Dr. Matthews' Background
Research training, expertise and qualifications
- Neurology, 1986
- EMG (Electromyography)
- Nerve Block, Somatic
- Non-Cosmetic Botox® Injections
- Bell's Palsy
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cerebral Vascular Disease
- Cerebrovascular Disease
- Cluster Headache
- Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
- Intervertebral Disc Herniation
- Low Back Pain
- Menstrual Migraine
- Radiculopathy (not Due to Disc Displacement)
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Sleep Apnea
- Spinal Stenosis
- Tension Headache
- Tourette's Syndrome
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
Background Check for Dr. Matthews
Malpractice Claims not available
- Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for North Carolina.
- Sexual Abuse of or Sexual Misconduct with a Patient (5/12/2002)
- Action Taken: Surrender
- Allegation of Complaint:
Dr. Charles Joseph Matthews, Lic #0000-27245
NATURE OF COMPLAINT
Dr. Matthews engaged in a sexual relationship with two patients in 1998 and 2001. He transferred care of one patient to another physician but began treating the patient again and continued the sexual relationship.Dr. Matthews surrendered his license in lieu of disciplinary action.
Voluntary surrender of license.
04/17/03: Consent Order for License Reinstatement
Dr. Matthews successfully competed four weeks of an inpatient treatment program at the Behavioral Medicine Institute in August 2002 and has continued his treatment as an outpatient. He has signed a contract with the NCPHP and has been compliant.
- Dr. Matthews is issued a license to expire on 08/31/03
- Because of the Board’s concern about his prescribing practices, he will no longer prescribe opiates to chronic pain patients and will transfer their care should they need opiates
- He shall ensure a female chaperone is present any time he is in a room with a female patient
- He shall continue his therapy and comply with all recommendations made
- He shall continue his treatment with his psychiatrist and comply with all recommendations made
- He shall maintain and abide by a contract with the NCPHP
- He shall undergo a polygraph examination every six months
- He must comply with other conditions
07/17/03: Temporary license extended to expire 01/31/04.
12/18/03: Temporary license extended to expire 06/30/04.
05/20/04: Temporary license extended to expire 11/30/04.
11/18/04: Reinstated full license.
April 24, 2006-Amended Consent Order
The Board has removed 'inpatient treatment' from the original order.
All other requirements remain in effect.
April 28, 2006-Order Terminated
The Physician has complied with the Order.
- State: North Carolina
0 Board Actions
- No board actions found for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
Education & Training
- University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
- Graduated in 1978
- Carney Hospital
- University Ky
Languages Spoken by Dr. Matthews & Staff