Dr. Chan's Experience
- General Surgery
- General Surgery
- Dressing and-or Debridement of Wound, Infection, or Burn (incl. Negative Pressure Wound Therapy)
- Gallbladder Removal (Cholecystectomy), Laparoscopic
- Port Placements or Replacements
- Removal or Destruction of Rectal or Intestinal Tumor (incl. Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, Sigmoidoscopy & Control of Hemorrhage)
- Abdominal Pain
- Breast Cancer
- Cholecystitis and Gallstones
- Diaphragmatic and-or Hiatal Hernia
- Intestinal Obstruction
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
- Secondary Malignancies
Background Check for Dr. Chan
- No malpractice history found for Virginia.
- Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (5/6/2010)
- Action Taken: Reprimand
Dr. Oscar Chan; License # 0101235986
Nature of Complaint:
The physician failed to properly recognize, assess, diagnose, treat, and timely respond to a patient's deteriorating condition following surgery on 10-18-2007 to treat esophageal cancer.
The physician assisted during the patient's laparoscopic transhiatal esophagectomy and provided post-operative surgical care to the patient. The patient's symptoms on 10-23-2007 were clinically indicative of a post-operative anastomotic leak. The physician failed to intervene surgically until 11-09-2007 by which time the patient's condition had significantly deteriorated.
The patient's symptoms on 11-01-2007 indicated that the patient had developed an abscess and/or hematoma in the subhepatic space. The physician did not take significant steps until 11-05-2007 when a CT directed drain was placed. The subhepatic space was not substantially explored until 11-09-2007 when the physician performed laparoscopic surgery.
The physician on 11-09-2007 performed surgery to treat the patient's hepatic hematoma, however, the physician failed to explore the anastomosis, esophageal diversion, and transaction staple line in order to identify and treat the source of the leak that had developed after the esophagetcomy. The patient following laparoscopic surgery aspirated and developed pneumonia and expired on 12-05-2007.
The physician has been issued a Reprimand by the Virginia Board of Medicine.
- State: Virginia
- No board actions found for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
Education & Training
Languages Spoken by Dr. Chan & Staff