Dr. Milam's Background
Research training, expertise and qualifications
Procedures Dr. Milam Performs
Dr. Milam doesn't have any procedures listed. If you're Dr. Milam and would like to add procedures, please log in to the physician portal to update your profile.
Conditions Dr. Milam Treats
Dr. Milam doesn't have any conditions listed. If you're Dr. Milam and would like to add conditions, please log in to the physician portal to update your profile.
Background Check for Dr. Milam
- No malpractice history found for Texas.
- No sanctions history found for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
- 2013-12-05T23:50:09 (4/9/2010)
- Action Taken: Education
Allegation of Complaint:
Dr. Mary Milam; License # E4529
Nature of Complaint:
The physician exhibited unprofessional conduct when she made insensitive remarks to the patient, a 56 year-old man who had been diagnosed with cancer. In January 2007, the patient was diagnosed with Stage III adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon, involving 18 regional lymph nodes. In November 2007, after receiving chemotherapy treatment, the follow-up scans showed that the patient had enlarged liver metastases. A biopsy of the mass confirmed a metastatic colon carcinoma. The physician reported the findings to the patient and informed him and his wife of the few remaining additional treatment options. The patient, with his wife present, after stating that he really did not know much about medicine, asked the physician what she would do in this situation, to which she replied, “If it were me, I would get a bottle, and a gun and go into the woods.” Despite the calloused remark, the physician proceeded to set up appointments with a physician to consult on performing cyber knife surgery and indicated that the patient could also go to a cancer center, such as M.D. Anderson, to explore additional treatment options. Although there was no failure by the physician to meet the generally accepted standard of care for this patient, the physician’s insensitivity to the patient’s concern about the next steps in treatment was unprofessional conduct.
Action Taken-Agreed Order:
The Texas Medical Board Orders that the physician shall be subject, but not limited to, the following terms and conditions:
- The physician shall successfully complete at least 16 hours of CME.
- The physician shall pay an administrative penalty in the amount of $1,000 within 60 days of the entry of this order.
- The physician shall comply with all the provisions of the Act and other statutes regulating her practice.
- The physician shall fully cooperate with the Board.
- The physician shall be permitted to supervise and delegate prescriptive authority to physician assistants and advanced practice nurses and to supervise surgical assistants.
- This Order shall automatically terminate upon the physician’s submission of sufficient evidence that she successful completed the CME requirements, and paid the administrative penalty of $1,000.
- State: Texas
Education & Training
Languages Spoken by Dr. Milam & Staff