Allegation of Complaint:
Dr. Charles Lawrence Gaillard; License # 22444
Nature of Complaint:
The Abbeville County on 07-14-2009 issued the physician arrest warrants for two counts of Criminal Sexual Conduct-Third Degree, two counts of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, and one count of Assault and Battery of a High and Aggravated Nature. The physician on 08-14-2009 was processed and released by the Abbeville Sheriff's Office in connection with the charges.
The physician began abusing Lortab, Ativan and Hydrocodone cough syrup in 2007 shortly after he killed three of his hunting dogs following an incident where they killed a neighbor's goats. The physician obtained Lortab, Ativan and Hydrocodone cough syrup by Internet orders, diversion from the physician's practice, and self-prescribing. The physician's substance abuse continued through 06-30-2009 when the physician entered the Ridgeview Institute in Atlanta, Georgia for detox and treatment. The physician was discharged from Ridgeview on 07-13-2009. The physician on 07-14-2009 was admitted to Menninger for treatment and was discharged on 08-11-2009. The physician on September 21, 22, and 23, 2009 underwent the South Carolina State Board of Medical Examiners ordered evaluation. The physician admitted to having sexual affairs with two patients and three staff members. The physician from 10-19-2009 to 12-18-2009 entered the intensive day treatment program at BMI wherein it was determined that the physician would not pose a significant safety to his patients or staff regarding his past professional sexual misconduct contingent upon compliance with several conditions.
The physician on 01-20-2010 waived venue and pled guilty to Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor in Greenwood County. The physician denied all charges related to sexual misconduct with a minor but admitted to providing alcohol to a minor and was sentenced to a fine in the amount of $750.00.
Action Taken-Final Order
The South Carolina State Board of Medical Examiners has issued the physician a Public Reprimand and has Suspended the physician's license to practice medicine in the State of South Carolina. The suspension has been Stayed subject to the following conditions:
- The physician shall successfully complete BMI Treatment per BMI recommendations.
- The physician shall continue enrollment and actively participate in the South Carolina Recovering Professional Programs until the board releases the physician from this requirement.
- The physician shall successfully complete treatment for his psychiatric conditions from a board approved psychiatrist.
- The physician must obtain board approval for workplace setting and work schedule.
- The physician shall pay a Fine in the amount of $10,000.00 and investigative costs in the amount of $2,563.00 within six months.
- The physician shall appear before the board annually for an interview and must provide satisfactory updates of his progress regarding his continued participation and completion of the above conditions.