Allegation of Complaint:
Dr Santhosh Augustine; License # 9600445
Nature of Complaint:
The Physicaian committed professional misconduct during his performance of an esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD).
The Physician commented to his assistants that he could do the procedure with his eyes closed and tilted his head back and appeared to close his eyes. He told them that could put sponges in front of his eyes if they thought he was looking and one assistant placed a sponge in front of each eye but did not touch his face.
The Physician has Voluntarily Surrendered his license to practice medicine in the State of North Carolina.
December 14, 2007-Final Order
The Physician completed an in-depth evaluation and entered into a contract with the North Carolina Physicians Health Program.
The Board has reinstated the Physician's license and Suspended the license indefinitely.
January 2, 2009-Consent Order
The physician completed a thorough evaluation and has entered into a contract with the North Carolina Physicians Health Program.
The physician has entered into a Consent Order with the North Carolina Medical Board subject to the following:
- The board has granted the physician a temporary license to practice medicine in the State of North Carolina for a period of six months to expire on 07-01-2009.
- The physician shall maintain his contract with NCPHP.
- The physician shall increase his counseling sessions to a minimum of two times per month.
- The physician shall obtain a physician preceptor to observe and provide a report to the Board President of twenty representative samples of endoscopic procedures performed.
- The physician shall obey all laws and all rules governing the practice of medicine in the State of North Carolina.
- The physician shall appear before the board upon request.
May 21, 2009-Full License
The North Carolina Medical Board has granted the physician a full license to practice medicine in the State of North Carolina.