Allegation of Complaint:
Noemi Prieto, MD License # 26529-20
Nature of Complaint
The physician operated and was employed a physician at Southeastern Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, and she was its chief executive officer. The physician recruited and hired an unlicensed physician since a qualified Spanish speaking pediatrician was needed to treat minority children and to conduct a study of childhood obesity among Hispanic children. The physician’s intent was that a qualified physician and/or nurse practitioner would direct, supervise and inspect the unlicensed physician’s actions. During the employment period of March 2006 and March 2007, the unlicensed physician engaged in the practice of medicine including examining, treating, prescribing and advising patients. However, the unlicensed physician provided these services without the direction, supervision or inspection of a qualified physician. Patients were charged for the services of the unlicensed physician, including billing third-party payers. The physician sometimes provided pre-signed, otherwise black prescription forms, for the unlicensed physician to use when no physician was present.
The Wisconsin Medical Examining Board has issued a Final Decision and Order in which the following is ORDERED and is not limited to the following.
- The physician’s license to practice medicine and surgery in the State of Wisconsin is Reprimanded.
- The physician’s medical license is Limited for a period of two years, including and not limited to completion of Board approved related continuing education and provide proof of completion to the Board.
- In the two years following this Order, the administration of any practice with which the physician is affiliated shall undergo assessment, evaluation, correction and monitoring of practice administration.
- The physician shall develop and implement written practice policies which must be approved by the Board.
- The physician shall pay costs and fees in the amount of $4,800.00.