Dr. Von Borstel II's Background
Research training, expertise and qualifications
- Psychiatry, 2005
Procedures Dr. Von Borstel II Performs
Dr. Von Borstel II does not have any procedures listed. If you are Dr. Von Borstel II and would like to add procedures you perform, please update your free profile.
Conditions Dr. Von Borstel II Treats
Dr. Von Borstel II does not have any conditions listed. If you are Dr. Von Borstel II and would like to add conditions you treat, please update your free profile.
Background Check for Dr. Von Borstel II
0 Malpractice Claims
- No malpractice history found for Oregon.
- Professional Misconduct (2/5/2009)
- Action Taken: Surrender
- Allegation of Complaint:
Dr. Robert Carsten Von Borstel, II; License # MD22078
Nature of Complaint:
The physician engaged in unprofessional or dishonorable conduct, gross or repeated acts of negligence, violation of the Federal Controlled Substances Act, and prescribed controlled substances without a legitimate medical purpose or without following accepted procedures for examination of patients or recordkeeping.
The physician in October 2001 began seeing a social friend as a patient who the physician knew was a heroin addict. The physician prescribed Clonazepam with periodic refills without patient records, regular office visits or urine monitoring. The physician also from October 2001 through 2003 provided therapy approximately every six months in which the patient's visits were not charted and the physician failed to refer the patient to a drug treatment center. The physician also between 2005 and 2007 violated professional boundaries by extending loans and monetary gifts to the patient. The physician also in 2006 engaged in sexual misconduct by entering into a sexual relationship with the patient for about three months. The physician also on two occasions used Schedule I controlled substances with the patient. The physician also in January 2007 prescribed morphine sulphate to taper the patient off of heroin and in August 2007 prescribed buprenorphine and failed to maintain appropriate records or follow monitoring protocol.
The physician also provided psychiatric care to another patient and failed to maintain adequate medical records for this patient. The physician also prescribed the patient Lithium without appropriate pre-lithium laboratory analysis and failed to montior the patient's lithium levels.
The physician completed a continuing medical education course in maintaining proper boundaries and has been in ongoing psychotherapy since October 2007.
The physician has entered into a Stipulated Order with the Oregon Medical Board subject to the following:
- The physician has Surrendered his license to practice medicine in the State of Oregon while under investigation and shall not practice any form of medicine including administrative medicine and individual medical examinations.
- The physician has been issued a Reprimand from the board.
- The physician shall pay a Fine in the amount of $2500.00 within six months.
- In the event the physician seeks re-licensure in the future, the physician will be required to undergo a multi-disciplinary evaluation and present a re-entry plan for board approval.
- State: Oregon
0 Board Actions
- No board actions found for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
Education & Training
- Oregon Health and Science University School Of Medicine
- Graduated in 1995
- Or Health and Science University
- Or Health and Science University
- Complete in 1997
Languages Spoken by Dr. Von Borstel II & Staff