetics. http://www.asdatoday.com/cosmetic_dentistry.php.
- Dental Bonding. Cleveland Clinic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/dental_care/hic_dental_bonding.aspx.
- Here comes the bride… American Dental Association. http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceAndResearch/pdfs/patient_38.pdf.