Procedures Dr. Benton Performs
Dr. Benton does not have any procedures listed. If you are Dr. Benton and would like to add procedures you perform, please update your free profile.
Conditions Dr. Benton Treats
Dr. Benton does not have any conditions listed. If you are Dr. Benton and would like to add conditions you treat, please update your free profile.
Background Check for Dr. Benton
- No malpractice history found for Georgia.
- No sanctions history found for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
- Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (2/3/2012)
- Action Taken: Release from Prior Order
- Summary: Please reference the following Document
- State: Georgia
- Documentation: Download here (PDF)
- Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (4/1/2010)
- Action Taken: Education
Dr. Patricia Lee Benton; License # 18983; Docket Number 20100069
Nature of Complaint:
A Georgia Composite Medical Board approved peer reviewer evaluated the diagnosis, treatment, and records for thirteen patients and concluded that the physician's diagnosis, treatment, and records in 2003 and 2004 for the patients departed from and failed to conform to the minimum standard of acceptable and prevailing medical practice. There was inadequate documentation in the patient records of any type of physical examination beyond a cursory observation of the patient's general appearance. There was inadequate physician documentation regarding side effects and tolerance. There was no documentation in the records to support large prescriptions of controlled medications. The documentation in the patients charts is substandard due to the extreme brevity and incompleteness of the notes. Treatment plans are not documented in the patient records.
- The physician shall maintain a prescription log for inspection of all controlled substances prescribed, administered, dispensed or ordered by the physician.
- The prescription log shall include the date, patient name, drug, strength, quantity, and refill status on a Board approved form.
- The prescription log shall include the diagnosis and the reasons for prescribing, administering, dispensing or ordering each drug.
- The physician after one year of compliance with the above requirement may petition for removal or modification of this prescription log requirement for all controlled substances.
- The physician prior to prescribing, administering, ordering or dispensing any controlled substance shall detail fully the examination performed, tests ordered, test results, and diagnosis reached in the patient's file.
- The physician shall specifically record all physical data of the patient, detail the exact nature of the physician's evaluation of the patient including the supporting diagnostic patient record on all patients.
- The physician within six months of the effective date of the Consent Order shall submit written documentation to the Board that the physician has successfully completed the mini-residency Appropriate Prescribing of Controlled Substances: A Program for Physicians and Dentists sponsored by the Mercer University of Southern School of Pharmacy in Atlanta.
- The physician shall pay a fine in the amount of $3,000.00 within ninety days.
- The physician has been issued a public reprimand by the Board.
- State: Georgia
Education & Training
Languages Spoken by Dr. Benton & Staff