What is a carotid endarterectomy?
A carotid endarterectomy is a surgery to remove plaque buildup from your carotid arteries. It is a treatment for carotid artery disease and can help prevent a stroke. Carotid endarterectomy involves opening the carotid arteries in your neck and removing the inner lining that has become diseased or damaged by plaque.
You have two carotid arteries, one on each side of your neck. They are the major arteries that carry blood from your heart to your brain. A buildup of plaque can narrow or block your carotid arteries. This is called carotid artery disease, and it puts you at risk of stroke.
A carotid endarterectomy is a major surgery with significant risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your treatment choices before having a carotid endarterectomy.
Other procedures that may be performed
Your doctor may perform one or more diagnostic procedures in addition to a carotid endarterectomy. These procedures will tell your doctor how much plaque is in your carotid arteries. They include:
Carotid angiography is a procedure that allows your doctor to take a picture or image (called an angiogram) of your carotid arteries
Carotid ultrasound is a noninvasive, painless screening test that allows your doctor to examine your carotid arteries and evaluate the flow of blood through them.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Biller J, Feinberg WM, Castaldo JE, Whittemore AD, Harbaugh RE, Dempsey RJ, et al. Guidelines for carotid endarterectomy: a statement for healthcare professionals from a special writing group of the stroke council, American Heart Association. Circulation. 1998;97:501-509. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/97/5/501.full
- Carotid Endarterectomy. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/carend/carend_what.html
- Carotid Endarterectomy. Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/carotid-endarterectomy.aspx
- Deep Cervical Plexus Block. The New York School of Regional Anesthesia. http://www.nysora.com/peripheral_nerve_blocks/nerve_stimulator_techniques/3102-deep-cervical-plexus-...
- Pile, JC. Evaluating postoperative fever: A focused approach. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2006;73 (Suppl 1):S62. http://ccjm.org/content/73/Suppl_1/S62.full.pdf
- Questions and Answers about Carotid Endarterectomy. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/carotid_endarterectomy_backgrounder.htm